Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more from the "can't make this up" dept.

more from the "can't make this up" dept.

Any Machinist's Mate could have told the brass that aluminum on steel, mixed with seawater, is a really bad path to follow.
    http://nation.time.com/2011/07/05/u-...d-by-seawater/
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by W5GA View Post
    Any Machinist's Mate could have told the brass that aluminum on steel, mixed with seawater, is a really bad path to follow.
    http://nation.time.com/2011/07/05/u-...d-by-seawater/
    Anyone with a basic understanding of how a battery works could tell them that dissimilar metals submerged in an electrolyte results in ions flowing from one metal to the other.
    All the world’s a stage, but obviously the play is unrehearsed and everybody is ad-libbing his lines. Maybe that’s why it’s hard to tell if we’re living in a tragedy or a farce.

I thought that was the whole idea.

For the ships to be energy independant like giant batteries. ;)

The electrical code in Ocean County, NJ bans aluminium EMT so it's not sold here. Makes a good antenna mast but I had to go to a supply house up north to get it. I can see why, aluminium antennas corrode rather quickly in the salt air so not surprisingly there is no such thing as an aluminium hull boat around here except for row boats that are only in the water a few hours at a time. Then there are steel bridge supports with replaceable zinc anodes and active electrolytic protection has been used on steel hull ships for years. Time to coin a new phrase or rather re-strike an old coin; naval intelligence, a conflict in terms.

In the Navy...
    They want you! They want you! They want you as a new recruit!
    They want you! They want you! They want you as a new recruit!
    ..But..but..but I'm afraid of water!
    ..hey..hey..look, men...
    I get seasick even watching it on the TV!
    They want You! - Oh my goodness!
    They want you! - What am I gonna do in a submarine?
    They want you! They want you!
    On an aluminium hull ship
    To see how it sinks
    In the Navy.
    In the Navy...
    Last edited by kb2vxa; 08-26-2012 at 11:22 PM.
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by NY3V View Post
    I thought that was the whole idea.

For the ships to be energy independant like giant batteries. ;)
    All well and good, but it's a real pisser to have to swim the last couple of miles when you go to Japan! ;)
    When the government's boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence. — GARY LLOYD

The nation we live in is the nation we have built by design, each successive generation raising the wall of tyranny a little higher. - Chris Griffin

There are a lot of aluminium hulled ships on the ocean, passenger boats, luxury yachts, ferry's to name a few, but in the design phase one should take great care to use materials that won't let the hull be eaten up by the sea, and since lots of ships have been build and succesfully sail for decades it certainly is possible to use aluminium for hulls.
    http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/alum...ger-ferry.html
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Conch Master
    We have a "Beast" of a yacht slipped near us. A 91 foot 1981 Motor Yacht with all aluminum hull. Just keep up with your grounding, zinc anodes, through hulls and hire a bosun and crew to keep up with painting and bingo an aluminum hull is practical. Its in a bank foreclosure sale, so the only thing that appears to have been eaten up was the owners finances!
    Last edited by KK4AMI; 08-27-2012 at 07:56 AM.
    "Love Trumps Hate."
    "You Facist, Sexual Predator!"
    " I thought a lot about blowing up the White House"
    Uh Huh, What Love?

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC View Post
    Clitoral Combat Ships WHAT?
    Smells of fish.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Quote Originally Posted by KK4AMI View Post
    We have a "Beast" of a yacht slipped near us. A 91 foot 1981 Motor Yacht with all aluminum hull. Just keep up with your grounding, zinc anodes, through hulls and hire a bosun and crew to keep up with painting and bingo an aluminum hull is practical. Its in a bank foreclosure sale, so the only thing that appears to have been eaten up was the owners finances!
    Ever see the one that the CEO of Blockbuster has/had? Over 100 yards long and he had a yacht docked ON the yacht because the yacht was too large for regular docking. He had to take his smaller yacht in to get to shore.

Here are some sea faring vessels that people call yachts.
    http://yachtpals.com/largest-yachts-9067