PDA

View Full Version : Trying Something Different-KUBUNTU

W9PSK
11-13-2009, 03:07 PM
I have decided to try something different. I have a Pentium 3 computer I am not using for anything, so I am going to download KUBUNTU and give it a shot. Does anyone here use KUBUNTU? What kinds of programs will and won't it run? Thanks.

KG4CGC
11-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Idon'tknowbut, I'd like to try some of that brand of OS if it would run everything I like.
PS and FF would be on the top of the list. I think the Gimp should work with it straight out of the box without the WRE software.

W9PSK
11-13-2009, 03:15 PM
I have absolutely no idea what PS, FF, or those other initials mean. LOL! I have a feeling I am in for an adventure with this KUBUNTU thingamajig.

KC2UGV
11-13-2009, 03:27 PM
I'll go on the assumption that you've never used Linux before.

What wont work:
1) Anything written for Windows
2) Some wireless cards
3) Some more "exotic" graphics cards
4) "Exotic" external hardware

Now, number one is more or less true, unless you start playing Wine (www.winehq.com (http://www.winehq.com)).

Number two, there are some wifi cards that will take some work to get working (Linksys ones come to mind).

Same with number 3 and 4.

But, the benefit you have going is that it's a PIII comp. Older hardware = Highly likely it will "Just work"

The "K" in Kubuntu means it's running KDE desktop, very similar to Windows.

W9PSK
11-13-2009, 03:38 PM

What wont work:
2) Some wireless cards

Now, number one is more or less true, unless you start playing Wine (http://www.winehq.com).

Number two, there are some wifi cards that will take some work to get working (Linksys ones come to mind).

But, the benefit you have going is that it's a PIII comp. Older hardware = Highly likely it will "Just work"

I take it this means Office '07 won't work. I have Open Office on a CD, so I guess that won't be a problem. What I am wondering about are websites, like the ones my college uses.

KC2UGV
11-13-2009, 03:48 PM

What wont work:
2) Some wireless cards

Now, number one is more or less true, unless you start playing Wine (http://www.winehq.com).

I take it this means Office '07 won't work. I have Open Office on a CD, so I guess that won't be a problem. What I am wondering about are websites, like the ones my college uses.

OpenOffice comes installed by default I believe. You might be able to get Office '07 working with some effort using Wine.

Websites: The internet was built for *nix :) They should all work fine, you might notice the occasional quirks with poorly designed sites.

And Adobe Flash, you're stuck with an older version. Netflix wont work. And Shockwave Flash is a no-go AFAIK (Shockwave Flash think gamesloth.com)

EDIT
Office 2007 has Platinum status:
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=4992

W9PSK
11-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Netflix won't work with KUBUNTU? BUMMER. I am a Netflix junkie. I have other computers that I can use to get my NETFLIX FIX. LOL!

W9PSK
11-13-2009, 04:00 PM
My plans are to completely sacrifice Windows on this P3 computer. I don't use it for anything, and have other computers with Windows on them. One question I have is whether or not this CD I am making will work similar to the Windows installation CD in that it will prompt me to reformat the C drive. I am not planning on making a partition. It is going to be a "Kubuntu only" computer. The idea is to give it a try on a computer I can afford to lose before making the switch on any of my important computers.

ad4mg
11-13-2009, 04:53 PM
My plans are to completely sacrifice Windows on this P3 computer. I don't use it for anything, and have other computers with Windows on them. One question I have is whether or not this CD I am making will work similar to the Windows installation CD in that it will prompt me to reformat the C drive. I am not planning on making a partition. It is going to be a "Kubuntu only" computer. The idea is to give it a try on a computer I can afford to lose before making the switch on any of my important computers.
Yes, the machine boots on the CD, and one of the options you will be presented with is to use the entire hard drive. It will partition and format the entire drive for you.

Open Office 3.1 comes with Ubuntu or Kubuntu 9.04 or later. Ubuntu uses the Gnome desktop, Kubuntu, the KDE desktop. I personally prefer the Gnome desktop.

There are a lot of new concepts to learn ... but there is great help available online. Get accustomed to using Google! The Ubuntu forums are also a great source of information.

And, you can count on someone here being able to help you through any problems!

