Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Question...

Windows Question...

A couple days ago my brother dropped off his computer... said he thought it might be infected with a trojan or virus. I fired up the machine and got a "blue death screen". I shut it down, fired it back up into "safe mode". I ran in "safe mode" at the command prompt level and tried running "chkdsk c: /F" but it balked because other processes are accessing the disc. So scheduled it to run on the next boot but it didn't seem to do anything. Then I decided to try a "system restore" back to the last known working configuration. That seemed to work, now windows boots up normally and you can access your accounts again. It seems a bit slow but, since it is not my machine it's hard to tell for certain if that is normal.

In any even it seems to be working, so, for the most part it would appear my job is done.

However, I am not very knowledgeable with Windows system. I am good with Linux and Unix systems but I am in the dark with a lot of Windows stuff. Is there anything else I should be checking BEFORE I return the machine as fixed ? Should I be running some virus scans or testing anything just to make sure ?

Any suggestions appreciated.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Re: Windows Question...

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize
    Is there anything else I should be checking BEFORE I return the machine as fixed ? Should I be running some virus scans or testing anything just to make sure ?

Any suggestions appreciated.
    Install, update, and run Malwarebytes. Install, update, and run Spybot Search & Destroy.

If it has Norton, get rid of it. If it has (s)MacAfee, get rid of it.

Install, update and run AVG.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

AND the links to those programs are on HamIsland website too.

Right now I'm doing a full disk scan via "Spyware Doctor" which is recommended on the "bleepingcomputer" page. It has so far found quite a few viruses and Trojans, including at least two high risk Trojans. We'll see what happens once the scan is finished and those threats are liquidated.

Now I seem to have another problem. My Dad's computer monitor won't turn on. I hope he has saved the receipt. It should still be under warranty.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

My Dad's computer monitor won't turn on.
    I just gotta ask...

Is it plugged in?

I have worked in various help desk capacities over the decades and this "problem" comes up fairly frequently. When we ask, "Is it plugged in?", 99 times out of 100 the response is, "Hang on, let me check." and a minute later "OK thanks, I think I see what the problem is. Thanks for your help. Buh-bye!" CLICK

Yeah, I know its your dad and there is no way he would do anything like that, but...

I'm just saying...
    Scott - NØIU
    http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/iub.jpg
    President - National Sarcasm Society
    "Like we need your support!"

Might also defrag the hard drive, de-install any unnecessary background tasks, run a registry scan, install any updates and and delete all his pr0n.

'Course, if you give it the "full service" job, you know who will be in charge of it from now on.

Since your gonna be systems support, a remote desktop capability is useful.

VNC or something. Make sure it's secure.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by n0iu
    My Dad's computer monitor won't turn on.
    I just gotta ask...

Is it plugged in?

I have worked in various help desk capacities over the decades and this "problem" comes up fairly frequently. When we ask, "Is it plugged in?", 99 times out of 100 the response is, "Hang on, let me check." and a minute later "OK thanks, I think I see what the problem is. Thanks for your help. Buh-bye!" CLICK

Yeah, I know its your dad and there is no way he would do anything like that, but...

I'm just saying...
    [youtube:236gmp6u]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmD_8cBqhW0[/youtube:236gmp6u]

Foamy the Squirrel cartoons... http://www.illwillpress.com/vault.html

Forum Addict

There have been some bad trojans going around. Not condoms either. have fun

Since nobody else has mentioned it, once other problems have been addressed you might want to check and see if it has sufficient RAM to avoid excessive disc caching. Many off the shelf computers have barely above the minimum installed and he may have one of them so it's like the ewe once told me, you can never have too much ram.
    (Bad joke, BBBAAAaaa.)
    "The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you."
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

73 de Warren KB2VXA
    Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.