PDA

View Full Version : Digital modes

W9PSK
12-08-2009, 02:01 AM
Ok. Maybe I am trying to do something I simply cannot do with the equipment I have. I found this Fldigi program that is Linux compatible. I also have a Radio Shack DX-160. Even though I know I can't transmit on HF frequencies with this radio (I am also still a tech), I figured there is nothing stopping me from listening. So I figured I would connect the DX-160 to the computer sound card and give this Fldigi a try.

I chose PSK31 and tuned my DX-160 to what I am sure is 3.580.15 (as close as I can get to it anyway). I chose the PSK31 option in the Fldigi program, but it isn't decoding anything. I heard some of those strange sounds digital modes make, so I am certain the problem isn't with my receiver. The program just isn't decoding anything. I checked the Help file, did everything it said to do (except I can't choose a radio from their list because it doesn't list the DX-160), and still nothing. I even tried picking one of the radios from the program's list (another Radio Shack radio). Is it me? Is it the program? Is it the radio? Has PSK31 gone the way of the dodo bird? Any tips would be appreciated. Maybe I'm just a complete dingbat (no comments from the peanut gallery on that one). :mrgreen:

Also, what mode is it that is being used around 3.900 Mhz? I get a very strong digital sounding signal there. Thanks. Forgive my ignorance. This is my first attempt at figuring digital modes out.

KG4CGC
12-08-2009, 02:28 AM
OK, don't know about the program you're using but give Digipan a try as well as Ham Radi Deluxe with digi(something) 780.
Just skip the part where it asks about setting up your transceiver and go to the 780 program.

In either case, Digipan or HRD, all you will need is your soundcard. Use either the mic or line input. Turn you radio's volume down very low, just barely audible. Yes, it will pick up through the computer mic. If you go with a direct connection, you may need some attenuation. Be creative.
PSK needs very little signal but time of day is important too. I don't get many PSK operators this time of night, it is rare on the east coast anyway. Try 40 meters during the evening hours because that is where you will probably find the most activity and 20m during the day. I have heard only little psk on 80m but heard some none the less.

The short list.

PSK31 Frequencies

160 meters 1.838 MHz
80 meters 3.580 MHz

40 meters 7.035 MHz
30 meters 10.140 MHz
20 meters 14.070 MHz
17 meters 18.100 MHz
15 meters 21.080 MHz
10 meters 28.120 MHz
6 meters 50.290 MHz
2 meters 144.144 MHz
1.25 meters 222.07 MHz
70 centi-meters 432.2 MHz
33 centi-meters 909 MHz

http://www.wb8nut.com/digital.html

http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/

W2NAP
12-08-2009, 07:45 AM
14.070 MHz will prob be your best bet.

W9PSK
12-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Guys, thanks for the help. I have been able to hear some very faint signals, but the noise level is just too high. I have troubles around here listening to anything on my DX-160 that is ham-related unless the signal is very strong. I am going to have to figure something out to eliminate some of the noise. Again, thanks. :)

W9PSK
12-14-2009, 12:07 AM
I have somewhat solved my problem. On a whim, I decided to extend the wire antenna on the DX-160 to 25 feet from the 8 feet I had. Viola! The radio suddenly got ears! I monitored the PSK contest they had today. Wow! The waterfall was packed! I've tried some different decoding programs and Digipan seems to work the best, followed by Digital Master 780. The radio still doesn't do very well copying CW, but I guess that's OK. Thanks for all the help! :D

W2NAP
12-14-2009, 03:26 PM
take that wire to 50 ft and have it outside..

then your really hearing things

KG4CGC
12-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Digimaster 780 takes you further into the digital OTA world with all the different modes it covers.
In a pinch, you can operate Digipan through your rig's mic although it will require a little extra dexterity between the mouse, keyboard and mic.

W9PSK
12-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Digimaster 780 takes you further into the digital OTA world with all the different modes it covers.
In a pinch, you can operate Digipan through your rig's mic although it will require a little extra dexterity between the mouse, keyboard and mic.

What do you mean, key up the mic while the program is "transmitting" what I type through the speakers?

WØTKX
12-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Yes.

Just don't sneeze, fart, or laugh, as it will go over the air! :shock:

And your bandwidth will be "naughty". :naughty

KG4CGC
12-17-2009, 05:24 PM

What do you mean, key up the mic while the program is "transmitting" what I type through the speakers?
You should be able to type out your entire message first. I discovered that by accident.