Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do deal with a neighbor who is a ham

Orca Whisperer

How do deal with a neighbor who is a ham

Well, not really a neighbor, but my landlord/downstairs neighbor.

He's a ham too. No, we're not fighting over antenna placement, and so far, no issues, but I figure I have to ask:

If both are on HF, with antennas on the roof, how do you get around things like intermod and the like? Will the antennas being so close cause intermod to both of us? Or, am I just worrying to much?
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Re: How do deal with a neighbor who is a ham

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV

He's a ham too. No, we're not fighting over antenna placement, and so far, no issues, but I figure I have to ask:

If both are on HF, with antennas on the roof, how do you get around things like intermod and the like? Will the antennas being so close cause intermod to both of us? Or, am I just worrying to much?
    Insufficient data.

A lot will depend on what bands/modes you happen to both be operating on at the same time, how close or far apart the antennas are, what radios are in use... in other words, you may have no problems or you may have a big problem.

For example, one year during the Pa QSO party, K3VX & I operated his IC-706 from one cabin under the club call, and W3WH operated his Argonaut V from the adjacent cabin (we were operating from a state park). Our antennas were basically co-mingled.

More often than not, Bill hardly knew when we were QRV. Larry & I always knew when Bill was. The '706 couldn't handle a nearby 5 W signal, the Argo V could ignore a 100 W signal.

If possible, why not set up a joint shack with your landlord? Might be the best of both worlds, if he is agreeable and it is physically possible.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Orca Whisperer

Ah, I see. So far, we've nod had any issues, but with the addition of my HF rig at 50W or so, it was trying to forestall issues.

For what it's worth, our antennas are on opposite ends of the house. I got my FT840, and he's using an Icom 746. He's a tech, so only 10M HF for him (until I motivate him enough to go test out).

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN

Insufficient data.

A lot will depend on what bands/modes you happen to both be operating on at the same time, how close or far apart the antennas are, what radios are in use... in other words, you may have no problems or you may have a big problem.

For example, one year during the Pa QSO party, K3VX & I operated his IC-706 from one cabin under the club call, and W3WH operated his Argonaut V from the adjacent cabin (we were operating from a state park). Our antennas were basically co-mingled.

More often than not, Bill hardly knew when we were QRV. Larry & I always knew when Bill was. The '706 couldn't handle a nearby 5 W signal, the Argo V could ignore a 100 W signal.

If possible, why not set up a joint shack with your landlord? Might be the best of both worlds, if he is agreeable and it is physically possible.
    Antennas co-mingled?
    Now THAT ... is Hamsexy!

Undisclosed solar powered burrow in Southern Maryland

Ah, I see. So far, we've nod had any issues, but with the addition of my HF rig at 50W or so, it was trying to forestall issues.

For what it's worth, our antennas are on opposite ends of the house. I got my FT840, and he's using an Icom 746. He's a tech, so only 10M HF for him (until I motivate him enough to go test out).
    Only a tech?!??! Problem solved...Stay off 10m and use the rest of your license. Or just drop a maul on him and go for the lulz!
    Yeah...I'm a furry...Deal with it!

You both need to equip your shacks with gear that possesses relatively high IP3. Keep noise blankers "off" as much as possible - and if the rig is so equipped, turn its internal preamplifier off.

The 'RF pollution' situation is similar to that which is encountered with a multi-multi contest station. Switchable bandpass filters (like the setups shown below) will help alleviate close-in de-sense:

http://www.dunestar.com/model600.htm

http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/wx0bbpf6.htm
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Orca Whisperer

Appreciate the replies, to one and all :) I'll have to start looking it all over, including the dual-use shack :)

I never realized NB off would be the right thing to do. First thing I would reach for is the Noise Blanker

QRP is your friend grasshopper, And it's fun!

Quote Originally Posted by w2amr
    Wise words from the King of AM QRO and the Big Beat.

Quote Originally Posted by w2amr
    "Life is too short for QRP." :stirpot:
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.