PDA

View Full Version : Fluke 87 III

KG4CGC
11-16-2009, 11:16 PM
Won't stop beeping. Changed battery, tested fuses.
What gives?

WØTKX
11-17-2009, 10:00 AM
I use those at work. It will beep if the lead is plugged into the Amps terminal side and the switch is set for V/Ohms measurements... i.e. plugged into the wrong jack. And the front jacks can do that if messed up.

Without any leads plugged in, does it do it? Set the switch to Amps, does it stop?

The circuit might be fried too, but I doubt it. The jacks are actually split, and testing the fuses is done by measuring on one half of the split jack. So if the Amps jack is shorted... as if something is plugged in and shorting the two halves, it will put up a fuss.

May Your Fluke be With You!

Input Terminals
Water, dirt, or other contamination in the A or mA mA input terminals may activate the
Input Alert beeper even though test leads are not inserted. Such contamination might be
dislodged by turning the Meter over and, with all test leads removed, gently tapping on
the case.

To clean the input terminals more effectively, do the following:
1. Turn the Meter off and remove all test leads from the terminals.
2. Use a clean swab in each of the four terminals to dislodge and clean out the
contamination.

http://assets.fluke.com/manuals/8xiii___sieng0200.pdf

KG4CGC
11-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Thank you, the basic cleaning didn't work so I will dig deeper now.

I use those at work. It will beep if the lead is plugged into the Amps terminal side and the switch is set for V/Ohms measurements... i.e. plugged into the wrong jack. And the front jacks can do that if messed up.

Without any leads plugged in, does it do it? Set the switch to Amps, does it stop?

The circuit might be fried too, but I doubt it. The jacks are actually split, and testing the fuses is done by measuring on one half of the split jack. So if the Amps jack is shorted... as if something is plugged in and shorting the two halves, it will put up a fuss.

May Your Fluke be With You!

Input Terminals
Water, dirt, or other contamination in the A or mA mA input terminals may activate the
Input Alert beeper even though test leads are not inserted. Such contamination might be
dislodged by turning the Meter over and, with all test leads removed, gently tapping on
the case.

To clean the input terminals more effectively, do the following:
1. Turn the Meter off and remove all test leads from the terminals.
2. Use a clean swab in each of the four terminals to dislodge and clean out the
contamination.

http://assets.fluke.com/manuals/8xiii___sieng0200.pdf