PDA

View Full Version : Is this a "super nice" piece of gear?

N8YX
11-10-2009, 04:12 PM
'Excellent condition'?

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/1/9/5/6/1/1/webimg/297388947_o.jpg

And the kicker:

'10A and B bands have been changed'

Changed...to what?

KG4CGC
11-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Two words ...
Cee Bee!

KC2UGV
11-10-2009, 04:15 PM
11A and 11B bands, of course!

WØTKX
11-10-2009, 05:56 PM
It's a purty radio...

AF6LJ
11-10-2009, 06:12 PM
It's a purty radio...

The Butch
(as in butcher) mod
(the toggle switch mounted like a chimpanzee CBer was allowed to have power tools)
Reminds me of a 901DM I saw once.

It might even be the same radio.
That's scary.

If you can't do the mod right DON'T do it at all, it just shows your inner CBer....

W3WN
11-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Well... no. It's appearance is OK (but not "excellent"), but it sounds like the infamous Golden Screwdriver has been applied.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

N5RLR
11-11-2009, 03:05 AM
If the price is right, get a service manual and go through it with the proverbial fine-tooth comb. 8)

N8YX
11-11-2009, 05:50 AM
If the price is right, get a service manual and go through it with the proverbial fine-tooth comb. 8)
I'm not interested in the thing. However, the worst-looking of my '901DMs is still leagues better than that piece and I would hardly describe any of them as "excellent".

What people try to pass off as "excellent" is laughable, especially when the beat-to-snot front panel is clearly depicted. Bet the power supply has issues too; note the disclaimer about "returns" in the ad... :lol:

N7RJD
11-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Hey, it's better than what you get when buying a mint radio from Radio Mart. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

N8YX
11-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Okay, gang...

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/1/9/5/6/1/1/webimg/322566302_o.jpg

"It looks almost unused as the fan has no huge build up of dust in, on or around it."
Say WHAT?

"Fully Tested, the rig is in excellent working condition, it needs to be used, the set sat idle of over 10 years so the contacts need a clean but overall the set is in perfect working condition."
Anyone care to take a stab at that?

"...it is rare to find this model in such fine looking condition."
Is that with a front panel which looks like the rig was bounced around in some guy's van for the last 5 Hamvention trips?

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/1/9/5/6/1/1/webimg/322566263_o.jpg

I've thrown better-looking '901 trim pieces out for the trash. :roll:

AF6LJ
11-22-2009, 09:57 PM
:rofl: :rofl:
You really have to laugh.

Definitely a long way from near mint. :rofl:

W2NAP
11-23-2009, 07:08 AM
'Excellent condition'?

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/1/9/5/6/1/1/webimg/297388947_o.jpg

And the kicker:

'10A and B bands have been changed'

Changed...to what?

them golden screwdriver mods make baby jesus cry

N8YX
11-23-2009, 05:39 PM
"Cabinet is close to perfect"

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/1/9/5/6/1/1/webimg/322565937_o.jpg

I suppose that nasty-a$$ed gouge on the front panel doesn't count.

"...an excellent example of this classic and very hard to find ATU..."
I don't think I would go THAT far, and as far as being hard to find? I have three sitting in front of me, the poorest of which is in considerably better shape. :roll:

KA5PIU
11-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Hello.

That CB modded radio can be just the ticket for some.
I have radios that I paint Blue that are in far worse shape when I start.
Matching the original color or finish is not the issue, making the thing work is.
The parts others might throw out, that basket case, that golden screwdriver special, that is what I like!
Who cares if I mod the thing? the damage has already been done.

AF6LJ
11-23-2009, 06:13 PM

Oh come now;
That is not a flaw, it's a feature. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

AF6LJ
11-23-2009, 06:13 PM
doup sorry

W3WN
11-23-2009, 06:17 PM

Oh come now;
That is not a flaw, it's a feature. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Oh yeah. :snicker:

Under other circumstances, a minor cosmetic issue like that would (in & of itself) not be enough to sway me from seriously considering a piece of equipment... and might even keep the price reasonable.

But considering the reputation of the source... not just caveat emptor, but be afraid. Be very afraid.

kf0rt
11-23-2009, 08:02 PM
I'll "fess up" to having bought an "excellent condition" piece of gear from RadioMart.

It was a Drake TR-4C, and I had heard that Martyn plays fast and loose with his descriptions. This was several years ago, and I think the auction price was somewhere around $180. Perfect condition, been on the air recently, blah, blah, blah.

What I received was a TR-4C that was thrown into a box full of Styrofoam peanuts. Not wrapped - very "casual" packing job. Wouldn't even power up. Simple inspection indicated that this unit had spent some time under water. No joke, this thing spent part of it's life submerged.

Still have it and have given some thought to parting it out. KNOBS and front panel look nice. Recoverable to a usable state? Maybe if you have a LOT of time.

The real question is where Martyn gets all this stuff. Theories abound, but I suspect he's trolling the Silent Key lists in QST. This has been going on for eons, and you might get some decent stuff from him, but it'll be pot luck because all his descriptions say that the items are perfect in every sense.

If anyone wants the TR-4C (parts of it are now in baggies), let me know. It's yours for the shipping costs.

AF6LJ
11-23-2009, 08:52 PM
I'll "fess up" to having bought an "excellent condition" piece of gear from RadioMart.

It was a Drake TR-4C, and I had heard that Martyn plays fast and loose with his descriptions. This was several years ago, and I think the auction price was somewhere around $180. Perfect condition, been on the air recently, blah, blah, blah.

