PDA

View Full Version : Why So Much Dislike for Contesters

n2ize
11-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Why do so many hams, particularly AM'ers have so much discontent for contesters. I don;t see the problem. Contests don't happen every day. If a person hates contests that much simply turn the radio off for the duration of the contest and do something else. If your life is so wrapped up in radio that you cannot bear to stay off the air for a day or so then you are in pretty bad shape. besides, even during contests there are usually a few spots here and there where you can get a rag chew going and sandwich in between the contest. Besides, most rag chews are quite unproductive and inexpedient anyway. Missing one or two over the course of a contest is irrelevant anyway.

W3WN
11-02-2009, 03:33 PM
There are multiple reasons.

But the biggest one is probably caused by those who have had QSO's stomped on (in their opinion) by thoughtless contesters.

This happens for a number of factors... the biggest one being propagation shifts. The second biggest? Someone has a regular sked on a particular frequency (be it a ragchew, a net, whatever) and they find some contester on "their" frequency at the appointed time... and can not or will not look for another one.

Which is not to say that there aren't thoughtless contesters out there, who would be proud denziens of the Alpha Hotel. It just takes one or two of these jerks to piss of a ton of people at once by throwing their "weight" around. What the non-contesters complaining don't realize (or don't care about) is that the rest of us are equally torqued off at the antics of these guys. (And yes, some of us complain just as much about it... which is why I'm being censored again on the CQ Contest reflector, as one of the moderators is blocking all my posts. They know what they're doing, they just don't want to hear about it.)

WØTKX
11-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Stay Dry and Comfortable! AKA, Premise of the Causal Contester.

Watch till the end... :neener: :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn9xnyBcHao0

[youtube:14xpp315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn9xnyBcHao[/youtube:14xpp315]

kc7jty
11-02-2009, 05:17 PM
[youtube:d9agt9io]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn9xnyBcHao[/youtube:d9agt9io]
Pretty Ear Regular except for the Louisiana folk music.....

WØTKX
11-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Dig that funky music... :dance:

Please understand that women don't do this, but some girlfriends sure do... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7YIC0CIRyw

[youtube:3eq4znkw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7YIC0CIRyw[/youtube:3eq4znkw]

KJ3N
11-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Contests don't happen every day.
The most offered "excuse" (and I personally think it's BS) is that lots of people can only get on the radio on weekends, so what little time they have to operate is "spoiled". Really? I gave a listen to the bands briefly this past Saturday. Huge swaths of 15m and 20m were a ghost town. Where are all these people who only have weekends to operate? :bs:

If a person hates contests that much simply turn the radio off for the duration of the contest and do something else.
Or (GASP!) try a different mode. :roll:

If your life is so wrapped up in radio that you cannot bear to stay off the air for a day or so then you are in pretty bad shape.
I believe the word you're looking for is... pathetic. :lame:

KJ3N
11-02-2009, 08:06 PM
The second biggest? Someone has a regular sked on a particular frequency (be it a ragchew, a net, whatever) and they find some contester on "their" frequency at the appointed time...
News Flash for them: Nobody has a "god-given right" to any frequency. I don't care if your "net" has been using a frequency since Christ was a Corporal. You don't own it. If I'm here first, you get to wait until I'm done, ASK me to give it up, or find another frequency. If you DEMAND that I give it up, you're in for a world of hurt. :slap:

....and can not or will not look for another one.
Make that will not. They'd much rather try to force you off the frequency. The cure that ails these idiots is that big "knob" on the front of the radio. Apparently, they're too stupid to figure it out. :roll:

Which is not to say that there aren't thoughtless contesters out there, who would be proud denziens of the Alpha Hotel. It just takes one or two of these jerks to piss of a ton of people at once by throwing their "weight" around.
And it equally pisses off others that nets like MMSN try to throw their "weight" around as well. They're one of the biggest "Doesn't F'ing Get It" crowd out there. :roll:

What the non-contesters complaining don't realize (or don't care about) is that the rest of us are equally torqued off at the antics of these guys.
And some of us just don't get worked up about it any more. I used to get torqued about contests, but then I grew up. :roll:

I also blame a lot of this angst between contesters and non-contests on what I call "One Mode Morons". People who will not simply go to another mode (or even another band) that the contest doesn't involve. If it's an SSB contest, do CW, RTTY, PSK, etc. If it's a CW contest, do SSB, SSTV, etc.

