PDA

View Full Version : Tetex versus Texlive ?

n2ize
10-26-2009, 04:13 PM
I went to compile a LateX doc on my newly upgrafed Fedora 11 box today and low... it tells me "command "latex" not found". I was sure I installed the tetex packages but maybe I didn't, So, I fired up yum and did a search and did a "yum install tetex*". So it goes through the usual process, resoves the dependencies and starts downloading the tetex packages, texlive packages, and some other packages. Then when it jumps to the transaction check it barfs and spits out something about a conflict between tetex and texlive. What the heck ?? I need latex. I use it a lot. It has the array of mathematical symbols and expressions I need,

The only thing I could figure out is that "texlive" is a newer version of "tetex" and you should either install "tetex" or "texlive" but not both.

So, I went back and told yum to install just texlive. So far so good, it's installing without and problem. What remains to be seen is whether it will give me "latex" and the assorted processing that I need.

n2ize
10-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Yep... thats what did it. it gave me exactly what I needed. So, you now install "texlive" packages instead of "tetex". Apparently texlive is newer version of the package. The reason yum barfed was because it was trying to install both and thus arose the conflicts.

n2ize
10-28-2009, 08:51 PM
So... I guess we don't have many LaTeX users out here hah ? :lol: