PDA

View Full Version : byebye ubuntu hello Vector Linux

W2NAP
11-27-2009, 04:52 PM
wow i think i found my fav *nix os.

Vector Linux -> http://vectorlinux.com

Its based from slackware, and I got to admit is pretty solid no issues on my tower or laptop. downloaded 6.0 KDE classic (kde 3.5.10) and installed on the lappy 1st. was amazed at how well it worked, so last night i installed on my tower and still amazed.

I'll also add it gives alot more options to tweek IMO then ubuntu. i finally have my 1280 x 1024 screen res now, ubuntu would only ever give me 1024 x 840. its nice.

you do have to watch what your doing during the install (its text base graphic) and it dose give alot of lil options. but I admit im very happy with it.

n6hcm
11-28-2009, 06:16 AM

it won't last. before long you'll find another distribution you like better.

fortunately, for most folks, this isn't like a marriage or anything ...

W2NAP
11-28-2009, 08:02 AM

it won't last. before long you'll find another distribution you like better.

fortunately, for most folks, this isn't like a marriage or anything ...

well, i started with ubuntu 4.10 iirc, then moved to freespire 1 stayed there untill the end 2.0.8 when xandros bought linspire and shit on the freespire community. went back to kubuntu. they started pushing kde 4. so i played with debian,fedora,madriva all pushing kde4. which i just dont like 4 sorry. thought i was doomed with gnome and i found VL w/ kde 3.5.10 which is slack based.. only issue was gphpedit wasnt in the repos, so i installed from source (and ihave to admit it was the 1st time i have ever had a install from source go perfect without 20million errors) so i decided to package gphpedit for VL

I admit VL is really stable from what i can tell yet keeping up to date (yea ubuntu keeps up to date but IMO there losing some stability by staying cutting edge) I dont see anything ham radio related in the VL repos.. so i might stick around VL package some AR stuff for them.

KC2UGV
11-28-2009, 10:23 AM
I played with VectorLinux a bit. It's nice. Unfortunately, these days I need to focus on distros that are or will be in the enterprise. Not much room for fun these days.

I still have a place in my heart for DOSLinux and DragonLinux :)

N1LAF
11-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Link to Vectorlinux added to the Hamisland website Software Link

W2NAP
11-29-2009, 06:28 AM
Link to Vectorlinux added to the Hamisland website Software Link

good deal

ad4mg
11-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Maybe I'm the exception here ... I switched to Linux looking for a workable alternative to shelling out hundreds of dollars for bloated operating systems to one of the richest corporations on the planet. I had a good look at Slackware for almost a year, then gave Ubuntu a go. It worked very well for me, and now resides on 5 of our 7 computers, exclusively on 2 of them. Had I looked at Fedora before Ubuntu, I probably would have chosen that flavor, as it seems to work very well, and appears very stable.

So, the point is, Ubuntu works very well for me, and I've no desire to "shop around". If Conical and their team "hose" the OS, I'll switch to Fedora.

Vector Linux is based on Slackware, I believe. In my world, that would designate it as a flavor of Linux aimed primarily at experienced Linux users. I found the various interfaces in Slackware vague, and hardly intuitive, and certainly not for the beginner. I personally completely trashed Slackware 12 installations 3 times, mainly because I insisted on running as root. And having to run the installation in text mode was a nightmare, being asked hundreds of time about installing packages whose names have no meaning to a newbie.

But, whatever works! For me, and until they make radical changes I don't like, Ubuntu will be the preferred OS. I do know that I'll never pay for another version of Windoze again, knowing that there are alternatives available at the right price!

W2NAP
11-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Maybe I'm the exception here ... I switched to Linux looking for a workable alternative to shelling out hundreds of dollars for bloated operating systems to one of the richest corporations on the planet. I had a good look at Slackware for almost a year, then gave Ubuntu a go. It worked very well for me, and now resides on 5 of our 7 computers, exclusively on 2 of them. Had I looked at Fedora before Ubuntu, I probably would have chosen that flavor, as it seems to work very well, and appears very stable.

So, the point is, Ubuntu works very well for me, and I've no desire to "shop around". If Conical and their team "hose" the OS, I'll switch to Fedora.

Vector Linux is based on Slackware, I believe. In my world, that would designate it as a flavor of Linux aimed primarily at experienced Linux users. I found the various interfaces in Slackware vague, and hardly intuitive, and certainly not for the beginner. I personally completely trashed Slackware 12 installations 3 times, mainly because I insisted on running as root. And having to run the installation in text mode was a nightmare, being asked hundreds of time about installing packages whose names have no meaning to a newbie.

