Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: n00b

n00b

I want an oldie. Tell me everything there is to know.
    Hoping that I can get a better low-band antenna situation for this winter, would like some old tube equipment. Maybe use it on some AM?

However I have 2 big problems. One: I know nothing other than I need a transmitter and receiver. Two (possibly the biggest) I have absolutely zero experience in any service that would need to be done. I fear buying something, then ending up having it sit on my desk as eye candy and not using it.

Is vintage gear right for me?

Re: n00b

A well made Heathkit (working) with all the documentation, including the build manual.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Collins S-line or KWM-2(A).

Hallicrafters SR-150 or SR-500.

Eldico "twins". Extra points awarded if you can find the matching amplifier and station console.

Drake TR4CW/RIT + RV4C or a T4XB/R4B...maybe a T4XC/R4C combo at a decent price. Don't get caught up in the hype that an R4C (especially, a so-called 'late model') is somehow better than an R4B. In stock form, there's absolutely no way it is.

I have a whole bunch of spare receiving tubes if anyone needs one for their rigs. Free to Island members. Double the going price for everyone else.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

I may get a Drake myself one of these days. Maybe just the RX.

Suggested the Heathkit for the documentation about building it. Cheap too, remember he's only a lad, and the gasoline budget is important for drive by's at locations of cute girls.

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX
    Suggested the Heathkit for the documentation about building it. Cheap too, remember he's only a lad, and the gasoline budget is important for drive by's at locations of cute girls.
    The SB-101, SB-300/400 and related items would make a darn good "vintage" station in anyone's book. I saw such a setup (including the SB-610/620 'scopes and SB-200 amp) go for ~$1k on eBay a couple years back. If it weren't for the fact that at the time I had no place to put the stuff, I would have bought the outfit.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

SK Member (12/2/2011)

Quote Originally Posted by KU0DM

Is vintage gear right for me?
    You'll never know until you give it a try.

Drake 2B rcvr with the matching speaker/Q multiplier.

Heath DX-60 or Hallicrafters HT-40 xmitter, both controlled carrier type rigs.

What's the general consensus on Hammarlund gear?

Mostly, fantastic. I had a Hammarlund SP-600 in the early 70's, sold it before going to college. :wall

SK Member (12/2/2011)

Quote Originally Posted by KU0DM
    What's the general consensus on Hammarlund gear?
    Generally speaking, good stuff.

SK Member (12/2/2011)

Duncan, you really need to focus on KISS mode at first, that is the reason I suggested the rigs in my previous post. The old gear is far from plug & play, like modern ham gear most assuredly is these days.

Most of us old timers in vintage gear have a lineup of workbench test gear that is larger than most modern hams whole operation.

Find an old AMer in your area, if possible, to help and guide you along.

And always remember that you may get away with poking your fingers in a modern rig while powered BUT you may not get away with that even once on vintage gear. :shock:

Safety, safety, safety.