W9PSK
11-13-2009, 07:07 PM
OK. I got it downloaded, made the disk, and am using KUBUNTU as I type. I booted it from the CD, rather than installing it. So far so good. I am going to play around with this thing now and see what I can do with it.

W9PSK
11-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Well, I got it loaded onto one of my laptops instead of the P3 computer. I tried three times on that machine and it would not load up. Don't have the foggiest notion why. Maybe it's a memory issue. Anyway, I have some questions. What should I do if I want to use my printer with this laptop? I have to install software for the thing to work. Will the software from the manufacturer work? It's an HP. Thanks. Sorry about all the questions.

ad4mg
11-14-2009, 05:37 AM
Well, I got it loaded onto one of my laptops instead of the P3 computer. I tried three times on that machine and it would not load up. Don't have the foggiest notion why. Maybe it's a memory issue. Anyway, I have some questions. What should I do if I want to use my printer with this laptop? I have to install software for the thing to work. Will the software from the manufacturer work? It's an HP. Thanks. Sorry about all the questions.
Kubuntu and all flavors of Linux have excellent support for HP printers. I believe Kubuntu & Ubuntu have the driver package installed "out of the box". All my printers (spare one) are HP's, two are "all-in-one" machines, and I never had to install any drivers, even for the scanners!

Problems like you mention are usually associated with the video chipset, and sometimes memory. They do make an "alternate Live CD" for installing Ubuntu on machines with low memory (< 256 MB), and for video issues, one of the bootup options on the Live CD is to use VGA video ... I think the F4 key during startup takes you to these options.

W9PSK
11-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Kubuntu and all flavors of Linux have excellent support for HP printers. I believe Kubuntu & Ubuntu have the driver package installed "out of the box". All my printers (spare one) are HP's, two are "all-in-one" machines, and I never had to install any drivers, even for the scanners!

Problems like you mention are usually associated with the video chipset, and sometimes memory. They do make an "alternate Live CD" for installing Ubuntu on machines with low memory (< 256 MB), and for video issues, one of the bootup options on the Live CD is to use VGA video ... I think the F4 key during startup takes you to these options.

Thanks for the reply. I did get the printer to work without having to do much. What I am wondering about is the software package that came with the printer. I suppose it wouldn't kill me to manually push whatever button it is on the printer for scanning, copying, etc., but it would be nice to have the same software package I have on my Windows machines.

So far, I am OK with making this switch. I will admit there are some things I didn't think about, like the file sharing I do on my network, the network itself, this printer software, etc. I suppose it all boils down to a learning process.

n2ize
11-14-2009, 02:00 PM
You can most likely use Netflix on Linux by simply installing either "Crossover" or "Wine". Once you install Crossover you simply download a Windows browser and the Windows plug ins for Netflix and viola' you should be good to go.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/

W9PSK
11-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Well, it appears there is a serious learning curve with this KUBUNTU. I tried downloading Yahoo IM for Linux and I finally gave up on getting the crazy thing to install. I read about the AltF2 and then copying the language that was there at the site, but it didn't work. I will say this much for Windows: It is much easier to download and install programs! I am not going to give up on Kubuntu, but I don't have any intentions of completely replacing Windows on all my computers with it. I went ahead and ordered a four pack set of CDs/DVDs from Amazon that include Kubuntu, Ubuntu, and tutorials for both. It was only $16. I figure that's a cheap price to pay to save me the headaches I know I am going to have trying to figure this Kubuntu out on my own.

W9PSK
11-14-2009, 04:47 PM
You can most likely use Netflix on Linux by simply installing either "Crossover" or "Wine". Once you install Crossover you simply download a Windows browser and the Windows plug ins for Netflix and viola' you should be good to go.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/

Thanks. I will keep this in mind for later. I don't want to add too much to what I already have before I learn the basics.

