PDA

View Full Version : Once again into the breech....

KJ3N
11-17-2009, 04:12 PM
I am cursed once again. :wall:

As I mentioned here (http://forums.hamisland.net/viewtopic.php?p=184351#p184351), I am once again called upon to unhose yet another Windoze machine. This time, it's her daughter's home machine. Neither IE or FireFox can access anything. Apparently, the problem happened while the husband was watching YouTube. The only thing that appears to be working is email.

After asking several questions, it appears that item #1 on my list is at least part of the problem. Why do these people never renew their NAV subscription when it expires? :roll: I'm also fairly sure than item #5 is going to be a contributing factor as well. :slap:

So, after work, I've got to haul my butt over to the daughter's place. I have no doubt this is going to take several hours, at best. :evil:

Another evening shot to hell..... :wall

ad4mg
11-17-2009, 04:16 PM

As I mentioned here (http://forums.hamisland.net/viewtopic.php?p=184351#p184351), I am once again called upon to unhose yet another Windoze machine. This time, it's her daughter's home machine. Neither IE or FireFox can access anything. Apparently, the problem happened while the husband was watching YouTube. The only thing that appears to be working is email.

After asking several questions, it appears that item #1 on my list is at least part of the problem. Why do these people never renew their NAV subscription when it expires? :roll: I'm also fairly sure than item #5 is going to be a contributing factor as well. :slap:

So, after work, I've got to haul my butt over to the daughter's place. I have no doubt this is going to take several hours, at best. :evil:

I just finished fixing one that had malware on it telling me that malwarebytes.exe (which I was installing) was sending my credit card information to malicious sites through the internet connection that wasn't plugged in ...

That was a 2-1/2 hour wrestling match. Ended up doing everything in safe mode.

And this one had Norton Defender, Trend Micro AV, and Windows Defender on it. Malwarebytes picked up 23 malware issues, and fixed them all. I'm installing AVG Free (new version out, AVG 9) and removing the other stuff.

AF6LJ
11-17-2009, 05:54 PM

I just finished fixing one that had malware on it telling me that malwarebytes.exe (which I was installing) was sending my credit card information to malicious sites through the internet connection that wasn't plugged in ...

That was a 2-1/2 hour wrestling match. Ended up doing everything in safe mode.

And this one had Norton Defender, Trend Micro AV, and Windows Defender on it. Malwarebytes picked up 23 malware issues, and fixed them all. I'm installing AVG Free (new version out, AVG 9) and removing the other stuff.

I have people who pay me well to this stuff for them.
I slit my own throat by teaching them good browsing habits and to call me when their AV subscription is up.
My client base is shrinking, which doesn't bother me, they are staying out of trouble. :)
The most important they learn is to back up their stuff.

n2ize
11-18-2009, 04:43 PM
These days unless someone pays me I will not fix broken windoze machines. Usually the problem is one of neglect, i.e. never bothered to install or update the anti-virus software, opened a bogus attachment, etc. I generally tell them to either keep their anti-virus protection current and/or to switch to a less targeted and thereby less vulnerable operating system.

KJ3N
11-18-2009, 10:50 PM
I generally tell them to either keep their anti-virus protection current and/or to switch to a less targeted and thereby less vulnerable operating system.
Most people aren't prepared to run OS/2. ;) :rofl:

n2ize
11-19-2009, 12:30 PM
I generally tell them to either keep their anti-virus protection current and/or to switch to a less targeted and thereby less vulnerable operating system.
Most people aren't prepared to run OS/2. ;) :rofl:

Unfortunately most people aren't prepared to run anything including windows. If they were they'd keep their anti-virus protection current and they wouldn't open email attachments from strange people they'd never heard of. :)