PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a new radio.

W9PSK
11-15-2009, 05:03 PM
I have been thinking about buying a cross band repeating radio. I am leaning towards getting the Kenwood TM-V71A. http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communication ... es/TM-V71A (http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/Mobiles/TM-V71A) I like the fact that it will do Echolink, and someone told me I can remotely control it with an HT. This would mean that I could sit in my living room and be able to cross band repeat into the repeaters I can not get into with just my HT. I could also eliminate the need for a separate node radio for those times I feel like using Echolink. Basically, this rig would replace three radios I am using now, one for 2 meters, one for 70 cm, and the node radio. I could then install the two 2 meter radios in my vehicles and use the 70cm HT for the cross banding. It would be one of those "less is more" situations. The radio sells for $369 and Capital One just raised my credit limit :D . The best part is the wife agrees with me that it would make sense to make this purchase, seeing as how I had been thinking about buying 2 meter radios for my vehicles. Do any of you have one of these TM-V71As?

KA5PIU
03-05-2010, 06:11 AM
Hello.

I do not own one but have used one quite a bit.
I own the FT-8900, the Yaesu quad band unit.
With that said, you will need to buy the serial cable for it, something like $60,.
Not a bad radio, it does work and work well.

N9FE
03-05-2010, 09:29 AM
The kenwood and yeazoo do fine at crossbanding. Just remember While in this mode there is always one unit Keyed-up. Hence tremendous HEAT. There no way of frying a radio quicker than crossbanding. Extra cooling YES. Do not put a unit under a seat YES. Do your home a bit and you'll be good to go.

N4VGB
03-05-2010, 04:22 PM
The radio sells for $369 and Capital One just raised my credit limit :D .

Please tell me you're joking??? :pray:

Anyway, about the radio, I dunno a thing about that model. The best 2m/70cm FM radio I ever owned was an old Alinco DR-570, did cross band repeat just fine. I see the old things at 'fests selling for chump change all the time and I'm sometimes seriously tempted to buy another one. Of course, no remote access and control on that old Alinco.

n0iu
03-06-2010, 07:10 AM
The radio sells for $369 and Capital One just raised my credit limitYeah, but at what interest rate? Better read your last statement because there have been a lot of people getting notified by Capitol One that their new interest rate is being raised to the new "default rate" of 29.4%!