W9PSK
11-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Well, thus far I have seen absolutely no reason whatsoever to completely dump Windows in favor of Linux. Everything I have tried to do with this computer has been a huge fucking pain in the ass since I got Kubuntu, even something as simple as downloading and installing Yahoo Instant Messenger for Linux. I am not going to give up on Linux just yet, seeing as how I expected a bit of a learning curve, but I have already spent hours trying to do things only to give up in frustration. Why on earth people sing the praises of Linux is beyond me. It certainly isn't user friendly. I almost gave my laptop the "F150 weight stress test" today. :wall

KC2UGV
11-15-2009, 09:43 PM
You could, from a terminal window type:

sudo apt-get install pidgin

Pidgin is a multi-service IM client. Works with Yahoo!, MySpace, AOL Messenger, FaceBook, and a plethora of others.

ad4mg
11-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Because it's free. I now have a modern, up to date OS, and it didn't cost me a dime. Sorry you're having bad luck ... I personally think you would have been better off with Ubuntu and the Gnome desktop. And, whenever possible, you need to use the Synaptic Package Manager to install applications. In the Gnome desktop, the option to add/remove programs is available under the Applications menu.

I just wiped Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.10 from my Acer Aspire 5000 laptop, and installed the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 9.10. It went flawlessly, and it took less than 90 minutes, and that included a complete backup of the entire hard drive (before any changes) to an external USB drive. I'm using the machine now.

I didn't care for the KDE desktop, but I'm far less familiar with it. Any Linux flavor is going to have a learning curve, and none are "plug and play" like Windows, but Ubuntu 9.10 is very close. The only time I've had to use the terminal was for the hack needed to configure a SiS Technologies video controller, and to add the frame buffer module.

With the recent addition of 2 GB of RAM, and now the 64 bit version of Ubuntu, this machine has never run better! But, I have been fiddling with Linux now for about a year. I've learned a lot in that year.

Don't be afraid to come here and ask questions, Jim. There are several Linux guys around here!

W9PSK
11-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Because it's free. I now have a modern, up to date OS, and it didn't cost me a dime. Sorry you're having bad luck ... I personally think you would have been better off with Ubuntu and the Gnome desktop. And, whenever possible, you need to use the Synaptic Package Manager to install applications. In the Gnome desktop, the option to add/remove programs is available under the Applications menu.

I just wiped Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.10 from my Acer Aspire 5000 laptop, and installed the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 9.10. It went flawlessly, and it took less than 90 minutes, and that included a complete backup of the entire hard drive (before any changes) to an external USB drive. I'm using the machine now.

I didn't care for the KDE desktop, but I'm far less familiar with it. Any Linux flavor is going to have a learning curve, and none are "plug and play" like Windows, but Ubuntu 9.10 is very close. The only time I've had to use the terminal was for the hack needed to configure a SiS Technologies video controller, and to add the frame buffer module.

With the recent addition of 2 GB of RAM, and now the 64 bit version of Ubuntu, this machine has never run better! But, I have been fiddling with Linux now for about a year. I've learned a lot in that year.

Don't be afraid to come here and ask questions, Jim. There are several Linux guys around here!

OK. I just may take you up on that. LOL! Along with the copy of Kubuntu that I made myself, I also ordered a 4 disk set that includes Kubuntu, Ubuntu, and instructional videos. I am thinking that I will know a lot more after I check the instructional ones out. I have heard that Ubuntu is preferred for newbies, but I didn't find that out until after I got the Kubuntu loaded. Once I get my disks, I will check out Ubuntu.

At least I have a little knowledge of Kubuntu now. I figured out how to set up a local printer. :monkeydance: Found the crazy icon by chance. It was while I was doing something else, which I will explain in more detail, since you have offered to help. :mrgreen:

Ok. My other three computers are networked and share one printer. On a whim, I decided to find the equivalent "network" area on this Kubuntu laptop. So, I find it, and lo and behold, I found the three computers from my Windows network. I clicked on the C$ folder, and it asks me for a user name and password. So, I input my user name and password. NOTHING DOIN! It would not accept it. I put every user name and password I have for my computers into the crazy thing and NUTTIN WOULD WORK! What I was hoping to do was to get the printer to print from the Kubuntu laptop. What really got my goat is that it would let me click on the shared pictures folder of one of my other computers, I could see the pics, but it would not open them. After an hour and a half, I gave up. So, what did I do wrong?

n6hcm
11-16-2009, 04:33 AM
Ok. My other three computers are networked and share one printer. On a whim, I decided to find the equivalent "network" area on this Kubuntu laptop. So, I find it, and lo and behold, I found the three computers from my Windows network. I clicked on the C$ folder, and it asks me for a user name and password.

your "username" is the name of the win2k host followed by a backslash followed by your username on that host. so, if my server was called "knobs" then my username might be knobs\henry ...

