PDA

View Full Version : another stupid question defrag this time

kc7jty
11-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Should I change to Auslogics defragmenter for windows 7 , and how do I put it or Windows defrag on the desktop for a shortcut?
tnx

ad4mg
11-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Should I change to Auslogics defragmenter for windows 7 , and how do I put it or Windows defrag on the desktop for a shortcut?
tnx
Auslogics has a brand new version of defrag out ... it's pretty impressive! I would suggest installing it.

I haven't toyed with Win 7 yet, but I would think you could still right-click any shortcut (even in the programs list), and select to send it to the desktop as a shortcut.

I will be doing 2 Windows 7 installations this week, Bill, and I will have a chance to figure it out at that time. I'll be sure to let you know of the old method no longer works.

I just stumbled on a solution offered by one of the MS dudes for doing this in Vista ... he is talking about sending a shortcut for the Paint program to the desktop:

Click Start > All Programs > Accessories . Click Paint with the right mouse button, hold the button down, drag it to the desktop, drop it there, and click Create Shortcuts Here .Steve Winograd, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

Found here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaappearance/thread/750ff03f-2fe7-44a7-8d91-b7fa61351b95

That's actually for Vista, but 7 is probably the same.

kf0rt
11-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Just checked it on Win 7 here, Luke & Bill-

The right-click / send to desktop trick still works fine.

KC2UGV
11-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Um, last I checked, NTFS2 doesn't benefit from Defrag.

ad4mg
11-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Um, last I checked, NTFS2 doesn't benefit from Defrag.
Huh, MS must have looked at the ext3 and ext4 file systems to figure that out. Neither of those benefit from defragmentation, either.

Free space fragmentation still occurs on any file system, although it's effect on disk access speeds is minimal.

W1GUH
11-01-2009, 07:51 PM
That's the second time today that I've read in a forum that defragging a disk will speed things up. It was also suggested that a defragged disk will do fewer seeks, and that'll extend disk life. Except, of course for all the seeks that happen during a defrag. I'm close to thinking that defragging just isn't worth the trouble.

n6hcm
11-03-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm close to thinking that defragging just isn't worth the trouble.

this is the conclusion i came to with data at the office. took some time to demonstrate it to a cow-orker who was sold on the value of defragging. i think that if you have a small enough disk and a slow enough disk then defragging might matter, but contemporary media and connectivity make defragging difficult and pointless. (*you* try to defrag a 2TB volume holding a compressed file system ... pointless!)

kc7jty
11-04-2009, 01:48 AM
Found here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistaappearance/thread/750ff03f-2fe7-44a7-8d91-b7fa61351b95

That's actually for Vista, but 7 is probably the same.
it worked, tnx Luke