Also, if you're a "Single Mode Simpleton", I'd suggest a WARC band. They've only been around for 20 years. Pry open your wallet and buy a used radio under 15 years old. :roll:

There are ways to deal with contests other than bitching and moaning all the time. It's not like you don't know when these contests are going to happen. They happen the same time every year. Plan accordingly and get a life. :roll:

n2ize
11-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Well, during most SSB contests I'm on AM anyway,

W5GA
11-06-2009, 02:47 PM
So....YOU'RE THE ONE!!!

WØTKX
11-06-2009, 04:42 PM
So....YOU'RE THE ONE!!!

Spectrum Hawgs Untie!

Before I changed my callsign (was KCØTLW) I got into a ragchew with some gents on 20 meters. After a bit, somebody piped up abut my "new callsign" and the CW requirement. Hammered me on the premise that I was a recently upgraded "slow code" General.

So I changed modes, sent all their callsigns at about 18 WPM, 25 WPM "Farnsworth", and a 73. Pandemonium ensued, and a couple answered back in CW, claiming I was using a keyboard.

I switched to a straight key sent the callsigns again with a final

SKCC 1068 DE KCØTLW 73, ES 88 SK

Stopped all the conversation for about 3 minutes. :rofl:

It was odd, I never got a QSL card from those Killer Hamsters. Oh Well. :roll:

KJ3N
11-06-2009, 07:58 PM
After a bit, somebody piped up abut my "new callsign" and the CW requirement. Hammered me on the premise that I was a recently upgraded "slow code" General.
My response:

"And your tired, worn out, petty, point would be?" :roll:

I grow very tired of a$$hats like that. :roll:

No, I don't do CW. BFD. Get a fucking life and get over it. :roll: :roll:

WØTKX
11-06-2009, 08:10 PM
After a bit, somebody piped up abut my "new callsign" and the CW requirement. Hammered me on the premise that I was a recently upgraded "slow code" General.
My response:

Just trying to steal my lunch money, and I went slideways and took their chocolate pudding. Trixster majik made the weapons disappear. The argument was obviously pointless.

I'm an ugly smelly slobbering alien, please drop your weapons, I mean you no harm.

Silly monkey brains, the CW test does not make anybody superior.

http://www.acmetrendz.com/images/res/_cartoons_looneytunes_monstermangoebel_xl_500_0_ac me.jpg

ad4mg
11-06-2009, 08:13 PM
[quote="WØTKX":1qjfzo1w]After a bit, somebody piped up abut my "new callsign" and the CW requirement. Hammered me on the premise that I was a recently upgraded "slow code" General.
My response:

Just trying to steal my lunch money, and I went slideways and took their chocolate pudding. Trixster majik made the weapons disappear. The argument was obviously pointless.

I'm an ugly smelly slobbering alien, please drop your weapons, I mean you no harm.

Silly monkey brains, the CW test does not make anybody superior.[/quote:1qjfzo1w]
<please insert comment here> :rofl: :rofl:

You're shootin' blanks, my dear fellow! :lol:

EDIT: Quick on the draw ... Ya beat me to it ... I had you with the blank post for a second! Now I just look stupid, like I needed help here?

WØTKX
11-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Huh? :neener: :rofl:

http://www.dailywaste.com/wp-content/uploads/3569/curious-puppy.jpg

ad4mg
11-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Huh? :neener: :rofl:

http://www.dailywaste.com/wp-content/uploads/3569/curious-puppy.jpg
'splainin' a joke ruins the punch line.

For one brief moment in time, your post appeared without your comments, only the quotes. Maybe a board glitch.

I was all over it, hoping you shot a blank ... 8)

Cute doggie ...

WØTKX
11-06-2009, 09:47 PM
http://library.duke.edu/exhibits/pivotal-books/images/a-wrinkle-in-time.jpg

KA5PIU
11-23-2009, 03:50 AM
Hello.

