Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Active Audio Filtering

Active Audio Filtering

Hiya :)
    Looking for schematics for AF filtering made from commonly obtainable parts. DSP a plus :p

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words."
    --Philip K. Dick

Re: Active Audio Filtering

Quote Originally Posted by KG4CGC
    Looking for schematics for AF filtering made from commonly obtainable parts. DSP a plus :p
    Charles, I have to take care of business this morning, but when I get back, I'll help you out here. You can purchase a small prototype board, a few inexpensive op-amps, and various resistors (resistor kit) and non-polarized capacitors between 1uf and 10 uf. We will build some filters!

In the mean time, do an internet search on Sallen-Key low pass and high pass filters. We will start from there, and post the links here so we have a common source to discuss.

Banned

Chebyshev or Butterworth?

But, but, we don't need no stinkin' circuits...

http://www.io.com/~n5fc/res_spkr.htm

"Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

SK Member (12/2/2011)

Quote Originally Posted by WØTKX

But, but, we don't need no stinkin' circuits...
    Reminds me of the old Dixie Cup cw speaker. Years ago some ham accidently discovered that a particular size of the plastic Dixie Cup line of plastic cups had a resonant freq of exactly 750 or 800hz? Outside it's self resonant freq it would hardly respond at all. I built one and it worked like a charm.

It was about like the 100hz bandwidth audio filter in an R-390A, very careful tuning required or your received station went away instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Rated
    I don't know that it matters yet. I've looked at some stuff online, there are a lot of schematics out of the UK and Asia. Note that values there need some translation, for example: a 4K7 resistor in American terms translates to 4.7K.
    Yes, I want to use commonly available parts from RS. Common ICs and transistors. I built a CW filter some years ago from a Vectronics kit but it had 4 set values and sounded hollow. Not good on the ears. Tried some freeware DSP software but I can't get past the excessive oversampling that results in echo echo echo. Using that last night, DSPFIL V1.0 2000 and BR-universal-Filt resulted about the same but the BR program seemed a little better other than having to figure out German to English translations. Yeah, stuff gets stuck in your brain from years of comedy in HS and somehow helps you figure out what foreign words mean LOL.

I may fiddle about with that old Vectronics kit some. I also have an assembled and unassembled amp consisting of a 1458 and a 386 op amps. I believe I can add variables "R's" and switched caps and fiddle about with those results.

Quote Originally Posted by N1LAF
    Charles, I have to take care of business this morning, but when I get back, I'll help you out here. You can purchase a small prototype board, a few inexpensive op-amps, and various resistors (resistor kit) and non-polarized capacitors between 1uf and 10 uf. We will build some filters!

In the mean time, do an internet search on Sallen-Key low pass and high pass filters. We will start from there, and post the links here so we have a common source to discuss.
    Very cool. Stuff that can be inserted in the first IF section would be of interest too :)

SK Member (12/2/2011)

I don't know that it matters yet.
    It's hard to beat a nice simple Butterworth for voice band audio.

Quote Originally Posted by N4VGB

I don't know that it matters yet.
    It's hard to beat a nice simple Butterworth for voice band audio.
    That's certainly something to take into consideration.