KC2UGV
11-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Also, what version on Windows are you sharing with? I recall a registry setting on Windows machines that needs to be tweaked, or maybe it was a Samba setting on the *nix machine to get them to talk.

W9PSK
11-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Wow. What a difference a different version of Linux makes! I went ahead and downloaded Ubuntu, just to see the difference. After about 10 minutes of checking it out, I was hooked. I replaced Kubuntu with Ubuntu and I really like it! Within a few minutes I was listening to internet radio, going over programs to download, and even got the network printer to print!
:monkeydance: :monkeydance: :monkeydance:

KC2UGV
11-16-2009, 01:35 PM
If you still want to play with Kubuntu, just do an:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

And then you'll get both. Just log out, select a new desktop, go back in :)

ad4mg
11-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Wow. What a difference a different version of Linux makes! I went ahead and downloaded Ubuntu, just to see the difference. After about 10 minutes of checking it out, I was hooked. I replaced Kubuntu with Ubuntu and I really like it! Within a few minutes I was listening to internet radio, going over programs to download, and even got the network printer to print!
:monkeydance: :monkeydance: :monkeydance:
Cool! To install stuff like Java, Flash plug-in for the browser, etc, go to System - Administration - Synaptic Package Manager, and use the quick search to find and install needed applications!

For example, to install the flash plug-in, quick search "flash", and when available, pick the package that has the Ubuntu icon next to it ... in this case, "adobe flashplugin". Ditto for Java, search "java" (no need to hit the enter key ... search will work on partial words), but in this case, select "sun-java6-plugin" ... it works better in Firefox than the free app, and this is the package needed later for OpenOffice. Kill two birds with one stone.

I think your issue earlier with shared Windows folders is that samba wasn't yet installed. Go to "Places", and when nautilus opens (the file browser), select the "Public" folder, right-click it, and click "sharing" ... this will trigger the installation of samba file sharing. You will have to log out after the installation is done, then go back to your Public folder, right-click it again, and set the permissions like you wish. I have my Public folder wide open, even for guests, and I;m careful what I put there.

When you're comfortable, Jim, I'll guide you through making the share act exactly like a Windows share. Linux is going to play mind games with you on file permissions in that folder, a topic you will need to become very familiar with. If you copy a file to the Public folder from a Windows box, you're going to find that you probably can't do anything with it from the Linux console because you don't own it.

To view the file permissions, open a terminal window (Applications - Accessories - terminal), type "cd Public" at the prompt (without the quotes), hit enter, then type "ls -l" to display all the files in that folder, along with their permissions.

Things are set up differently in Ubuntu than they are in other flavors of Linux. The root account is turned off by default, and you will find that you cannot run many commands from the terminal because you do not have root access. This is where the "sudo" command will serve you well, it stands for "super user do".

More later ... I can help you out with almost anything in Ubuntu!

W9PSK
11-17-2009, 01:53 AM
I have a firewall question. My router has a built-in firewall. I always used the Windows firewall, so I thought I would download a firewall for Ubuntu too. Well, I chose Firestarter. The only problem I am having with it is that I have to manually turn it on every time I log in to the computer. I did try setting it up to do it automatically, by adding it to the "startup applications" folder, but now it asks me for the password every time I start up the computer. Do I really need this additional firewall, seeing as how my router has one built in? Any advice would be appreciated.

BTW, I dowloaded Wine and then Echolink. I still need to make the firewall changes, but the program is working fine otherwise.

KC2UGV
11-17-2009, 07:17 AM
Ubuntu runs by default with the fewest openings that are needed. And, generally, you won't need to worry about your machine sending out malicious traffic. If it was, you've been root-kitted and the firewall wouldn't do much good anyways.

I'm pretty gung-ho about security, and I'd say no. You don't really need the Firestarter package.

n2ize
11-17-2009, 09:28 AM
You could, from a terminal window type:

sudo apt-get install pidgin

Pidgin is a multi-service IM client. Works with Yahoo!, MySpace, AOL Messenger, FaceBook, and a plethora of others.

I was just going to recommend the same thing,

n2ize
11-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Ubuntu runs by default with the fewest openings that are needed. And, generally, you won't need to worry about your machine sending out malicious traffic. If it was, you've been root-kitted and the firewall wouldn't do much good anyways.