The trouble is that some Need that callsign.
I sometimes get on and chat with gulf Arabs, less now, as well as Mexicans and Canadians.
Most of the time we have no concept of "Contest", we are passing traffic.
And, yes, there Are conditions where somebody does actually own a frequency.
In an Emergency all bets are off!
But for the most part 99% of all hams are very good, a simple request will usually work.
And, as far as somebody being on frequency goes, why not use this to your advantage? have the stations direct contest traffic 5 up or down?
Remember, people are looking for transmissions, a friendly redirect helps everyone.
Lets make this all work for all of us.
The reason Karol Madera has made such a name for himself is 2 fold.
First off, he stays at the same place all the time,

N7YA
12-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Several points....
I love contesting, but im a little pistol...but i hear what the critics are talking about all the time. They get stomped right out of existance by 1500w monsters who dont check the frequency first...these two camps will never see eye to eye. At the same time, i hear slow movers who feel they own a frequency and purposely go around disrupting contest operations of hams who did nothing to them just because they are feeling a little pissy about their hobby at the moment. Both side have valid points and both sides have things to improve on...neither will improve their flaws, and both will continue to think that they alone are right, this wont change.

I do CW almost exclusively, but i will never look down on a fellow ham. If you have a callsign, you earned it...plain and simple. You didnt make the rules, you didnt abolish the code testing requirement. And who am i, or anyone else, to tell you how to enjoy your new hobby, just enjoy it.

I have a vanity call, but i am the very first owner of it. I tested in front of an FCC guy. I passed the 20 several times. I build my own antennas. Im no better than anyone else because im just a geeky ham radio operator and nobody gives a real shit about us...thats a fact!

Contesting is fun because im a DXer first, i never park on a frequency and call, i always hunt and pounce. Contests are times of importance to DXers because we are only competing with ourselves. No Riley speech will make us better human beings, no amount of "come on guys, lets all get along" crap will make the sociopaths among us act any differently.

Insecure OT's will always continue to hate on noobs because they didnt jump through the firey hoops of yore. A testing requirement being removed will not make a noob any less interested or any less proficient in modern communications technology. An individuals actions will determine how i treat them, not their license status, choice of mode or participation in one activity or another.

The world is becoming a far more aggressive place than ever before, certainly a far more crowded place. Folks who have a faulty moral compass or deeply seated insecurities will lash out at convenient targets to make themselves feel better. It will get much worse before it gets better. Thats not narcissism, thats watching trends and trying to see a big picture. Contests, repeater psychos, emcomm wackers and Karol Madera are simply byproducts of certain peoples inability to process the stress of life.

When on the air, take a zen approach and these things wont bother you. Actually, thats what ill do, you can do whatever you like.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum!! :cheers:

KJ3N
12-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Or, to put it another way:

"Lighten up, Francis." :rofl:

W3WN
12-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Or, to put it another way:

"Lighten up, Francis." :rofl:
I want a Hulkaburger franchise!

N7YA
12-08-2009, 06:46 PM
...any of you guys call me noob....and ill kill ya! And nobody touches me....any of you HOMOOS...touch me....and ill kill ya!

WX7P
12-08-2009, 09:17 PM
I have a vanity call, but i am the very first owner of it. I tested in front of an FCC guy. I passed the 20 several times. I build my own antennas. Im no better than anyone else because im just a geeky ham radio operator and nobody gives a real s*** about us...thats a fact!

YO! YO, yo, yo, YO!

I liked N7RAP.

"Rap, rap, rap, they call me the rapper". -Jaggerz

That callsign RULES!

N7YA
12-09-2009, 03:05 AM
Im actually surprised that nobody grabbed that one yet. Its been available for 13 years.

The reason i got rid of it was because i like CW and the dit on the end was a real bear in traffic with low power. I always got back N7RAW, RAG, RAN, RAT (which is kinda cool)...i get very few busted calls with YA.

I think Sir Mixalot should have it. :agree:

W7XF
12-11-2009, 07:49 AM

How about an In N Out Burger....in Times Square?? :!:

W7XF
12-11-2009, 07:51 AM
...any of you guys call me noob....and ill kill ya! And nobody touches me....any of you HOMOOS...touch me....and ill kill ya!

Be nice Adam.... there are some gay d00ds on here... and a couple of lesbian women too!!
The Island loves all. :kiss: :kiss: :kiss

N8YX
12-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Im actually surprised that nobody grabbed that one yet. Its been available for 13 years.

