PDA

View Full Version : CW Question

W9PSK
12-13-2009, 03:46 PM
I hope this question doesn't start one of those code/no code slamfests. Anyway, I do not know code. I've tried some of the programs but I always lose interest. However, I do have an interest in working some CW. So, I have been thinking about getting one of those keyboard CW setups. It will translate what I type into CW and also decode what I receive. I realize this is cheating in a big way, but I don't see why it should be a big problem. As long as the program decodes like it should, I should be able to get by without actually knowing code. I think I would eventually learn code this way too. So, what do you guys think? Do any of you use a coding/decoding program? If so, has it worked well for you? The one I am looking at getting is $199 and offered by MFJ. Don't hurt me too bad, mmmmkay? LOL!

N8YX
12-13-2009, 04:48 PM
I would probably go with a sound card-based software solution. Then go find some slow, clean (properly spaced) CW on 40M and use your decoder to read it, all the while becoming familiar with the characters. Copy them on a piece of paper as you go and see how well your copy matches the decoder's.

Disclaimer: Unless you're dealing with a perfect "fist", there are going to be discrepancies.

W1AW's slow-speed practice bulletins are also another good way to practice and learn.

What kind of rig are you planning on using with the decoder? Filter(s) installed?

W9PSK
12-13-2009, 04:53 PM
I would probably go with a sound card-based software solution. Then go find some slow, clean (properly spaced) CW on 40M and use your decoder to read it, all the while becoming familiar with the characters. Copy them on a piece of paper as you go and see how well your copy matches the decoder's.

Disclaimer: Unless you're dealing with a perfect "fist", there are going to be discrepancies.

W1AW's slow-speed practice bulletins are also another good way to practice and learn.

What kind of rig are you planning on using with the decoder? Filter(s) installed?

I haven't decided yet on the rig. I have been bidding on some on Ebay. So far I have lost two auctions this weekend, both of which were for the Kenwood TS-430. Right now I am bidding on an Icom 735. Capital One raised my credit limit, so I am going to go ahead and get a radio, antenna, tuner, and something to help me with CW before they figure out their mistake and change their minds! :lol:

N8YX
12-13-2009, 05:00 PM
I haven't decided yet on the rig. I have been bidding on some on Ebay. So far I have lost two auctions this weekend, both of which were for the Kenwood TS-430. Right now I am bidding on an Icom 735. Capital One raised my credit limit, so I am going to go ahead and get a radio, antenna, tuner, and something to help me with CW before they figure out their mistake and change their minds! :lol:
Filter it up, especially if you're going to go with a hardware solution.

I have some older InfoTech, Drake and Yaesu hardware-based RTTY/CW readers in the shack. They've got some pretty good audio filtering built into them, but in the presence of a signal which is strong and slightly adjacent to the one you're trying to copy they'll often lose 'lock'.

SW-based solutions are a bit better in this regard. DSP can do wonders at tracking a weak, wavering signal.

If the radio you're looking at obtaining supports the installation of multiple CW filters, get hold of and install a 500hz-bandwidth unit first. It'll be a little easier to tune for "center" than a filter with narrower bandwidth.

W9PSK
12-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Filter it up, especially if you're going to go with a hardware solution.

I have some older InfoTech, Drake and Yaesu hardware-based RTTY/CW readers in the shack. They've got some pretty good audio filtering built into them, but in the presence of a signal which is strong and slightly adjacent to the one you're trying to copy they'll often lose 'lock'.

SW-based solutions are a bit better in this regard. DSP can do wonders at tracking a weak, wavering signal.

If the radio you're looking at obtaining supports the installation of multiple CW filters, get hold of and install a 500hz-bandwidth unit first. It'll be a little easier to tune for "center" than a filter with narrower bandwidth.

I've been wondering on these filters. Are they hard to get for these older rigs? I've noticed that most sellers will mention it if the radio has a CW or SSB filter installed.

N8YX
12-13-2009, 05:16 PM
I've been wondering on these filters. Are they hard to get for these older rigs? I've noticed that most sellers will mention it if the radio has a CW or SSB filter installed.
Not at all:

http://www.inrad.net/home.php?cat=8

Depending on what you buy, you can also find them used on line at the various Classified site.

