Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comments on the ipod iTouch

Comments on the ipod iTouch

I have had the iTouch for a couple weeks now, got to use it, and have some comments that may be helpful to others, or maybe someone has a solution for me.

I do not like the handling of the music and videos through iTunes. Stinks. Limited. Editing services for albums, artists, etc, clumsy. I guess if it looked like a spreadsheet, should act like one. But the ipod works well with music and videos.

The user interface is superior to anything I have seen. Motion detect, landscape and portrait mode ops - great. the two-finger zoom controls and scrolling - top notch.

The lack of the ability to use the iTouch as a storage device for documents - BIG NEGATIVE. There is a work-around though.

Sound and picture quality - top notch.

My Favorite applications (all free versions):
    - Free WiFi
    - Accuweather app
    - Reversi (game)
    - Flycast
    - Dragon Dictation
    - iHandy Level
    - Many news and services apps (USA Today, Drudge Free, WSJ, etc..)

I called Apple/iTouch support the night I bought the unit, to ask what happened to the use iPod as storage. They removed it. I talked about how the iTouch was geared to the Dumb user, and left power users out in the cold. He agreed. Apple support is good and honest. I said that I am a power user and would like to use the iTouch as a true PDA device, and support said that Apple is going to release an office suit for the iTouch. Cool. They will have to sync/make storage available.

In searches and discussions in the office, there are ways to make iTouch storage available. Most will restrict the size of storage. A product i use doesn't and works well. It is called FileApp Pro (free version). I loaded up with pictures, PDF and word documents, and son-of-a-gun, they all opened, as well as web pages. The catch is they have to be FTP'd into the device. Not a show stopper, but now I can carry component and system spec sheets with me.

I have this other program, that also has clients to store text documents. Called Documents 2, but cannot access per directions.

Re: Comments on the ipod iTouch

Some other fun apps:

Shazam -- hold your microphone up to the speaker of something that's playing music. Shazam will identify the artist and track.

Amazon Kindle -- Do Kindle on your Touch.

FlightTrack -- realtime flight tracking.

Google Earth -- it even slants based on the accelerometer.

WiFiTrak -- WiFi sniffer.

TouchCalc -- Much better calculator has scientific and programmer modes.

Quote Originally Posted by N1LAF
    The lack of the ability to use the iTouch as a storage device for documents - BIG NEGATIVE.

I said that I am a power user and would like to use the iTouch as a true PDA device...
    But that's not what it is. I gotta ask... did you know this before you bought it? Basically its an iPhone without the phone and I am OK with that.

For me, I agree with KFØRT in using the Kindle app. I am reading more books now than I ever did. The only issue I have now is that there is no Adobe Digital Editions app for the Touch... yet! This is a real PITA since my library delivers their epubs in this format. Oh well!
    Scott - NØIU
    http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/iub.jpg
    President - National Sarcasm Society
    "Like we need your support!"

[quote="N1LAF"I called Apple/iTouch support the night I bought the unit, to ask what happened to the use iPod as storage. They removed it. [/quote]

if you want to use your ipod for storage then you want the ipod classic
    "... and another thing about you democrats ... you all believe in science!" -- denny crane

BTW Paul, it's not an iTouch. The real name is iPod touch, or just touch for short (Apple doesn't even capitalize "touch").

Just some touchy trivia.

Quote Originally Posted by n0iu
    The lack of the ability to use the iTouch as a storage device for documents - BIG NEGATIVE.

I said that I am a power user and would like to use the iTouch as a true PDA device...
    But that's not what it is. I gotta ask... did you know this before you bought it? Basically its an iPhone without the phone and I am OK with that.

For me, I agree with KFØRT in using the Kindle app. I am reading more books now than I ever did. The only issue I have now is that there is no Adobe Digital Editions app for the Touch... yet! This is a real PITA since my library delivers their epubs in this format. Oh well!
    I won a nano years ago in a raffle, and it had storage. It didn't advertise that it did, but it was there and it was handy. The iTouch didn't have this option. A colleague at work is able to store like a stick on his iTouch, but he may be working from an older version of iTunes.

But I have a working work-around, and it suits my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt
    BTW Paul, it's not an iTouch. The real name is iPod touch, or just touch for short (Apple doesn't even capitalize "touch").

Just some touchy trivia.
    Well... la-de-dah

Thanks Rob!

Quote Originally Posted by n6hcm
    I called Apple/iTouch support the night I bought the unit, to ask what happened to the use iPod as storage. They removed it.
    if you want to use your ipod for storage then you want the ipod classic
    If I needed storage, I'd use my multi-gigabyte Titanium stick that is on my key ring.

I wanted a good all-in-one device, and FileApp Pro gave me what i needed. I can read html, text, Word doc and docx files, as well as PDF. Pictures too. It gives me the drag & drop that I am accustomed to, rather this sync crap.

Besides, with the ease of use and construction of an ipod Touch (Thank you Rob), why would I want an ipod classic???

Better days are coming for the ipod Touch, as indicated by the call with Apple. There is an office pack on its way. It has the power and interface, it needs exploitation!

Banned

Just some touchy trivia.
    Well... la-de-dah

Thanks Rob!
    It's okay for you to say, "iTeabagger" or "iNeocon" though. iBackaway now.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Rated

Just some touchy trivia.
    Well... la-de-dah

Thanks Rob!
    It's okay for you to say, "iTeabagger" or "iNeocon" though. iBackaway now.
    THANKS Jerry!!!