PDA

View Full Version : One of the best things about Linux

W1GUH
11-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Is how quickly it boots up and shuts down. None of that annoying hourglass that goes on FOREVER after Vista or even XP have come up.

kf0rt
11-04-2009, 01:15 PM
You should try Windoze "sleep" mode. On and off almost instantly. :monkeydance:

AF6LJ
11-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Managing widows services and controlling what loads on boot up can cut that time almost in half.
Sleep mode was already pointed out by kf0rt.

kf0rt
11-04-2009, 01:27 PM
I gave up widows services on New Years last year. :whistle

AF6LJ
11-04-2009, 01:36 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

KC2UGV
11-04-2009, 01:48 PM
You should try Windoze "sleep" mode. On and off almost instantly. :monkeydance:

Same thing with Linux. Sleep = Almost instant load.

W2NAP
11-04-2009, 02:33 PM
I gave up widows services on New Years last year. :whistle

i gave up windows years ago.

W1GUH
11-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Yea, I use sleep mode for this very reason. Still, there eventually comes a time when a new boot is mandatory. And someday, I suppose that I'll figure out how to control what loads and what doesn't, and what to load and what not to load....I know there's probably a bunch of stuff there to ease the problem....but I'll probably be 100% linux before that happens. I'd rather devote my "learning to administrate" time and energy into becoming a linux/unix guru. Almost there....I'm at the wizard level...but it's at the guru level where you really know how to do stuff, and that's what I aspire to!

KC2UGV
11-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Yea, I use sleep mode for this very reason. Still, there eventually comes a time when a new boot is mandatory. And someday, I suppose that I'll figure out how to control what loads and what doesn't, and what to load and what not to load....I know there's probably a bunch of stuff there to ease the problem....but I'll probably be 100% linux before that happens. I'd rather devote my "learning to administrate" time and energy into becoming a linux/unix guru. Almost there....I'm at the wizard level...but it's at the guru level where you really know how to do stuff, and that's what I aspire to!

For what loads, and what doesn't:
http://ubuntu-tweak.com/2007/09/30/how- ... asily.html (http://ubuntu-tweak.com/2007/09/30/how-to-control-ubuntus-services-easily.html)

In reality, you don't need much running. Ie, you can turn off tty's on all the consoles, save one (Unless you're a power user, but I only leave two starting), if you don't have a printer - Goodbye Cupsd. Bluetooth on a computer? Hasta la vista! Braille services? Nope. Not blind last I checked - Salud!

You can get a very snappy system after turning lots of this stuff off, even switching windows managers (I use FluxBox).

W1GUH
11-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Oh...I was talking about Windows' slow startup and shutdown. Linux is speedy just as it is...no tweaking necessary. Sorry for the confusion.

W3MIV
11-05-2009, 01:49 PM
There is a thread of horror stories on the Unbuntu forums about laptops not coming awake after being put to "sleep" (no, Fido, not THAT 'put to sleep!'). Seems there may be bug-ugh. I let this desktop "sleep," and found the same problem with it -- when you punch a key or move the mouse, nothing happens; the system continues to snooze. Finally, I had to do a hard reboot by holding the power key down for a few seconds to rectify the sitichyation.

Mayhaps, it would be wise to avoid letting the computer nod off if you have anything of value that may be lost in a reboot until this issue is resolved.

On other fronts, I tried running Ubuntu 9.10 from the CD just to test my current Compaq laptop (AMD processor and Windders Wista Premium). Unlike Hardly Heron (8.04), there were no hardware issues at all, including WiFi (which found my router and correctly identified the encoding as WPA, and came up flawlessly once the proper code was entered) and the nVidia video system -- which was identified and the proprietary driver proffered for installation (problematical on a boot-from-CD trial, since the system must reboot to load and use the driver). At least, I know now that I can install this new distro on the laptop and achieve full functionality. That's good news -- just so long as the laptop and I can stay awake. ;)

W2NAP
11-06-2009, 02:37 AM
There is a thread of horror stories on the Unbuntu forums about laptops not coming awake after being put to "sleep" (no, Fido, not THAT 'put to sleep!'). Seems there may be bug-ugh. I let this desktop "sleep," and found the same problem with it -- when you punch a key or move the mouse, nothing happens; the system continues to snooze. Finally, I had to do a hard reboot by holding the power key down for a few seconds to rectify the sitichyation.

Mayhaps, it would be wise to avoid letting the computer nod off if you have anything of value that may be lost in a reboot until this issue is resolved.

On other fronts, I tried running Ubuntu 9.10 from the CD just to test my current Compaq laptop (AMD processor and Windders Wista Premium). Unlike Hardly Heron (8.04), there were no hardware issues at all, including WiFi (which found my router and correctly identified the encoding as WPA, and came up flawlessly once the proper code was entered) and the nVidia video system -- which was identified and the proprietary driver proffered for installation (problematical on a boot-from-CD trial, since the system must reboot to load and use the driver). At least, I know now that I can install this new distro on the laptop and achieve full functionality. That's good news -- just so long as the laptop and I can stay awake. ;)

i all ready have lucid 10.04 on my laptop :mrgreen:

W1GUH
11-11-2009, 10:55 AM
I've seen this with Ubuntu, too, but it didn't seem like a big deal. When it got hung after being asleep, all I had to do was hold the power button and shut it down, then re-start it. Linux boots and shuts down so fast that now I routinely just shut 'er down. Problem solved! (Or at least worked around).