If a seller "doesn't know" whether or not accessory filters have been installed, I would probably walk away from said auction.

W9PSK
12-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Not at all:

http://www.inrad.net/home.php?cat=8

Depending on what you buy, you can also find them used on line at the various Classified site.

If a seller "doesn't know" whether or not accessory filters have been installed, I would probably walk away from said auction.

Well. a lot of times people are selling equipment that belonged to their father, uncle, brother, etc., who is now a SK, so they don't really know much about the radio. It's tough to figure out who is telling the truth and who is lying on those auctions. I have made sure to bid on items only from people with 98% or higher ratings. The auctions I stay away from are the ones that are held by hams who claim to not have powered the radio up or claim to have no way of hooking it up. Most of know at least one other ham that does HF work who can take a closer look at a radio.

W9PSK
12-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Thanks for that INRAD link. I am going to go out on a limb and say that those filters don't look all that hard to install.

N8YX
12-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Well. a lot of times people are selling equipment that belonged to their father, uncle, brother, etc., who is now a SK, so they don't really know much about the radio. It's tough to figure out who is telling the truth and who is lying on those auctions. I have made sure to bid on items only from people with 98% or higher ratings. The auctions I stay away from are the ones that are held by hams who claim to not have powered the radio up or claim to have no way of hooking it up. Most of know at least one other ham that does HF work who can take a closer look at a radio.
Caveat Emptor. Spend absolutely no more on something that you are willing to invest in addition to the potential cost of putting said gear back into proper repair.

Take a buddy who's knowledgeable with you to a hamfest and inspect the various offerings.

That said: If you're good with a soldering iron, have access to test gear and replacement parts, you can get some absolutely wonderful online deals on 'DOA' equipment which often times requires a simple fix to get it running again.

Thanks for that INRAD link. I am going to go out on a limb and say that those filters don't look all that hard to install.

1) Remove top or bottom cover of rig;
2) Remove shielding over IF/filter board (some rigs);
3) Remove IF/filter board;
4) Re-position or remove filter jumpers (some rigs);
5) Affix filter to IF/filter board with supplied hardware;
6) Solder filter pins to board with low-heat (25w) iron and 63/37 or 60/40 rosin-core solder;
7) Reassemble to point of installing case;
8 ) Check filter for correct operation;
9) Install cover.

That procedure addresses 99% of the rigs currently in circulation.

n0iu
12-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Before you spend any money, check out the CWGet and CWType programs:

http://www.dxsoft.com/micwget.htm
http://www.dxsoft.com/en/products/cwtype/

The CWGet program works with your soundcard and all you need is a simple audio cable from your radio to your soundcard. To send, you will have to build/buy an interface to hook up between your computer and radio. I built the one that uses the LPT printer port, but unfortunately computers do not come with LPT or COM ports any more. I have an older PC running Windows98 in the shack for just this reason.

There may be USB interfaces, but I am not sure what would work with this program. There is a DXSoft group on Yahoo where you can probably find out the best way to hook it up to a "modern" computer.

Good Luck!

W3WN
12-13-2009, 08:53 PM
The TS-430S is a good rig, for it's day. So is the TS-140S. Avoid the TS-440S; they have a known problem with the heat sink compound that is used on the CPU, and when it fails, the rig goes into conniptions.

If you don't need the WARC bands, the older TS-520 & 820 hybrids, or 120 & 180 solid state Kenwood rigs, can often be picked up inexpensively. But if you like hybrids, and want to go that route, try to find a TS-530 or -830S; they not only have the WARC bands, which was the biggest reason behind the upgrades, but some other functional and technical improvements and upgrades.

Also keep your eyes open for some of the Ten-Tec rigs -- Triton IV, Argosy (be wary, the finals are made of Unobtanium, so if they blow...), Paragon, Omni's, and my favorite, the Corsair... some real nice bargains out there.

