Thread: First key

Orca Whisperer

First key

Ok, ladies and gents. I have a poser. Currently, my cw key is a bent paper clip stapled to a piece of wood, and wired to the key jack on my radio (No joke, I'll post pics when I get home).

Should I go for the gusto and try to machine a key, or buy one? If you suggest buying one, what are some decent, but not way expensive (straight) keys? Most bang for the buck more or less (Hell, anything would be an upgrade from what I have).

If you suggest building one, are there some good plans out on the intarwebs somewhere?
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Re: First key

One of the following:

http://www.nyeviking.com/productsaccess.htm

Or head over to Fair Radio, Surplus Sales and similar antique dealers...look for a surplus J-38.

I prefer one of these:

http://www.vibroplex.com/straight_key.html

but if you're budget-minded, the Nye products are hard to beat.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Island Regular

My first key was a hacksaw blade and a thumbtack on a block of pine. My neighbor was a ham and had been the telegrapher for the Soo Line railroad, he had me build two keys and sounders then run wire through the pines from his shack to my bedroom. He would wake me up most days with the original landline Morse code.

I asked if he could teach me so I could get a merit badge. Later I use the setup to win first prize at the science fair at school.

My first factory made key was the cheepo plastic base one without the ball bearings from ratsack. Coupled to a homebuilt oscillator.

I’ve since bought a few others and had a few given to me. One of the homebrew ones I built a while back is a high back pump handle like a German one I saw on QRZ a while back.

I still cant copy code worth a hoot but the pump handle is less tiring than the J-38 type for me so far.

SK Member (12/2/2011)

For the low price and quality, go with the old J-38 military key.

Still found in dirty condition at hamfests for a few bucks each. :D

[quote="KA9VQF"]My first key was a hacksaw blade and a thumbtack on a block of pine.
    <snip>

Did it help cut through the QRM?

As far as a straight key goes, as others have posted, get a used beater cheap, plenty at the fests, and see how you like it. You can always upgrade. Or, maybe you can borrow one to try out and save your money for the custom made one you'll keep forever.
    A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory

RIP ALBI-W3MIV RIP RUSS-W5RB RIP BOB-VK3ZL