PDA

View Full Version : Flash Player in Ubuntu 9.10....do it successfully yet?

W1GUH
11-14-2009, 01:05 PM
I haven't. I wound up with a nasty Synaptic Package Manager corruption that took a while to fix. Link below...

If you've been able to get flash to work in firefox 3.5.5, could you please tell me how? Thanx...

Package Manager fix....

The symptom was that whenever I tried to run the Package Manager, I got an error that said something about "flash player needs to be installed, but there's no archive."

The fix is at this link...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305829&page=3

Scroll down to #23, and read the corrections in the posts following.

Comment: I believe there's a misplaced Save/Close in the procedure. I assumed that it should be beyond that big block of quoted text & that made it work. It was good to have the Package Manager back!

Good luck.

n2ize
11-14-2009, 01:51 PM
I''ve never run into such a problem. I usually first try to install packages via the package manager, i.e. yum. If that fails (and it never has for Flash) I will usually download and install the package manually. If all the above fail I might resort to downloading the package as a tarball and compiling and installing it myself.

Usually one of those 3 approaches works.

Just for the record I am not on Ubuntu, I'm on Fedora.

ad4mg
11-14-2009, 02:13 PM
I haven't. I wound up with a nasty Synaptic Package Manager corruption that took a while to fix. Link below...

If you've been able to get flash to work in firefox 3.5.5, could you please tell me how? Thanx...
I'm running 9.10, Paul, and this is how I did it in the package manager:

[attachment=0:1oi6taao]flashplugin.png[/attachment:1oi6taao]
I chose only the installer (highlighted). That forced the download of the player from the Adobe site. Although the installation went without a hitch, the performance, speed-wise, is disappointing compared to the Flash Player in Firefox running in Windoze.

W1GUH
11-14-2009, 03:57 PM
I''ve never run into such a problem. I usually first try to install packages via the package manager, i.e. yum. If that fails (and it never has for Flash) I will usually download and install the package manually. If all the above fail I might resort to downloading the package as a tarball and compiling and installing it myself.

Usually one of those 3 approaches works.

Just for the record I am not on Ubuntu, I'm on Fedora.

"Just for the record I am not on Ubuntu, I'm on Fedora."

I believe this is unique to Ubuntu 9.10...but thanks for the info.

W1GUH
11-14-2009, 03:59 PM

I'm running 9.10, Paul, and this is how I did it in the package manager:

[attachment=0:1s19t8yx]flashplugin.png[/attachment:1s19t8yx]
I chose only the installer (highlighted). That forced the download of the player from the Adobe site. Although the installation went without a hitch, the performance, speed-wise, is disappointing compared to the Flash Player in Firefox running in Windoze.

Thanks...I'll try that a little later. I'd been looking for that in the Manager, but was waiting to find out if it, too would result in that fix I outlined. Really don't want to do THAT again1