Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite "offbeat" rig?

Favorite "offbeat" rig?

Which non-mainstream rigs hold your interest?

'Mainstream' could be defined as anything which uses the following criteria:

160-10M 100w-output all-mode; general-coverage receiver optional but usually included. Almost always offered by the Big Three.

There are quite a few pieces of gear which deviate from that ideal; most of which incorporate some unique features/selling points.

One of mine - the TS-660:

6-10-12-15M; AM/FM/USB/CW. 10w out; synthesized...dual VFOs. IF Shift; 5 scannable memories...provisions for an AM and CW filter. Very hot receiver.

When I first got into the eBay game, I got one of these rigs (which was advertised as "non working") for the princely sum of $180. $150 worth of filters and a couple of cold solder joints later, it's back on the air 100%. I've seen them in similar condition go for north of $500. I keep thinking about selling the thing but for some reason it remains in the shack.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Forum Addict

Re: Favorite "offbeat" rig?

If you had one these back in the day, You were king sh#t

SK Member (12/2/2011)

Way out of the mainstream and about as offbeat as it comes, Cubic CDR-3280 rcvr. Analog RF front end with roofing filter and last IF at a low 12kc for the last SDR section of the radio.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I used a Yaesu FT-7 as my mobile HF rig for years with a hamstick for whatever band I wanted to work. The radio has no menu, no VHF, no UHF, no FM, no squelch, no memory keyer, no memories, no split vfo, no general coverage receive, no dsp, no detachable front panel, no digital display, no WARC bands and was about 20 watts out.

Scott - NØIU
    http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/iub.jpg
    President - National Sarcasm Society
    "Like we need your support!"

I have a few "sets" of these:

Cubic Astro-D.

RX-TX: 1.5-30MHz continuous, no gaps. USA models had a programming resistor in place which would prohibit TX from 26.5-28.0 MHz; all of mine are 'international' models and will transmit across the entire HF spectrum.

Modes: USB/LSB, CW (with no extra filtering), AME.

Built-in TCXO.

As unique as the Astro is, a TS-440SAT will hand the thing its a$$ in every measurable aspect except IP3...the Cubic just barely comes out ahead.

I modified two of mine with SGC ADSP units; the rigs' DPST NB switches have been swapped for a DPDT, center-off momentary switch (of the same type as OEM) and this allows one to select anti-noise, auto-notch or CW filtering. There's a common-mode hum problem that needs to be sorted in order for the DSP units to be usable.

A third Astro had its synthesizer go belly up. Fortunately, I have everything on hand that's needed to fix the problem...I think.

Bandswitching is accomplished by a set of reed relays and bandpass filters; band information is present on a 15-pin Molex connector that's mounted on the rear panel. (There is no front panel band selection - one just tunes the synthesizer. Tuning rates are selectable and tuning can also be accomplished via an 'up-down' hand mic.)

Cubic made accessories - amps, tuners, etc - which could be plugged into that accessory connector and remote-controlled. I have one of their prototype random wire tuners and one of these days I'll get around to building an interface cable for the setup.

The power supply and tuner included with this outfit are neat for FD use, and there are a pair of Cubic 12V, 20AH 'suitcase' battery packs kicking around the shack as well.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Hammarlund HX-500, A rare bird. Had one and sold it. Big mistake. :(
    http://photos.edebris.com/catalog/it...5b3380c97c7d64

Ameco AC-1

Ten-Tec PM-2B
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

SK Member (12/2/2011)

The last radio produced by National Radio Co. Production of all other products ceased but the plant operated for some time after the official close to finish the contract on these, AN/GRR-17 with the rcvr pictured carrying the basic component designation of R-1490/GRR.

I was lucky enough to have located and purchased 3 of these rcvrs, since most of the parts are now pure unobtanium. The most remarkable thing about these rcvrs is the near zero presence of internally generated noise, terminating the ant input and turning the volume wide open rewards you with near silence.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by N4VGB
    The last radio produced by National Radio Co. Production of all other products ceased but the plant operated for some time after the official close to finish the contract on these, AN/GRR-17 with the rcvr pictured carrying the basic component designation of R-1490/GRR.

I was lucky enough to have located and purchased 3 of these rcvrs, since most of the parts are now pure unobtanium. The most remarkable thing about these rcvrs is the near zero presence of internally generated noise, terminating the ant input and turning the volume wide open rewards you with near silence.
    Is that yours? VERY nice.

SK Member (12/2/2011)

Quote Originally Posted by w2amr

Is that yours? VERY nice.
    Truthfully George, I dunno? I've got a huge PC folder on that rcvr and I don't know if that pic is one of mine, from the net or one another owner sent to me?