Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virusscan, revisited

Virusscan, revisited

Just noticed this email from Comcast:

Your subscription to McAfee will end on May 12, 2010.

As a valued customer, you can now get the award-winning Norton Security Suite to help keep you protected while online. If you're currently using the McAfee Security Suite provided by Comcast, you'll need to switch to Norton before May 12, 2010 to continue to receive comprehensive protection at no additional charge.

Great news for Comcast customers!
    The Norton Security Suite is here. That means you'll enjoy an even better combination of speed, performance, industry-leading protection, and ease of use with security powered by Norton 360TM technology.

Switch Now (http://security.comcast.net/norton/resi ... NET_xx_xxx)

And the best part? Norton Security Suite is a $160 value, included with your Comcast subscription at no additional cost. For your safety, Comcast recommends you download it now (http://security.comcast.net/norton/resi ... NET_xx_xxx). It's easy!
    Been using the "free" McAfee stuff for eons just because it's included in the bill, but it's a real resource pig, and is almost unusable on the WiFi netbook.

Never heard anything real good about Norton, so maybe it's time to look around.

Thoughts?

Re: Virusscan, revisited

What you said, I'm starting to feel the same way about F-Secure.

McAfee appears to use about 150 Meg, resident. That's when it's just sitting there. Much more when it's actively updating. And there are times when the update really affects performance (this is on a 2.4 GHz quad core).

Linux is looking real attractive, but too much of the stuff I do is Windows only.

Chaps my butt to rent so much space to this stuff.

AVG 9 (free version) is a little resource heavy, but works very well.

Full install file (better than the online installation, but 76 MB):
    http://download.avgfree.com/filedir/...0_730a1834.exe

Avast! is also very good, but doesn't offer the fairly comprehensive protection AVG does. I run Avast, but I seldom use Windows anymore.
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

avast!
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

I'm thinking of trying Vipre:

http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/home-home-office/vipre/

Haven't heard much about it, but the claims are impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt
    I'm thinking of trying Vipre:

http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/home-home-office/vipre/

Haven't heard much about it, but the claims are impressive.
    Installed that on KR4UQ's (Tony's) machines. He has the paid version ... did you insist on buying AV software? :D

If you have a couple of gigs of ram, AVG will do the job, and you'll barely notice it running. And its FREE.

Avast! is also excellent, but lacks some of the malware protection, and doesn't have as extensive a browser integration as AVG.

Vipre is obviously a quality program ... Tony knows his software very well, and never buys junk.
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Orca Whisperer

If you absolutely must use winderz, and refuse to free yourself, I'd suggest AVG.

Otherwise, GNU/Linux is the best anti-virus I've ever seen.
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Another vote for AVG. It's on every machine I have.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV

Otherwise, GNU/Linux is the best anti-virus I've ever seen.
    ^this
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!