PDA

View Full Version : CQ WPX Rules Changes

W3WN
11-16-2009, 09:43 PM
The following was posted today on the CQ Contest email reflector:

The preliminary rules for the 2010 CQ WPX Contest are now available for review and comment. See the summary of changes on the CQ WPX blog: http://www.cqwpx.com/blog/?p=50

The major change is to the Multi-Single category. The new rules will establish a true single-transmitter category that is limited to 8 band changes per hour.

The rules are not final until they are published by CQ Magazine. We hope WPX participants will take advantage of the 10-day review and comment period to point out any errors or confusing wording. Rules that seem clear to us may not be to others. Please send any comments or questions to me at the address below.

Randy Thompson K5ZD, Director - CQ WPX Contest
email: k5zd@cqwpx.com
web: http://www.cqwpx.com

Direct link to rules review document:
http://www.cqwpx.com/2010_wpx_rules_preliminary%2015Nov2009.pdf
I think recognizing that a Multi/SINGLE category should be just that -- a SINGLE transmitter, no more "multiplier hunting" extra stations -- is long overdue. Already, as should be expected, there is major flack about the change, for a number of reasons. Including one from our "friend" N2IC who has already announced that he plans to use transmitter lockouts to avoid the intent (if not the strict letter) of the rules of the new category.

My personal opinion aside... this is a chance for those who are NOT on the contest reflector to make whatever comments they wish, pro or con. If the only solicited input is from those on the reflector, which involves a lot of active contesters (some of whom are, to put it charitably, ethically challenged), then the input is biased.

So if you have an opinion, pro or con, please review the change(s) and then contact Randy. This is a rare opportunity... don't miss it.

73, ron w3wn

ki4itv
11-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Well, that's a start anyway.

I guess you opened the door for me to say;
No more voice/cw pushbutton keyers.
You should actually call vocally or with your own damn fingers...If we're going to level the playing field, let's do it.
RTTY/DIGI contest get a pass...cause, "how the hell else you gonna do it?"
But really.
Good for them, get rid of the band scouts. I'm all for that little cookie.
May God bless the CQ guys...at least they're trying.
(Oh, or blessed by his noodely goodnes, the angel of starch)
(or any omnipotent being of your desire)
(damn, how complicated can it be to give a blessing these days?)
AAAAHHH! :shock:

W3WN
11-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Can't hurt to mention it to Randy, and I agree with you, but I don't think Pandora is shoving that evil back in her box anytime soon.

Even if you put such a rule on the books, I don't think it could be enforced.

X-Rated
11-23-2009, 05:51 PM
If someone only can operate 500mW in the contest, everyone should be limited to 500mW. If someone can only afford loading up some rusty bedsprings laying in the yard, Yagi's and extravagant dipoles should be excluded from the contest and only use rusty bedsprings all loaded up.