Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: US on 17 Meters

Re: US on 17 Meters

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN
    I think part of my current problems on the high bands is that the HF6V is just too far away from the house (about 100 feet), and I have too much signal loss.
    100 feet of RG-8U or RG-213 type cable has about 1db loss @ 30 Mhz. I doubt that is any part of your problem.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N
    Quote Originally Posted by W3WN
    I think part of my current problems on the high bands is that the HF6V is just too far away from the house (about 100 feet), and I have too much signal loss.
    100 feet of RG-8U or RG-213 type cable has about 1db loss @ 30 Mhz. I doubt that is any part of your problem.
    It's used cable that I purchased in a pinch after Lucy Furr, Eater of Coax, chomped my original (and newer and better quality) RG-213 into bits. It may be subjective, but the antennas never did seem to be quite the same. (I had the story of THAT on QRZ, but it seems to have scrolled off into oblivion)

This is one of many factors. Any one of which may be rather minute, but they do add up:
    -- The HV6V I'm using right now has never seemed to radiate as well as the one it replaced. I've been hesitant to swap the old one back in (now that I have a new piece of tubing to replace the one that was damaged) as it's much older and more brittle, but that will probably happen in the spring.
    -- The short section of RG-11 75 ohm coax that's used as a matching transformer on 20 meters was a rush job, and the spade connectors I put on the end of it 3 years ago were not stainless steel as they were alleged to be, and have rusted.
    -- The aforementioned RG-213 needs to be replaced with newer coax. K3AIR has mentioned to me that he has some 50 ohm hardline (at least he thinks it's 50 ohms) that I'm welcome to have a section of. When the time comes to re-landscape the back yard, and it needs it, I'd like to do a direct route from the antenna to the house through the yard, not along the top of the fence (neccesary to keep it away from the dog!), which will also save about 20 - 25 feet in length.
    --The chain link fence the antenna is on is starting to rust apart. So I need to get more radials down as a temporary measure until the fence itself is replaced (with a wooden one, at which time the antenna will be repositioned and a new permanent set of radials placed and buried)
    -- And let's not even get into the way-way-way!-behind-schedule shack reconstruction!

Lots of factors.

I don't know yet how much work will get done in the back yard this coming spring & summer:
    -- I still have to put in steps from the side yard (now terraced into a flower & vegetable garden) up into the back yard and up to the deck I built last year.
    -- I have a little more to do at the top of the garden for a very small retaining wall, replacing a short stretch of fence, keeping the honeysuckle (she likes) in place. Maybe get a spot to mount the HF2V there as well, we'll see.
    -- The front "porch" concrete slab above the second garage is leaking again, and the fence around that (which was never done right by the previous owners in the first place) is about to fall off, so THAT has to get some priority -- I'm thinking of just sealing the slab and then building a new deck to "float" above it -- although the landscaping in front of the house related to that will let me put a flagpole in, and yes, I have the aluminum tubing for a flagpole vertical ready and waiting (and I'll slip radials underneath the "floating" deck as well).

Lots to do.

So I don't want to do a lot of "temporary" fixes if I don't have to, especially if it's work that will be wasted when the "permanent" work finally gets started, whenever that is; I hate to do the same work twice or thrice. The downside of that is living with the irritation of an antenna that CAN and SHOULD perform better.
    “Nobody is going to feel sorry for us. 90% of the people don’t care, the other 10% are glad it happened.” — Clint Hurdle, 2019

BAN THE DH!

Fudd's First Law of Opposition: If you push something hard enough, it WILL fall down.
    Teslacle's Deviant to Fudd's Law: It goes in, it must go out.

Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn't die in vain. He died in Washington, DC

Cutch 300!!!!!

“Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Trump golfed.” — Bernie Sanders

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Banned

17 is dead here so far but probably due to a weekday (noon Tues my time) more than conditions.

Guess I can hang out on 18.140 tomorrow... :dance
    Encrypt everything. Even if you have nothing to hide. It increases the noise floor.

Banned

I had NC in here today on 17 at about 12:30 PM (my time, PST) @ 10 over 9. 5&9 land seem popular then also.
    Will be monitoring .14 tomorrow. Make some noise.....

Just worked (barefoot) AI4NW in SE FL on 18.140. A little rough, but it's working.

Sun Spots 18, A=1, K=1, Flux 80, very low (<300) solar wind...
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX
    Just worked (barefoot) AI4NW in SE FL on 18.140. A little rough, but it's working.

Sun Spots 18, A=1, K=1, Flux 80, very low (<300) solar wind...
    I'll be at the rig in a couple of hours after my wife returns from the grocery store. I'm currently assigned to caring for my shepherd, and banging on this stupid keyboard.
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

Banned

Sounded like cq contest here with ti8ii Costa Rica working loads of contacts for a while, if I'm not mistaken.
    Things have calmed down for now. 10:30 PST.

Quote Originally Posted by kc7jty
    Sounded like cq contest here with ti8ii Costa Rica working loads of contacts for a while, if I'm not mistaken.
    Things have calmed down for now. 10:30 PST.
    I'm heading out very shortly ... hope to hear some of you guys!
    QAnon / GOP Republicans mentally lack the necessary intelligence to even tell a decent lie (Ex: A cabal of Satanic, cannibalistic pedophiles run a global child sex trafficking ring and conspired against former President Dotard dRUMPf during his term in office... Jewish space lasers, etc.). What in the hell makes anyone believe these melon heads can actually govern?

KC7JTY de AD4MG - calling on 18.140 now.

I'm hearing one very weak signal, can't pull it out of the noise.

Will call for a little while longer, but I do have to leave in abt 30 minutes.