Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Foot Warmer?

Which Foot Warmer?

Well, now that I have pretty much figured out what I am going to do for an antenna, tuner, started learning code, am about to pass the general exam, etc., I have started thinking that maybe it would be nice to get an old tube rig. I have an IC 735 that I will be using as my main rig until I decide on which "must have, main radio for several years" I will choose in a couple of years once I getter a better feel for HF. In the meantime, getting a foot warmer seems like it would be a fun adventure. I have no idea how much those old rigs sell for, but I would think that I could buy one for less than $500, correct? What would you guys suggest? I've read that the FT 101 can be bought at a reasonable price. Gimme your suggestions.

Echolink Node #401099

SK Member (12/2/2011)

Re: Which Foot Warmer?

Are you confusing the FT101 transceiver with the FL2100 amp?

Quote Originally Posted by N4VGB
    No. Why would I confuse a Yaesu FT 101 with an amplifier? I'm not looking for an amplifier. I am looking for a ham radio. I just call them foot warmers because they have tubes in them. You know, the whole glow in the dark, keep your shack nice and toasty thing.

Echolink Node #401099

SK Member (12/2/2011)

Quote Originally Posted by KC9MUK
    No. Why would I confuse a Yaesu FT 101 with an amplifier? I'm not looking for an amplifier. I am looking for a ham radio. I just call them foot warmers because they have tubes in them. You know, the whole glow in the dark, keep your shack nice and toasty thing.
    OK, "foot warmer" is very old CB slang for an amp. I'm not really into the hybrids as being "glow in the dark" pieces or vintage/boat anchor enough to suit me. I've never owned an FT101, the only thing I've got in that vintage hybrid gear is a Kenwood TS820S.

Lots of good old all tube gear at 'fests for sale but finding something that's actually working 100% is questionable and if it is 100% the price is likely to be rather high these days.

FT101s of varying condition are common at 'fests around here for $100-$300. I'm sure they're around at the 'fests in your area also.

OK, "foot warmer" is very old CB slang for an amp. I'm not really into the hybrids as being "glow in the dark" pieces or vintage/boat anchor enough to suit me. I've never owned an FT101, the only thing I've got in that vintage hybrid gear is a Kenwood TS820S.

Lots of good old all tube gear at 'fests for sale but finding something that's actually working 100% is questionable and if it is 100% the price is likely to be rather high these days.

FT101s of varying condition are common at 'fests around here for $100-$300. I'm sure they're around at the 'fests in your area also.
    There's only one hamfest around here, and it isn't anything to write home about. I've had fun both times I've gone, but I can't honestly say I remember any tables with tube type equipment for sale. I saw a Gonset AM and CW HF rig on Ebay last night. I've always thought it would be neat to have one of their old Civil Defense radios. Remember those? They were yellow. I have seen some really nice ones on Ebay.

Echolink Node #401099

SK Member (12/2/2011)

There's only one hamfest around here, and it isn't anything to write home about. I've had fun both times I've gone, but I can't honestly say I remember any tables with tube type equipment for sale. I saw a Gonset AM and CW HF rig on Ebay last night. I've always thought it would be neat to have one of their old Civil Defense radios. Remember those? They were yellow. I have seen some really nice ones on Ebay.
    The only Gonset I have is the GSB-100. Nice xmitter and fairly easy to work on. eBay is a perilous place to purchase tube type radio gear, but honestly I've only had a few bad deals there. I've been skinned alive at hamfests just as often as on eBay.

The older model tube gear is AM/CW only, then there is some stuff like the Central Electronics 10 & 20 models, Hallicrafters HT-37, Gonset GSB-100, etc. that do AM/SSB/CW and even PM/FM with some. The Gonset CD radios were 2M & 6M only models as I recall.

Get one or the other of the following:

I've owned both, and currently have a couple FT-901s plus a TS-820S/R-820 'pair' on my operating desk. The TS-820S' receiver section doesn't have all the interference-fighting controls that the '830 does, but if you slave the companion receiver to it the point becomes moot.

If you're after just one vintage Kenwood, the '830 gets my vote.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

SK Member (12/2/2011)

Quote Originally Posted by N8YX

If you're after just one vintage Kenwood, the '830 gets my vote.
    Amazingly good rcvr, still ranks high on the Sherwood Engineering rcvr test data chart: http://www.sherweng.com/table.html . An amazing accomplishment for such an old model solid state rig.

The 830 isn't to be found for a reasonable price around here.

My favorite oldie but goodie on the Sherwood list (but no tubes)...

Ten Tec Omni D (Series B or C)

A nice one can be had for $250-300, I have two of them, and they still blow me away.

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by W9PSK
    I agree with Mack, You gotta talk Valiant, DX-100, Viking II, Etc. That glow in the dark thing just doesn't apply to an FT-101.