Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I am getting THE FEVER!!!

I think I am getting THE FEVER!!!

in a good way. I don't know how many of you have been following my posts on the ZED, but I finally decided to take the CW plunge. I got everything together today to hook up a straight key to my IC-735 and did a little on air practice on 10 meters. So far, I know E, I, S, H, T, 5, and KC9MUK. I only practiced on the air for a few minutes. The rest has been off the air. I think I am catching the fever!!!!

Echolink Node #401099

Orca Whisperer

Re: I think I am getting THE FEVER!!!

I don't know if you know about this resource:
    http://lcwo.net/

It's where I'm working on my CW...
    Big Giant Meteor 2020 - We need to make Earth Great Again

http://www.coreyreichle.com

Quote Originally Posted by KC9MUK
    in a good way. I don't know how many of you have been following my posts on the ZED, but I finally decided to take the CW plunge. I got everything together today to hook up a straight key to my IC-735 and did a little on air practice on 10 meters. So far, I know E, I, S, H, T, 5, and KC9MUK. I only practiced on the air for a few minutes. The rest has been off the air. I think I am catching the fever!!!!
    CW is a lot of fun! I despised having to learn it to get my license, but after I did finally learn it, I really started to enjoy CW.

Copying on the air QSO's is absolutely the best way to get a handle on it. I used to spin the dial in the old novice part of 40 and 80 looking for slow speed QSO's I could practice copying.

The absolute best group for CW enthusiasts is the SKCC bunch, and although I have one of the lowest member numbers (007), I haven't been active in quite a while. I'd probably draw one hell of a pileup with that number having been rarely heard! Everyone uses either a straight key, or a "bug", both of which play very well at slower speeds - perfect for anyone learning the code.

The site is the brainchild of Tom, KC9ECI, and it took off beyond anyone's wildest expectations! Their home page: http://www.skccgroup.com/

When you're ready, Jim, let me know, and we'll make a sked on 30, 40, or 80 meters!
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

dont forget 2 meter CW, that can be alot of fun.

one of these days b4 i died ill get back on the air. but who knows by then they may not even use SSB
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by KC2UGV
    I don't know if you know about this resource:
    http://lcwo.net/

It's where I'm working on my CW...
    Thanks. I will check it out.

Echolink Node #401099

Quote Originally Posted by ad4mg
    CW is a lot of fun! I despised having to learn it to get my license, but after I did finally learn it, I really started to enjoy CW.

Copying on the air QSO's is absolutely the best way to get a handle on it. I used to spin the dial in the old novice part of 40 and 80 looking for slow speed QSO's I could practice copying.

The absolute best group for CW enthusiasts is the SKCC bunch, and although I have one of the lowest member numbers (007), I haven't been active in quite a while. I'd probably draw one hell of a pileup with that number having been rarely heard! Everyone uses either a straight key, or a "bug", both of which play very well at slower speeds - perfect for anyone learning the code.

The site is the brainchild of Tom, KC9ECI, and it took off beyond anyone's wildest expectations! Their home page: http://www.skccgroup.com/

When you're ready, Jim, let me know, and we'll make a sked on 30, 40, or 80 meters!
    The SKCC people are great! I haven't arranged any training sessions with one of the elmers yet, but I am definitely planning on it as soon as I pass my General exam. I tried listening on the 40m freq they use earlier today but didn't hear anything. I plan on using that as a resource to practice copying and the files the ARRL makes available. I've been using the G4FON program, but it hasn't gone well. It may be a mental block or something, but I just can't focus on listening while that program is running. I think listening to actual QSOs in progress would better capture my attention.

Echolink Node #401099

Quote Originally Posted by W2IBC

one of these days b4 i died ill get back on the air. but who knows by then they may not even use SSB
    No time like the present! Fire your radio up and git ta hammerin away! :)

Echolink Node #401099

Quote Originally Posted by W2IBC

No time like the present! Fire your radio up and git ta hammerin away! :)
    see thats the problem.. no radio
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Get yourself a straight key, code-practice oscillator and a sound-card-based CW decoding program for your computer.

Hook the output of the oscillator into the sound card's input, fire up the key and practice sending.

Watch your progress on the monitor.

If you don't get the character spacing exactly right, the character elements are going to look like a bunch of random "ees" and "tees" scattered across the screen.

This is a good technique to use when developing timing with a hand pump, and you'll also find that it will help you copy better when on-air.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

So far, I know E, I, S, H, T, 5, and KC9MUK.
    You go man.
    cw is a hoot.
    My best send is dah dah dit dit dah dah.
    They'll hang with ya.
    Enjoy and have fun!
    rot
    "In the field of opportunity, it's plowing time again."
    N.Young