Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plugged or Unplug

Forum Addict

Plugged or Unplug

We just had some damn good lightning snappin here. One very close too. Some say i never unplug anything, If you get hit you get hit. Myself being on the it takes forever to save up to buy a radio side, Unplug everything including the ground. The tower legs are grounded, But thats it. Never lost anything...... YET !!

Re: Plugged or Unplug

Shut down and unplug.

Rigs are switched via antenna switches to dummy loads, and the antennas which are connected to the tuners are grounded.

Except in the case of big supercells roaming the area - then, EVERYTHING is disconnected.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Re: Plugged or Unplug

You can get caught by surprise when asleep or away from home so maybe it's better to plug in only when in use?
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Too lazy and that is what homeowners insurance is for.

"A night sky full of cries. Hearts filled with lies. The contract: is it worth the price?"

Quote Originally Posted by KB3LAZ View Post
    Too lazy and that is what homeowners insurance is for.
    Better check your deductibles and the fine print on your policy. If you don't like what you read or hear from your agent, either find a different insurance company, or call W3WH at Ham Radio Insurance Associates for supplemental coverage!
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Forum Addict
    Would you buy a used car from this man ?? :stickpoke::rofl::rofl:

Hard to say, while all used car salesmen are vampires not all vampires are used car salesmen... most are politicians.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
    Hard to say, while all used car salesmen are vampires not all vampires are used car salesmen... most are politicians.
    I know I'm going to regret doing this, but it's just too good an opportunity to pass up...

Are you saying that this implies that most politicians suck?
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

In 2005 I lost two computers due to lightning. First one came through a back window, heard the computer "pop" even though it was off and then it left through the front window in the kitchen. It was a ball about the size of a baseball.
    Second time it came though the wall, hovered between the wall and the back of the computer for half a second, "popped" and then dissipated. It was another ball but smaller than a marble and it left a mark on the wall like a sunburst. Very light in coloring, gray, not really black.

I did not have any radios set up at the time but two hard hits two months apart really concerned me. We've not had a lightning "problem" in the past but I noticed the sound that the storms had to them was especially strange. Like it was being contained in a long tube and the whole time I would have that feeling on my skin that I was about to get hit. Why was my little section so attractive to the electromagnetic waves as all the storms that occurred during this period all had that sound and feel.
    I looked around and noticed how there was nothing to bleed off the static close enough to the dwelling. Trees to the back of the back yard. Very very tall trees across the street in the neighbor's front yard. Trees towards the furthest side of one side neighbor and the other side neighbor only had trees way back furthest away from me. So, was I like in a bowl filling up with electrons that were just sitting there drawing in electromagnetic turbulence? I was going to put up my Antron anyway so I did. I've always grounded the outer connectors, skin, whatever you wish to call it on that antenna. Whether it was just coincidence or not, the next storm to pass though did not have that feel or sound to it. Nor did the next storm, nor the one after, and so on, and so on etc ad nauseum.

So, was it my actions? Probably had something to do with it. If nothing else, this story should serve as advice. Disconnect and GROUND your antenna because they are probably bleeding off electrons during a storm and maybe even saving your azz from a direct lightning strike.

If at all possible, you should utilize shunt feeds and ground the tower, antennas and all control cable shields.

Ladderline gets a big double knife switch for disconnection purposes.

Coaxial-equipped, series-fed antennas such as dipoles get their feedlines grounded or disconnected altogether. It's possible in some cases to bleed off static from a series-fed antenna via a 2+ mH RF choke run from the feedpoint to ground; I have one at the base of each of my Hustler verticals.

Trans-Traps, Blitz Bugs and similar EMI suppression devices also provide a measure of protection when placed in the feedline near the service entrance and connected to a GOOD ground.

Lastly - unplug everything from the wall during big storms with lots of C-G lightning. Period.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."