Regardless of the rig, try to get one with a 500 Hz narrow CW filter -- or find one from other sources. It will pay of on CW reception, especially on a crowded band.

GL!

N8YX
12-13-2009, 09:49 PM
The TS-430S is a good rig, for it's day. So is the TS-140S. Avoid the TS-440S; they have a known problem with the heat sink compound that is used on the CPU, and when it fails, the rig goes into conniptions.
You're talking about the potting compound which is used to microphonically stabilize VCO #5, correct? The stuff is hygroscopic and will lead to corrosion of the underlying parts.

It can be removed...any bad components replaced...and the rig made good as "new". Partstore still carries everything one needs in the way of components needed to fix the rig.

Bulletins detailing the procedure can be found on a lot of 'Net sites, including Kenwood's.

I've repaired several of the TS-440S/R-5000 series rigs' VCO circuitry over the past few years, and it isn't hard to do at all.

Clif at Aavid Electronics will also service a '440 if so desired.

W9PSK
12-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Guys, thanks for all the advice. So far I have downloaded HRD which includes a program for decoding digital modes and CW. Really, when I think about it, CW strikes me as a primitive type of digital communication. Anyway, I gave the program a try (can't remember the name of it right now-I am at the bedroom computer), and it did a really good job of decoding PSK. There's a contest going on this weekend so the waterfall was loaded! I didn't have much luck finding any CW though. I heard some very faint copy, but my DX-160 just couldn't pull it out. My guess is that that is why I need a radio with a good CW filter.

The good news is that my wife is totally behind me on this. She doesn't care if I get a new rig or an old one. We are right at the end of settling an insurance claim and she is fixin to get some moolah. She's gonna be my very own personal sugar momma! Yeeeeehaaaa! Whatever I put on the charge card she's promised to pay it off. It don't get no bettern dat!

W9PSK
12-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Dudes, I just went to Ebay to check on an auction I was bidding on. I have been working on my homework for the last four or five hours, so I forgot it was fixin to end. It turns out that I am the proud owner of a used ICOM IC-735 including the power supply, a key thingamahopper, and an antenna! Wowsers! I didn't think I would win that auction, but I did! Here's everything that was said in the ad:

This is a ICOM IC-735 HF All Band Transceiver with a Astron RS-20A Power Supply. Also included are power cords, an Antenna with around 50' of Coax cable, Instruction and Service Manual, ICOM HM-12 Mic with tuner controls on the mic, and external speaker. This was my father-in-laws tranceiver and I belive there is an electronic keyer unit inside, but I don't know for sure. The unit powers up fine and going through the manual, everything seems to be working great. I was able to pick up broadcast and able to transmit.

The ICOM IC-735 is a compact, easy to use HF radio covering 160 through 10 meters with 100 watts. Modes include SSB, CW, FM and AM. Enhancements include: dual digital VFOs, 12 memories, full QSK, RIT, speech compressor, and noise blanker. The 735 has a general coverage receiver covering 100 kHz to 30 MHz with 105dB dynamic range. The advanced, triple conversion receiver section includes pass band tuning, notch, preamp and attenuator.

A translucent cover protects the slide controls that adjust: NB Level, RF Gain, RF Power, VOX Gain, VOX Delay and speed for optional keyer. Mic included.

Features include:

* All Mode

* Analog S/RF Meter

* RIT

* VOX Function

* IF Notch

* 100 Hz LCD Display

* Dual Digital VFOs

* Optional Keyer

* 12 Memories

* Scanning

* General Coverage Receive

* PBT

* Noise Blanker

* Preamp

I got the whole thing for under $400 including the shipping. Did I do good?

n0iu
12-14-2009, 04:23 AM
Sounds like you did great! The only thing I would change is the power supply. A 20 amp power supply is just barely adequate for a 100 watt rig. Astron makes a 35 amp supply that will do a much better job for you. There will be more than enough power for the HF rig and plenty to spare for other accessory items you may want to add in the future without pushing it to the limit. While there certainly are other brands of power supplies out there, Astron pretty much sets the gold standard. I have been using my Astron RS-35A for nearly 20 years and the only issue with it is that the little light in the power switch burnt out a few years ago. I guess I should replace it... one day... maybe... when I get around to it.

