PDA

View Full Version : It was worth it

W1GUH
11-14-2009, 09:18 AM
After a good night's sleep, today I'm having a ball with linux. It's a real pleasure not to have to swap an internal disk, and instead of the intense stuff of getting it right, today I can just play! Thanks for all the help.

One thing that stands out as a major finding, is that Super Grub. What it does for me is gives me a grub to boot from CD, therefore eliminating the need to have it on a hard disk. I suppose that an expert could get it right on the internal drive...but, being a novice at this...that's much safer. I think it does more than that, but I haven't explored all that yet.

Linux rules!!! Guess, tho', now I'm going to have to re-learn Java, but I guess that's not really a bad thing. Unless one of you know a better way to program gui's.

Thanks for indulging my rants yesterday!

n2ize
11-14-2009, 02:08 PM
There are lots and lots of ways to program GUI's on Linux without using Java. you can use the Gnome or KDE api's. You can also use C, C++, Lisp, Perl, Python, or just about any other language which can be bound to a GUI API.

I mostly use C++ with Qt. You can download a free full featured edition of Qt for Linux here.

http://qt.nokia.com/

Qt usually comes distributed with Fedora and probably with Ubuntu if you install the appropriate development packages. You can probably install it using yum, apt-get, or whatever package manager Ubuntu uses.

W1GUH
11-14-2009, 04:01 PM
There are lots and lots of ways to program GUI's on Linux without using Java. you can use the Gnome or KDE api's. You can also use C, C++, Lisp, Perl, Python, or just about any other language which can be bound to a GUI API.

I mostly use C++ with Qt. You can download a free full featured edition of Qt for Linux here.

http://qt.nokia.com/

Qt usually comes distributed with Fedora and probably with Ubuntu if you install the appropriate development packages. You can probably install it using yum, apt-get, or whatever package manager Ubuntu uses.

Thanks, that sounds really good, and I kinda suspected that there were good packages.