But, whatever works! For me, and until they make radical changes I don't like, Ubuntu will be the preferred OS. I do know that I'll never pay for another version of Windoze again, knowing that there are alternatives available at the right price!

well thats is the cool thing with linux - freedom of choice!

yes Vector is based from slack 12, but its not as bad as you would think.. im using the KDE classic (KDE 3.5.10) really havent had all that problems with it. i'll admit there is some work that needs to be done with it tho. the repos are lacking alot of good packages. and compiling from source aint for everyone lol.

Thing with ubuntu that just has really annoyed me so to say is they pushed KDE4 on us. and if you speak out about what you dont like about 4 you kinda get the attitude "oh your just slamming KDE4" which just turns me off. there is 1 guy doing the Kubuntu w/ KDE 3.5 but its 1 guy and when a update breaks it your kinda boned for awhile untill it gets fixed (which can be days)

as far as gnome desktops go, i got to hand it to Linux Mint IMO Mint just dose a better job w/ gnome then ubuntu dose (not sure if you checked that one out (Live CD is on there ;) )

W4GPL
11-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Freedom of choice, indeed. Nevermind the fact between Freespire and Vector Linux, you make some pretty bad ones. :P

I'm with Luke here. Linux is a tool for me, not something I tinker with like a newly discovered toy. The distributions I use need to be stable, consistent, and professionally done. By all means, tinker away -- I'll stick with something I know inside and out that allows me to conduct business/do class work without missing a beat. It also doesn't hurt to pick a distribution with more than 12 people using it so that the collaboration effort in improving the distribution is far more timely and efficient.

W2NAP
11-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Freedom of choice, indeed. Nevermind the fact between Freespire and Vector Linux, you make some pretty bad ones. :P

I'm with Luke here. Linux is a tool for me, not something I tinker with like a newly discovered toy. The distributions I use need to be stable, consistent, and professionally done. By all means, tinker away -- I'll stick with something I know inside and out that allows me to conduct business/do class work without missing a beat. It also doesn't hurt to pick a distribution with more than 12 people using it so that the collaboration effort in improving the distribution is far more timely and efficient.

actually if i had the time i would prob do a *nix from scratch. but i just dont have the time to litterally sit and complile everything from source. (one day i will do it tho)

I miss freespire, that by far was my fav. to bad Xandros shit on the linspire/freespire community

Ubuntu IMO started out good, but as time went on i just didnt care for it after they pushed KDE4 on everyone.

Debian i liked. but hated the fact on some things i had to go to the unstable repos to get some working items (pidgin when yahoo changes the login protocals)

Madriva - I did like but still no care for KDE4 but IMO by far the best with KDE4

Fedora - got it installed on the laptop once, still to this day cant even live cd it on the tower

Mint - i think by far do the best job with gnome desktop.

Vector. im liking that they have kde 3.5 it seems very stable, but the downside is repos are not that well filled.

n2ize
11-29-2009, 01:16 PM

actually if i had the time i would prob do a *nix from scratch. but i just dont have the time to litterally sit and complile everything from source. (one day i will do it tho)

There is/was a Linux distro that actually did that. It came bundled with just the basic components which you build. Then you construct the actual "system" based on your specific needs, pretty much compiling everything along the way.

W2NAP
11-29-2009, 01:39 PM

There is/was a Linux distro that actually did that. It came bundled with just the basic components which you build. Then you construct the actual "system" based on your specific needs, pretty much compiling everything along the way.

yes, its still around "linux from scratch" LFS. last time i did look at that tho it seemed alot of the packages was outdated.

n2ize
11-29-2009, 03:37 PM

yes, its still around "linux from scratch" LFS. last time i did look at that tho it seemed alot of the packages was outdated.

There was also a thing called "rock linux" which I think is still around also but it may be in the same predicament as far as being outdated. All too often a project starts out big but then peters out soon after.

W2NAP
11-29-2009, 04:22 PM
There was also a thing called "rock linux" which I think is still around also but it may be in the same predicament as far as being outdated. All too often a project starts out big but then peters out soon after.

i just looked at that... kinda conflicted as it looks like the base packages are old.. yet it has KDE 3.5.10 in the repos.... might have to investigate more on this

n6hcm
11-30-2009, 03:52 AM
there is 1 guy doing the Kubuntu w/ KDE 3.5 but its 1 guy and when a update breaks it your kinda boned for awhile untill it gets fixed (which can be days)

all this tells me is that you shouldn't take an update until it's proven ... a strategy that works well for any operating system, even windows.