Another word of caution is using the FM mode. The only band you can use FM on is 10 meters. Although the rig is capable of running FM at 100 watts, I wouldn't transmit any more than 50 watts. FM is full duty cycle and you will literally cook the final transistors in only a few minutes at full power. At 50 watts, you can pretty much run FM all day with no issues. Trust me on this one. This is the voice of experience talking!

BTW, the "IU" in my callsign is in recognition of my college where this guy used to coach:

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/classic/0913/a_knight_t.jpg

I wouldn't give bad advice to a fellow Hoosier! And since you are not that far away, make sure to visit The Ham Station in Evansville. I have purchased from these guys before at hamfests and have always gotten a good deal from them. You are lucky you have a place like them so close. I live in St. Louis and we don't even have a full line amateur radio dealer in town. http://www.hamstation.com/

If the users manual isn't included, you can get a PDF scan of one here for free: http://safemanuals.com/user-guide-instr ... /IC-735-_E (http://safemanuals.com/user-guide-instructions-owner-manual/ICOM/IC-735-_E)

Just click on this icon: http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/icom.jpg It will take you to a screen with a 4 question survey about the radio (just make something up!) and another screen where you enter a 4 digit security code. Yeah, its a lot of hoops to jump through, but it is free! If for some reason it doesn't work, I can email it to you.

Congratulations!

X-Rated
12-14-2009, 03:34 PM
The faster the CW, the better the computer copies. If you are going at 20+ WPM, that would be best. By the time you get to 45WPM, the programs are nearly flawless.

The slower speeds are more difficult for the programs to copy. 5WPM under usual band conditions will render the CW program almost worthless. Do a lot of practicing the copying before getting on to see what your computer can copy.

CW Get, like was mentioned earlier, is real good at being flexible to copy these transmissions. There are a multitude of adjustments as well as Automatic Gain settings.

w0aew
12-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Really, when I think about it, CW strikes me as a primitive type of digital communication.

True that, but it's the only one most of us can decode without a computer! When I was a novice, back when the dinosaurs stalked the earth, I hated being restricted to CW and couldn't wait to upgrade my license so I could use 'phone. But it wasn't too long before I fell back into CW. It's like music to me...very relaxing.

These days I operate CW and a bit of Olivia and WSPR (for testing antennas mainly). I'd operate SSB if I had a regular sked with a bunch of guys like the ones here on the Island.

By the way, I've never had much luck with cw decoders. However, I do enjoy using MixW for sending CW.

suddenseer
12-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Sounds like you got a great deal. I will second the dont go full needle on fm. When the band is up you only need 5-10 watts. I run mine at 5 watts. I had a qso on the reapeter in VI. and Puerto Rico the other day.

I learned cw the old way I quess. I was elmered in by a now silent key. He started me with the 'dit' letters e, i,s,h. The Dah latters t, m, o.Once I mastered those, he added the rest of the letters, and his homninims i,e h .... sounds like 'mississippi' f ..-. 'getahaircut. stuff like that. There were paper tape machines with varible speed. I was told that my fcc test would be with that type of machine. Tangent alert- Mr Cotton W8DX used a new fangled cassette deck. I was so flustered. You had to send back then as well on a straight key. I was already using a semi automatic Vibroplex bug. I thought I failed, he called my name and told me "congratulations, call yourself WN8YUD/DT until your license arrives". I was giddy.

That method worked for me. e,i,s,h,t,m,o. Master those then a,n,w,g, and the rest. Then numerals, and punctuation later. If you get the soundblaster software, and listen to on air qsos. The w1aw is good. I would take the earlier advise and look for a good fist. You can get a good taste fo how most cw qso's are structured. You will get to really use the q' signals, and abbreviations, om, yl, xyl, ttfn hi hi.

I have found most cw operators are much less clickish than phone. I have had the pleasure of being about 100 first time qso contacts. It is alot of fun. I must say I like the new method of cw operators because they want to, not have to.

Have too much fun!
Tim