PDA

View Full Version : Sound and Linux

n2ize
12-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Do you think they'll ever get sound working 100% on Linux,

The closest I ever got to 100% sound functionality on Linux was when I installed fedora 11 a few months ago and performed a few upgrades. Pulse-audio was working great, everything worked, I could play sounds with one application, switch to another play more sounds, then go back to the original app and it played fine as well as several apps playing simultaneously. It was great... damned near 100% perfect sound performance.

A few upgrades later things began to change again,but not for the better.. Suddenly Pulse-audio stops working. No problem, I can still play sounds directly through Alsa. Now, over time things have deteriorated even more. Sound still plays but we're back to the old days where one app grabs the sound card and other apps that need the sound card sometimes lose access until they are shut down and restarted. In short, they seemed to get it right for a short time and now they've got it wrong again. What the developers giveth the developers taketh away. :D

So, whats the consensus ? Anybody think a day will come when sound will be 100% right on Linux. ? I thought that day came but apparently it was a short day. :lol:

W2NAP
12-09-2009, 09:26 PM
i think they will.

i wasnt a fan of pulse audio. if you got a soundcard (onboard) like mine. its a pain in the ass
as linux says there is a HDA-Analog and a HDA-digital, which all there is is a HDA-Analog.. so when linux decided to use "digital" i have no sound at all. and have to reboot 5 to 10 times to get it to go back to analog.

NEVER had this prob till they started using pulseaudio

KC2UGV
12-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Odd, I have no issues with sound on my linux boxen... There's even things I can do on Linux with most sound cards that winderz can't do (ie mix multiple inputs with onboard audio devices).

n2ize
12-10-2009, 05:12 AM
Odd, I have no issues with sound on my linux boxen... There's even things I can do on Linux with most sound cards that winderz can't do (ie mix multiple inputs with onboard audio devices).

Oh yes, I can do all that stuff too. It's just that overall things are not as 100% as I'd like them to be.