Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paid job as a ham radio operator!?

SK Member (12/2/2011)

Paid job as a ham radio operator!?

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/a ... -365A1.pdf

This one is very interesting indeed. The old "pecuniary interest" rule of ham radio could be headed down the toilet. :chin:

Being paid a salary to operate ham radio gear for your employer. :chin:

Looks like one of those "slippery slope" situations to me.

Re: Paid job as a ham radio operator!?

Whackers at it again, I presume? :think
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

This request is SO MUCH bullshit.
    How hard is it to get a real ham to come in and do this for them? Especially twice a year. Come on.

Their main objective is to get their people operating on our frequencies legally.
    This really has little or nothing to do with ham radio, other than a cheap transceiver and free spectrum.

Personally, if the FCC doesn't come out swinging in their response to this intrusion...it will be time to start worrying. Fo real.

It's time for a separate service dedicated to this aberration we've allowed to mutate unchecked.

</tempered rant>

"Bacon, Beans and Limousines"
    "Actually, it's a Democratic Republic; Democratic comes first".
    Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

I dunno, looks like it's a way to change the rules so it works in that situation. So what? A big part of the deal is the splintering of emergency radio and hobby radio. Look at the Red Cross debacle over security checks and credit scores. It's all part of the FEMA thing.

What's really amusing is I have passed the first two FEMA exams for emergency responders. Because of my job. We're supposed to do a really weird and wild simulation sometime this year... they did one at DIA not too long ago.

We use cell phones. :rofl:

Personally, I have handled traffic in years gone by, and was a tornado spotter in the old Civil Defense group. I enjoyed those roles, but I did not enjoy the typical micromanagement behavior exhibited in most organizations... seems too many need to play soldier, and rank is more important than the work.

If I ever found a group that operated differently, I would be quite active in the drills and such. My last "public service" effort was reporting the weather for NOAA, as I was living near the top of a mountain pass, at 10.3K elevation. Proud and happy to do that, but NOAA doesn't need another report from Denver. I really miss doing that net, and still listen.

Always found CW nets to be more effective, with better message flow. :whistle
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Is there a 'comments' link which we can include in the thread?
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX
    I dunno, looks like it's a way to change the rules so it works in that situation. So what?
    I only have two topics in AR that stimulate abrupt, visceral reactions, causing me to spew forth at the mouth uncontrollably.
    A) The growing role of govt. sponsored EMCOM.
    B) The lack of close scrutiny re: WINLINK

I will spare you the gory details. :rofl:

Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is obviously me, But my attitude depends largely upon you.

Quote Originally Posted by ki4itv
    I only have two topics in AR that stimulate abrupt, visceral reactions, causing me to spew forth at the mouth uncontrollably.

All one needs to do is to fork the money out for an SCS-III modem then monitor WinLink traffic for evidence of prohibited content. :think

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX

All one needs to do is to fork the money out for an SCS-III modem then monitor WinLink traffic for evidence of prohibited content. :think
    Oh, I thought there was freeware for Winlink. Well, there should be.

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX

I could monitor on some of my friends boats, until it's passed onto the internet, of course.
    I don't know any full-time RV'ers.
    ;)

edit:

I've often used Multipsk to decode the P1 callsign blast at the beginning (and end) of certain WINLINK traffic.
    The illustrious Waterman's booming Pac-bot used to squat all over a frequent PSK DX watering hole on 30m. Many of those transmissions would go on and on... with some scaring the shit out of an hour.
    By the time it's over, the DX is gone and the propagation has shifted to somewhere nobodies playing radio.

As soon as I get my digital-modes operating positions reorganized I'm half-tempted to go buy one of the things, hook it up and see what I catch.