Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LCD Monitor Blown

LCD Monitor Blown

My LCD Monitor blew...just like that. Worked for years and then last night I turned it on and whammo... It just sat there blinking.

So, I had to borrow my father's monitor. Actually he gave it to me as he wants a new one anyway. I told him if he finds a decent monitor at a good price to pick up two of them and I'll pay him the difference and keep this one around as a spare. He's thinking of perhaps a 21" wide screen monitor.

Any recommendations ? Linux compatibility is a must.
    I keep my 2 feet on the ground, and my head in the twilight zone.

Re: LCD Monitor Blown

I've been running a pair of HANNS-G HW191D's (dual-monitor setup) on my Windoze box for about a year and a half with no problem. 19" widescreens that run at 1440x900. Bought them because they were pretty cheap at the time ($150 apiece).

No problems at all with either, but I wouldn't mind more resolution if it didn't mean a bigger monitor. If I had to do it over, I'd get monitors that did 1920x1080 ("hi-def") and supported HDMI. Not sure how valid that might be under Linux, but the HDMI implies HDCP (Hi-Def Copy Protection) support, so there are more options if you use it for watching movies. For instance, if you put a Blu-Ray drive in your computer and want to watch a Blu-Ray disk (movie), your monitor MUST support HDCP or it won't work.

Or so I'm told...

Contrast ratios and maximum resolution as well as response time ie; refresh rates in nano seconds need to be compared as well as size and brand and overall picture brightness. Then look at view angles as a field of view in DEGREES. Next you need to ask yourself if you will use a graphics card that has a digital output. The VGA input does not do a monitor justice. Most have both a VGA and digital inputs. Forget looking at one that needs an adapter cable. 80 bux for nothing when you can get one already good to go.
    Don't be fooled by discount store monitors as they always have poor specs.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ize
    I've had good luck with this Acer H233H.
    "People Who Don't Want Their Beliefs Laughed at Shouldn't Have Such Funny Beliefs" -AD5MB

"If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

Latest ClubLog entries.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N
    Heh, that's my monitor too... damn good for the $$$.
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the world to attach the electrodes
    of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance?" ~ Professor "Dick" Soloman

Quote Originally Posted by kf0rt
    I've been running a pair of HANNS-G HW191D's (dual-monitor setup) on my Windoze box for about a year and a half with no problem. 19" widescreens that run at 1440x900. Bought them because they were pretty cheap at the time ($150 apiece).

No problems at all with either, but I wouldn't mind more resolution if it didn't mean a bigger monitor. If I had to do it over, I'd get monitors that did 1920x1080 ("hi-def") and supported HDMI. Not sure how valid that might be under Linux, but the HDMI implies HDCP (Hi-Def Copy Protection) support, so there are more options if you use it for watching movies. For instance, if you put a Blu-Ray drive in your computer and want to watch a Blu-Ray disk (movie), your monitor MUST support HDCP or it won't work.

Or so I'm told...
    I thought it would still play on a regular monitor but only not in high def.
    In any event I have no plans to try it out anytime soon since none of the stuff I want to watch is in high def anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N
    Looks interesting. Thanks.

Silent Key Member 5-25-2015 W1GUH's Avatar

I recently picked up an HP 2159m http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+21....&skuId=9278569

I've been using it as a monitor for my PS3 & it's been great for games, blu-rays, linux, and cable TV. I've also used in on my computer; works fine there, too.

Bought it mostly for price and reviews. $219.00

"You pays your money and you takes your choice."
    If it's a war on drugs, then free the POW's.

How about this one.....

* 25.5in LCD Display / 1920 x 1200 Max Resolution / Digital Visual Interface (DVI)
    * 5ms Response Time / 10000:1, 1000:1 Contrast Ratio / 300nit(s) Brightness
    * 170/150 Viewing Angle (H/V) / 0.282mm Dot Pitch / TV tuner, Speakers Included, Dual speakers / 3 Years Warranty

Connectors: DVI, HDMI, VGA, Component video
    In stock, 4.6/5.0 user ratings, $299 today - free shipping

http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Pr ... ku=8672995