PDA

View Full Version : Flagpole This Spring

W3WN
11-02-2009, 03:43 PM
For quite a long time, I've been wanting to put up a flagpole vertical in the front yard. I've looked into some of the commercial ones, but they get a bit pricey, and there have been other issues.

Our long term plan for the new QTH has included a new surface on the front porch, including some landscaping changes. Right now, the plan is to do that this coming spring, since I have the deck on the back of the house now. Of COURSE a flagpole is planned.

Took the next step yesterday morning. A vendor at the WACOM Hamfest (and I've seen him at many others) was selling surplus 4 foot aluminum and fiberglass masts. To make a long story short, I bought 7 aluminum and 1 fiberglass mast. (The fiberglass mast will go into the concrete base, and double as an insulator as well). I'll have to add a few things, and figure out how to put a ball or an eagle or something on the topmost mast to make it look "official," but those are relatively minor issues.

Now with that in mind...

Yesterday evening we had the in-laws over for dinner. Got to talking about this & that, including the possibility of a Penn State/Pitt bowl game this year. My in-laws, and my wife (& her ex-husband & the ex-husband's girlfriend/2nd wife, and my brother-in-law...) went to Pitt... I went to Penn State. So, a comment was made about who's flag would fly over our house... to which I answered "no question. At this house? A Pirates flag."

And after everyone chuckles, my wife (who doesn't know what's in the car awaiting unloading) says "Oh, it's going to be an antenna. I just know it is. It's just going to LOOK like a flag pole." She knows me well, doesn't she? :twisted:

Vinnie
11-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Ah,
if you want to work G's, put up a British flag.

if you want to work JA's, well, put up that flag.

You get the idea.......