What I received was a TR-4C that was thrown into a box full of Styrofoam peanuts. Not wrapped - very "casual" packing job. Wouldn't even power up. Simple inspection indicated that this unit had spent some time under water. No joke, this thing spent part of it's life submerged.

Still have it and have given some thought to parting it out. KNOBS and front panel look nice. Recoverable to a usable state? Maybe if you have a LOT of time.

The real question is where Martyn gets all this stuff. Theories abound, but I suspect he's trolling the Silent Key lists in QST. This has been going on for eons, and you might get some decent stuff from him, but it'll be pot luck because all his descriptions say that the items are perfect in every sense.

If anyone wants the TR-4C (parts of it are now in baggies), let me know. It's yours for the shipping costs.
There has been a number of peaces from him that show signs of water damage. I've often wondered if he has insurance company contacts, buys the stuff for next to nothing and flips it on E-Bay.

X-Rated
11-24-2009, 12:02 PM
There has been a number of peaces from him that show signs of water damage. I've often wondered if he has insurance company contacts, buys the stuff for next to nothing and flips it on E-Bay.
That isn't "water" damage. :lol:

AF6LJ
11-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Taken out of context, the comment was in referance to the peace of drake gear mentioned above.

I know water damage when I see it.

X-Rated
11-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Taken out of context, the comment was in referance to the peace of drake gear mentioned above.

They are continually looking for alternatives to regular toilet use.

w0aew
11-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Any piece of gear is in excellent condition when viewed through the Nostalgia Goggles. :shifty

AF6LJ
11-25-2009, 09:16 PM
[quote=AF6LJ]

They are continually looking for alternatives to regular toilet use.[/quote:i744cxjz]

No I'm not.
How you could come off so hostile when I just made a simple correction is beyond me.

X-Rated
11-25-2009, 09:22 PM
No I'm not.
How you could come off so hostile when I just made a simple correction is beyond me.
You totally missed my point. Sorry.

AF6LJ
11-26-2009, 09:28 AM
No I'm not.

I'm curious what was your point?

It can be hard to tell what someone is trying to communicate when there are only five or six words.

WX7P
11-26-2009, 01:05 PM
No I'm not.

Not the first time, alas...

Anyway, there's no question this Martyn guy is a scam artist. Art's correct, nostalgia googles do improve condition of any thing collectible. I consider my Biscayne a great condition original, but in 1969 the car in the same condition would be on Honest Abe's car lot with $500 price tag on it. It's all a matter of timing.

I'm not defending radiomart, Rob's example shows the dude is a scumbag. BUT, I have a real problem with condition queens, especially when they get pissy about prices. When I sell stuff, I tend to price it at the in between low and medium range ACV (actual Cash Value or Market Value). That means I'm not trying to get top dollar, but I'm not going to give it away. A lot of condition queens want the gear for nothing AND in perfect cosmetic shape (Electrically sound is a given without previous notice).

If I get someone who grills me about condition and then pitches a low ball offer, the answer is always "the price is the price".
9 times out of 10 will result in the buyer whining about condition and wanting a price reduction, note, not a refund. I had this happen with a Kenwood Amplifier which I sold for $650 and a Kenwood TS 950SDX, which I sold for $1800. The guy who bought the 950SDX was really slimy. Went on and on about condition and collectivity etc. He had two other 950SDX's already. I told him NO on a price reduction, but bought the radio anyway. He got the radio,and vandalized the radio so it didn't work, stole the components (mic and voice keyer) returned it to me asking that I put in a damage claim. I couldn't prove he wrecked the radio, but I made damn sure he returned the components to the shipping company. I didn't want that loser keeping the mic and voice keyer which were worth $250 used at the time. His call was W7 something (1x2) in Portland, OR. A real slimeball.

kf0rt
11-26-2009, 01:37 PM
I did a bunch of net research on Martyn after the Drake deal. Needless to say, I didn't leave feedback on the auction after I discovered how he works THAT.

I don't know where he gets all this stuff (and my research didn't answer that question), but it's pretty clear that he turns around a lot of gear, and he describes it all in excellent working condition. There are quite a number of hams out there who have bought from RadioMart and are quite pleased with what they got. I assume they're not too picky about packaging or that Martyn actually packages things better when he's not screwing you.

Bottom line, though, he does sell some quality stuff, you just can't really tell if you're getting quality or junk based on his description. My advice would be to just avoid RadioMart altogether.

That said, I do think there are ways you might be able to tell. I'm not 100% certain, but there appears to be "clues" in his wording, but even then, you can be assured that he has never powered any of this stuff on. Stuff like "one owner from original" may indicate junk, for instance. He also used to offer hi-rez photos (maybe still does?) that you could get by request. I would definitely do that. If the description absolutely raves about the equipment (like one stop short of saying this was R.L. Drake's personal radio), it's probably pretty clean visually. But, can you just take it at face value? NO!

In any case, I'm not defending the guy. He's screwed a lot of folks with his glowing descriptions of junk.

Another auction (not RadioMart) turned out much better. Guy selling an R-4C. Kind of "nothing special" description; just said it was in good working order and would be packed well. Picked that up for a "song." After it was shipped, I was looking at the UPS site and wondering why the heck the shipping weight was listed as 38 lbs. I mean... 38 lbs for an R-4C? Must be a mistake. The package arrived, and it was heavier than hell! Opened up the cardboard box and the receiver was packaged inside a home-made plywood box that was screwed shut! 5/8" plywood, too! Got that open, and the receiver was packed TIGHT with sheets of Styrofoam. Receiver powered right up and is so sensitive, I never bothered tuning it up.

So the deals are out there, but I would avoid RadioMart.