I'm pretty gung-ho about security, and I'd say no. You don't really need the Firestarter package.

Kernel level packet filtering...iptables. Fedora has an easy to use GUI to activate/deactivate filtering. I'd imagine Kubuntu has something similar. In the old days we had to do it by hand...from the CLI.

n2ize
11-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Well, thus far I have seen absolutely no reason whatsoever to completely dump Windows in favor of Linux. Everything I have tried to do with this computer has been a huge fucking pain in the ass since I got Kubuntu, even something as simple as downloading and installing Yahoo Instant Messenger for Linux. I am not going to give up on Linux just yet, seeing as how I expected a bit of a learning curve, but I have already spent hours trying to do things only to give up in frustration. Why on earth people sing the praises of Linux is beyond me. It certainly isn't user friendly. I almost gave my laptop the "F150 weight stress test" today. :wall

It can be frustrating at times. But it's worth it. If you think it's bad now you should have tried using Linux 13 years ago. Yet even 13 years ago I managed to largely replace Windows with Linux. Back in those days few people ever heard of Linux.

These days I do pretty much everything under Linux. I haven't booted windows in ages. Multimedia, office, email, etc.just works. If you find yourself getting frustrated stop and ask. In the beginning it can be frustrating. Like anything else it takes time to get used to,

W9PSK
11-17-2009, 12:39 PM

It can be frustrating at times. But it's worth it. If you think it's bad now you should have tried using Linux 13 years ago. Yet even 13 years ago I managed to largely replace Windows with Linux. Back in those days few people ever heard of Linux.

These days I do pretty much everything under Linux. I haven't booted windows in ages. Multimedia, office, email, etc.just works. If you find yourself getting frustrated stop and ask. In the beginning it can be frustrating. Like anything else it takes time to get used to,

I tried Ubuntu and it is much easier than Kubuntu. I have been having a ball with Ubuntu the last couple of days. Kubuntu seems to me to be geared more towards people who are interested in opening terminals, entering commands, etc. I am more interested in your basic "point and click" functionality. I still have to go through all the software options available under "applications", but I have enjoyed going through what I have gone through.

I noticed there are some amateur radio applications for those of us into digital modes. I don't get into digital modes, but a friend of mine is interested in them. He is planning on installing Ubuntu on a computer he has at his girlfriend's house. Our nightly rag chews have been Kubuntu/Ubuntu focused for the last few nights. I tried Echolink after downloading Wine, and it worked, so I can't wait to tell him later on tonight.

n2ize
11-19-2009, 12:34 PM
I was under the impression Kubuntu was Ubuntu except that it came bundled with KDE instead of Gnome (or whatever Ubuntu uses)

I run Fedora however so I am not certain about the subtleties of Ubuntu/Kubuntu,

As for the CLI (command line interface) I grew up with CLI's so I often use them by default even when there are point/click options available.

These days most distro's like Fedora, Ubuntu, Redhat, etc can be run without ever touching the CLI. But when i first started with Linux back around 95 or so the CLI was mandatory.

ad4mg
11-19-2009, 02:37 PM
I was under the impression Kubuntu was Ubuntu except that it came bundled with KDE instead of Gnome (or whatever Ubuntu uses)

I run Fedora however so I am not certain about the subtleties of Ubuntu/Kubuntu,

As for the CLI (command line interface) I grew up with CLI's so I often use them by default even when there are point/click options available.

These days most distro's like Fedora, Ubuntu, Redhat, etc can be run without ever touching the CLI. But when i first started with Linux back around 95 or so the CLI was mandatory.
You're right on the desktop differences, John. Both are still Debian Linux underneath the GUI.

Yes, terminal is still your friend. I find my most frequently used command is:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

and to keep everything neat and tidy:

sudo apt-get autoremove

as I just don't care much for the automatic upgrades. I also have a favorite alias ... easy as hell to remember:

lsd

which is my personal alias command for:

ls -l --color=auto --group-directories-first

Can't really put my finger on the association, but it sure is easy to remember ... :D

W9PSK
11-19-2009, 06:58 PM
I cannot get the Movie Player to play my DVDs. Any idea what the problem may be?