The reason i got rid of it was because i like CW and the dit on the end was a real bear in traffic with low power. I always got back N7RAW, RAG, RAN, RAT (which is kinda cool)...i get very few busted calls with YA.

I think Sir Mixalot should have it. :agree:
Sir Mix-A-Lot hasn't time to be fooling with such nonsense.

Google "Prime Minista" and see what ya get. :yes:

FWIW, his "station" (illegal as it may be) sounds better than ANY so-called ESSB or amateur-band AM transmitter I've ever heard. Serious money went into the audio chain and RF stages of that setup.

W3WN
12-11-2009, 08:39 AM

Have you ever been to Times Square? Strictly for tourists.

W7XF
12-11-2009, 02:25 PM

My point exactly. Look at the coinage you would haul in with an In N Out there. Ya know, they are kinda world-famous.

W3WN
12-11-2009, 02:27 PM
My point exactly. Look at the coinage you would haul in with an In N Out there. Ya know, they are kinda world-famous.
They are? Never heard of them. Sounds like a line out of an old Who song, actually.

Besides, do you know what they charge for RENT in Times Square?

N7YA
12-11-2009, 06:47 PM

Be nice Adam.... there are some gay d00ds on here... and a couple of lesbian women too!!
The Island loves all. :kiss: :kiss: :kiss

I mean no harm, Kev.

I guess you never saw Stripes, with Bill Murray. That was a line from one of the characters. I think you know by now that i have no issue whatsoever with the GLBT community. Hell, half of my friends and coworkers are gay or bi since i live in the city and work in entertainment, lots of theatre performers, THEY quote that line to me. :lol:

Its basically the same as all the best jewish jokes come from jewish people....that used to confuse me until i realized that they dont care all that much, they are jewish and its cool, funny is funny. (of course, they are respectful, but ive heard some strong ones)

KB3LAZ
12-12-2009, 07:49 PM
[quote=W3WN]The second biggest? Someone has a regular sked on a particular frequency (be it a ragchew, a net, whatever) and they find some contester on "their" frequency at the appointed time...
News Flash for them: Nobody has a "god-given right" to any frequency. I don't care if your "net" has been using a frequency since Christ was a Corporal. You don't own it. If I'm here first, you get to wait until I'm done, ASK me to give it up, or find another frequency. If you DEMAND that I give it up, you're in for a world of hurt. :slap:

....and can not or will not look for another one.
Make that will not. They'd much rather try to force you off the frequency. The cure that ails these idiots is that big "knob" on the front of the radio. Apparently, they're too stupid to figure it out. :roll:

Which is not to say that there aren't thoughtless contesters out there, who would be proud denziens of the Alpha Hotel. It just takes one or two of these jerks to piss of a ton of people at once by throwing their "weight" around.
And it equally pisses off others that nets like MMSN try to throw their "weight" around as well. They're one of the biggest "Doesn't F'ing Get It" crowd out there. :roll:

What the non-contesters complaining don't realize (or don't care about) is that the rest of us are equally torqued off at the antics of these guys.
And some of us just don't get worked up about it any more. I used to get torqued about contests, but then I grew up. :roll:

I also blame a lot of this angst between contesters and non-contests on what I call "One Mode Morons". People who will not simply go to another mode (or even another band) that the contest doesn't involve. If it's an SSB contest, do CW, RTTY, PSK, etc. If it's a CW contest, do SSB, SSTV, etc.

Also, if you're a "Single Mode Simpleton", I'd suggest a WARC band. They've only been around for 20 years. Pry open your wallet and buy a used radio under 15 years old. :roll:

There are ways to deal with contests other than bitching and moaning all the time. It's not like you don't know when these contests are going to happen. They happen the same time every year. Plan accordingly and get a life. :roll:[/quote:2hgu48zo]

No man they got an sdr without a vfo and cant figure out how to change frequency without it. :rofl:

N8YX
12-13-2009, 09:48 AM
No man they got an sdr without a vfo and cant figure out how to change frequency without it. :rofl:
More likely: They got something with a VFO and are used to 'channel selectors'...

KB3LAZ
12-13-2009, 03:08 PM
More likely: They got something with a VFO and are used to 'channel selectors'...

:rofl: