PDA

View Full Version : X-Plane vs MS FS

W1GUH
11-03-2009, 09:05 AM
I tried the X-Plane Demo on Windows last night (had to use Windows...doesn't yet work with the new Ubuntu 9.10), and I'm very, very impressed with it. The scenery was stunning and the flying seemed smoother; I'm guessing that X-Plane does a better job of auto matching its setting to your computer. So I'm ready to plunk down the $29.95 for the DVD set, which, incidentally, includes all three OS's...Windows, Mac*, and Linux.

Wow! Maybe X-Plane has made a big difference. Just checked the price for the MS Sim, & it's $27.49 at Amazon. I KNOW I paid a lot more than that when I got it. Good to see the competition is sticking it to MS!

The only reasons I'd have for delaying that purchase is first, if I hear from anyone that the full version sucks (don't expect that, tho'), and second (pretty likely), to wait until it's completely compatible with Ubunto 9.10 OR I switch to a different flavor of Linux that it IS compatible with.

Comments?

*Yet another reason for me to soften my "No Apples here, please" attitude, after all, that attitude "stems" from my Amiga days & has probably outlived its usefulness! :lol: OTOH...Linux is coming up fast as a lower priced, but really, really good alternative to Windows.

W4GPL
11-03-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm an avid flight sim geek and I think X-Plane is awesome. Its flight dynamics are amazing, it's about "as real as it gets". The problem with X-Plane is Seth updates it like most people change the oil in their car. There has have been at least 3 major changes to the API in the last couples years and it makes developing add-on scenery, planes, online connectivity, etc very difficult. So if you're happy with stock X-Plane sans any additional niceties, it's the way to go.

MS Flight Simulator on the other hand is far more popular due to it's price and branding. It has literally tens of thousands of add-ons and just as many users. The online community (VATSIM) is who primarily embraces it thus if you're into the online stuff, it's the obvious choice.

Personally, I use both. Though I tend to use MSFS a bit more because I like the online & addons aspect of it.

W1GUH
11-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the info. re: pricing. It looks like the prices today are about the same, or did I read it wrong that X-Plane is $29.95?

But thanks for the info. As I said I was blown away by what I saw in the demo.

W4GPL
11-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Looks like they lowered the price, it used to be considerably more. I don't recall what I paid..but it wasn't $29.

W1GUH
11-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Looks like a price war with MS. Good for them!