PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome for Linux

n2ize
12-10-2009, 05:13 AM
Anyone tried Google Chrome on Linux ? I'm trying it now. Seems pretty light and fast. Thus far it looks good.

W4GPL
12-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Anyone tried Google Chrome on Linux ? I'm trying it now. Seems pretty light and fast. Thus far it looks good.Just installed it. It's interesting. I'm not sure if offers anything to me at the moment that would cause me to switch from Firefox.

n2ize
12-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Anyone tried Google Chrome on Linux ? I'm trying it now. Seems pretty light and fast. Thus far it looks good.Just installed it. It's interesting. I'm not sure if offers anything to me at the moment that would cause me to switch from Firefox.

This far it seems light, fast, and very stable. Much more so that Firefox or Opera. Thus far I like it.

WØTKX
12-10-2009, 06:53 PM
I use it in Winders some, same deal. Fast, less of a system hog.

W1GUH
12-11-2009, 09:39 AM
I've got it but never used it. Will it import FF bookmarks?

n2ize
12-11-2009, 11:58 AM
I've got it but never used it. Will it import FF bookmarks?

Yes, it will import all your FF bookmarks and all your FF settings.

n0iu
12-14-2009, 05:01 AM
I haven't used the Linux version (yet!), but I have used it on Windows... briefly! Maybe the other browsers do the same thing and I am just being naive about it, but Chrome sends information about your usage to Google. Some things are optional and some aren't. Here is a screen shot of the Wiki page:

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/chrome.jpg

Like others have said, there was nothing about Chrome that made me say, "WOW! I gotta have this!!!"

n2ize
12-14-2009, 12:33 PM
I haven't used the Linux version (yet!), but I have used it on Windows... briefly! Maybe the other browsers do the same thing and I am just being naive about it, but Chrome sends information about your usage to Google. Some things are optional and some aren't. Here is a screen shot of the Wiki page:

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv124/scottaschultz/chrome.jpg

Like others have said, there was nothing about Chrome that made me say, "WOW! I gotta have this!!!"

The only thing that led me to try it was that I was never happy with and of the browsers that are out there. Firefox is system hog and tends to be problematic. Opera is also a memory hog, does some things better than Firefox but falls short on other things. Chrome this far is easy on the system (it doesn't hog memory and resources), it is stable (I haven;t been able to crash it yet), it doesn't seem to have any memory leaks, it handles multimedia, flash and ajax enhanced sites with no problem.

I would say that performance wise Google has got it right and finally developed a browser that I can live with.

However, I am not pleased with the tracking. Not that I am too worried about it, as an option I can keep most of it it turned off. However, Google should be a bit more open about exactly what is included in any non-optional tracking text. If it is strictly non-identifying , non-personal information used to supply Google with info that is useful for improving its product then I have little problem with that. Any other purpose, i.e. advertizing, etc. I would have a problem with.

Here is some further information. I haven't determined how accurate this is but, here goes.

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/google-chrome-communication/

W1GUH
12-14-2009, 03:16 PM
I can't recall any problems with FF except possible just after an update, but those updates were fixed almost immediately and that only happened once. I don't really keep track of how much of the system it takes over, but it never seems to be excessive (whatever "seems to be" means). And I do like how quickly it downloads files -- it's a lot faster than ie. FWIW

n2ize
12-15-2009, 05:22 PM
I can't recall any problems with FF except possible just after an update, but those updates were fixed almost immediately and that only happened once. I don't really keep track of how much of the system it takes over, but it never seems to be excessive (whatever "seems to be" means). And I do like how quickly it downloads files -- it's a lot faster than ie. FWIW

My complaints about FF are more subtle nuances. All in all I like both FF and Opera. However, both still leave subtleties to be desired. Thus far Chrome seems to fill in the gaps. I am sure that over time there will be little subtleties with Chrome. Case and point, I was at my parents house this past Sunday and my Mom was trying to print a shopping list via Chrome. It worked but some of the control functions with regards to printing were unavailable, yet these same functions work fine under FF and Opera.