KC2UGV
11-19-2009, 08:31 PM
I cannot get the Movie Player to play my DVDs. Any idea what the problem may be?

You need to load the restricted DVD codec:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

As an FYI, if you are in the US, and you install this, you are committing a Felony. Use at your own risk.

Or, you can install VLC (Video Lan Player). It has the DVD codecs and CSS built in.

n2ize
11-20-2009, 02:48 PM

You need to load the restricted DVD codec:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

As an FYI, if you are in the US, and you install this, you are committing a Felony. Use at your own risk.

Or, you can install VLC (Video Lan Player). It has the DVD codecs and CSS built in.

As far as the dvd's (assuming you live in the free world) go you need to install

libdvdcss
libdvdnav
libdvdread

usually these are readilly available

it also helps to install

mplayer (which now supports Blu Ray)
mencoder

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html

and the codec package listed on the download pages

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

vlc is also handy as well and comes bundled with pretty much everything you need for playing dvd's and numerous other formats including streaming audio and video.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Armed with these tools installed your Linux system should be able to take on most commonly occurring multimedia formats.

Of course before installing any of these tool check the laws of the country in which you live. In some countries it is required that you only install properly licenced software to read/access certain formats. In other words just because you bought the dvd doesn't mean you can play it on whatever device you chose. Welcome to life behind the Corporate Curtain.

W2NAP
11-20-2009, 08:15 PM
use VLC the rest just suck ass

also

synaptic -> ubuntu restricted extras

VLC is the supreme media/vid player.

also with the kubuntu, it is ubuntu just with KDE4 there is also a way to install KDE3.5 on 9.10 also but you will have to look for that.....

KDE is more resource hogging then gnome but imo kde looks better. i honestly wouldnt try and run KDE on anything less then 1GB ram but again IMO...

W9PSK
11-21-2009, 10:25 PM
I got the video player working. Yay! :mrgreen: My first successful venture into terminal land. LOL!

N1LAF
11-21-2009, 10:59 PM
How about posting the best programs and neat stuff for Linux, with links. We can have a Linux-resource section on the website.

KC2UGV
11-22-2009, 09:03 AM
How about posting the best programs and neat stuff for Linux, with links. We can have a Linux-resource section on the website.

EGADS!! You're opening up a war to happen... "Best Program to do X on Linux..."

Remember the vi vs emacs wars :)

n2ize
11-22-2009, 11:33 AM
use VLC the rest just suck ass

also

synaptic -> ubuntu restricted extras

VLC is the supreme media/vid player.

also with the kubuntu, it is ubuntu just with KDE4 there is also a way to install KDE3.5 on 9.10 also but you will have to look for that.....

KDE is more resource hogging then gnome but imo kde looks better. i honestly wouldnt try and run KDE on anything less then 1GB ram but again IMO...

VLC is great but that doesn't mean the rest suck. I also (and mostly) use Kaffeine, xine, mplayer, and several others. Once you install all the plugins and codecs they all work great.

KDE is my desktop of choice.

KC2UGV
11-22-2009, 12:43 PM
I use aaxine to watch videos :)

W9PSK
11-22-2009, 04:36 PM

Leave the word "best" out of it and it sounds like a good idea.

n2ize
11-22-2009, 06:09 PM
I use aaxine to watch videos :)

I love aaxine. Often when I have people over I'll ask them if they want to watch a movie and I'll play it via aaxine. Everyone gets a kick out of it.

W2NAP
11-23-2009, 07:06 AM

well TBH since alot of the stuff you can grab from the distro repos. might be kinda pointless...

I would say links to Linix distros.

@n2ize I use VLC only for audio/video i just dont like how the other programs work.. IMO VLC = WIN

as for KDE I much prefer KDE but i dont like the direction they are going with 4 with the plasma crap/widgets so im reverting back to gnome :( i really wish they would have kept KDE 3.5 and just worked to make it better.

W9PSK
11-23-2009, 03:33 PM
And so, the progress continues. Today I got my Belkin wireless adapter to work. I honestly don't know what it was I did that did the trick. I downloaded a wi-fi tool, but couldn't get it to work. Then I discovered that Ubuntu has a built-in wireless utility. I created a mini-profile and viola, I is connectalized! :cheers: :monkeydance: :bbh: