Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vertical mounting problem

Island Regular

Vertical mounting problem

Well this question is about as stupid as they come.

GOOD NEWS: I have a Butternut vertical fully assembled and ready to be planted.

BAD NEWS: The ground is frozen from the recent cold spell we have had in NJ. The next few days the daytime temp will be in the mid to upper 40's but I doubt it will thaw enough.

Anyone have any ideas short of using blasting materials to get an approx 2' hole in the ground ?

Re: Vertical mounting problem

Drill Baby Drill!

Even in the coldest weather, the ground rarely freezes below 10" - 12" deep here in the states. You may be able to search the internet and find how deep the frost line is in your area.

When I was in Blackstone, MA., I recall the required depth for water piping on the project I was working was 18". We found that the ground there, in February, was frozen only to a depth of 8".

Once you get below that frost line, digging should be a bit easier.

I have a ground mounted HF6V, and I guess you'll use the supplied mounting pipe like I did. It's pretty small in diameter, perhaps a rotary drill designed to drill masonry and concrete would do the trick. They make bits for the Hilti brand drills quite long, and quite large. Maybe check a local tool & equipment rental center?
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Iron pipe and a sledgehammer. Use safety glasses and keep bystanders clear.
    73 de Mike, N5RLR

"I drink for the honorable purpose of getting bagged." -- Jackie Gleason
    "It is my belief...that the truth is generally preferable to lies." -- Albus Dumbledore

I had to dig a hole last year at this time. The frost line was about 10" deep, and after that the digging got easier. If you get a spade shovel with a flat top, you can use your feet to help with the digging. Carefully put your foot on top of the flat part and push with the foot as well as the shoulders. Worked for me. You'll sweat, pant and puff, but it can be done. If necessary, use a garden hoe to start. Just take your time and don't overexert yourself.
    “The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Island Regular

I think I'm going to take a ride to Home Depot and see what I can find to drill down at least half way. I also need to pick up a few hundred feet of solid wire for the radial system.

Tnx everyone for your suggestions, will keep you updated on progress.

It's overkill but you could go rent an auger like used to dig fence posts.

I got hold of a concrete chisel at Lowe's...sucker can be hit with a sledge and will punch big holes in rock. One of them around 2' in length ought to get you through the frozen portion and into softer earth.
    "Everyone wants to be an AM Gangsta until it's time to start doing AM Gangsta shit."

Quote Originally Posted by KN8K
    It's overkill but you could go rent an auger like used to dig fence posts.
    best idea tbh
    I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!

Forum Addict

Go to the store and pick a 20 pound bag of charcoal, And a can of starter. Figure where your going to dig. Clean snow and ice from the area. Pour the coal about two layers thick. Soak it, Light it and let burn for about a half hour. Get a garbage can lid or a piece of steel and cover. If you do this in the morning, By the next morning you'll be digging like summer time... A very tried and true method of getting the frost out... And it only costs a few bucks for the coal, and a whole lot easyer on your back !!!