Thread: More Great News.

More Great News.

Now I hear my brother has a virus (or some problem) with his computer and, of course what else, its being brought down here so...you know who can fix it.

If I had my life to live over I'd have majored in medieval literature in college or maybe skipped college and avoided any and all subjects that could even be remotely tied in with technology. Or, better yet, simply skipped college and become a basket weaver.For hobbies I would take up candle making or pottery. And the most sophisticated computing device I would keep handy would be a paper and an ordinary #2 lead pencil.... And even that I would keep well hidden from sight. .
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

SK Member (Late April, 2019) W4RLR's Avatar

Re: More Great News.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize
    Now I hear my brother has a virus (or some problem) with his computer and, of course what else, its being brought down here so...you know who can fix it.

If I had my life to live over I'd have majored in medieval literature in college or maybe skipped college and avoided any and all subjects that could even be remotely tied in with technology. Or, better yet, simply skipped college and become a basket weaver.For hobbies I would take up candle making or pottery. And the most sophisticated computing device I would keep handy would be a paper and an ordinary #2 lead pencil.... And even that I would keep well hidden from sight. .
    You can always tell him to deep six that Windows box and get a Mac.
    73 de Richard W4RLR
    Southern born,
    Southern bred, centrist conservative.
    Posting messages via HughesNet satellite internet.

Retired U.S. Air Force NCO
    Member, Sons of Confederate Veterans
    The Ancient Order of Turtles
    ARRL, SPAR, Six Meters Worldwide, Chattanooga ARC
    ARRL Accredited VE

Yeah, me too.

I would never think of approaching a doctor at a party and asking "say, would you mind taking a look at my hemorrhoids?" But, let on that you know something about computers, and you're fair game.

I still watch over my Dad's computer. He prints all his email, and the whole concept of a disk drive is a mystery to him. I've tried to teach, but it's easier to just do.

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt

, and the whole concept of a disk drive is a mystery to him. I've tried to teach, but it's easier to just do.
    Tell him it's a file cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC
    Tell him it's a file cabinet.
    it's a file cabinet that he can't see. he can see the printed email messages. using a file system as a storage cabinet takes a leap of faith that some folks just can't take.
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

I almost got fired for organizing files into sub directories on a bosses' computer when I upgraded him to DOS 2.2. The only way I could get him to calm down was batch files that listed the data files on screen and then started the programs.

I made a color ANSI menu out of it a bit later, and we put it on all of our PC's. Once the boss calmed down.

He was a EE, but really bad at computers. At least he believed me when I said I could run Ethernet coax a LOT farther by using lower loss cable than the cheap crap the vendors were selling us.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman