PDA

View Full Version : "NO", Part 2

N8YX
10-26-2009, 04:48 AM
Let's keep this one on topic, folks.

http://n5fdl.com/storage/ARPC%20Part%2097%20Petition%20Final.pdf

Now we have the likes of WA6ITF weighing in on the matter and (if I'm reading his position right) effectively lending support to it.

Just WTF is wrong with these folks? Would they sell their hobby down the river?

ad4mg
10-26-2009, 05:06 AM
His hero, Gordon West, is actively supporting it. To see West's interest in the matter, just follow the $'s. He'll sell plenty of his study guides to the policemen and firemen jumping on the bandwagon.

I've followed the discussion on QRZ with interest. Some people will give the petition consideration, if only to go against the attack dog over there, n3xp. He has some valid points, but is caustic and abrasive. And of course, Tim is there putting in his 1500 word lectures. Mike, KB5WBH, Winlink Whacker, wants to appear neutral, but appears to silently support the petition, although any benefits for the winlink lids are difficult to see,

I do emergency communications for a large group of hospitals (19 at last count), and we don't have any problems with the current rules. If you can't put volunteer hams in front of the rigs, then the support wasn't there in the first place. We've had very few hospital employees express any interest in getting licensed. The few that did were interested in RADIO, not emergency communications!

Pasternak's support for this is a bit curious, but he may be right in that it may make it to the comments stage. We'll just have to be ready to address it when it does. I shudder to think that I may be compelled to ask to be reinstated there if this comes to pass ... :sick

N8YX
10-26-2009, 07:35 AM
Some people will give the petition consideration, if only to go against the attack dog over there, n3xp. He has some valid points, but is caustic and abrasive.
In other words: He'd fit right in over here.

Unfortunately, the gent has PMs turned off. Someone needs to show him The Way... :snicker:

W3WN
10-26-2009, 09:06 AM
No matter how you feel about Emergency Communications (I really hate that term 'EmmComm') and what level Amateur Radio comes into play in it, in a given situation, or with a given set of government agencies...

The first question to ask is, is this petition really neccesary?

IMHO, it is redundant and unneccesary, as everything that it wants spelled out explicitly is pretty much already allowed. As was noted in the prior thread before it went waaaaaaaay off tangent.

As far as N3XP is concerned, if you look over the majority of his posts on or tangent to the subject at hand... he is very much anti-Emergency Communications. But the reason why, at least on the surface, is because he's in a pissing match with his local EC & ARES, all because some bonehead NCS's started a training net right on top of an existing 2 M simplex QSO he was in. [Which does beggar the question as to whether or not the QSO was where it was in order to interfere with the scheduled net, something I suspect may have happened, from reading between the lines... but that is merely an extrapolation, not proof]. I find it distatesful, frankly, to have to agree with the turdkey. But like the proverbial blind squirrel who occasionally gets lucky when it finds the nut... sometimes even the loudmouths are right, even when they don't realize it.

I think what too many forget is that we are supposed to be there IF we are needed. And there's nothing wrong with training, to a degree, so that IF we are needed, we are ready. Those are big IF's. And sometimes the would-be hero's... the so-called Whacker's... forget that.

W3WN
10-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Some people will give the petition consideration, if only to go against the attack dog over there, n3xp. He has some valid points, but is caustic and abrasive.

Unfortunately, the gent has PMs turned off. Someone needs to show him The Way... :snicker:

I just got back. You really want me to leave already?

WX7P
10-26-2009, 09:11 AM
His hero, Gordon West, is actively supporting it. To see West's interest in the matter, just follow the $'s. He'll sell plenty of his study guides to the policemen and firemen jumping on the bandwagon.

+1 That sums up Gordon West.

As for Pasternak, who cares what that Bozo thinks? I guess he may have some influence among some folks. I think he's an idiot.

This whole thing is LAME.

ki4itv
10-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Pasternak's support for this is a bit curious, but he may be right in that it may make it to the comments stage. We'll just have to be ready to address it when it does. I shudder to think that I may be compelled to ask to be reinstated there if this comes to pass ... :sick

Bill's posts on this matter really did not set well with me, and I'm not really sure why it took me by surprise.
I often detect an almost eager willingness in him to glorify emcomm.
I guess that's the nature of his beast though.

I kinda went stupid on him and felt like apolizing this morning.
I might be an ass, but, at least I'm cordial about it.
Not that it really matters what I think about this stupid ass push to officially legitimize thumbing your nose at the rules.
:wall

N8YX
10-26-2009, 09:38 AM

Notice the "snicker", Ron.

If he (or anyone else you don't like) happens to appear, put the d00d on "Ignore".

W3WN
10-26-2009, 10:43 AM

Notice the "snicker", Ron.

If he (or anyone else you don't like) happens to appear, put the d00d on "Ignore".

:naughty:

Sorry, I should have added a "wink" or a :snicker: or something to indicate that I was in a bit of a light humor mode when transcribing that thought. :doh: My bad.

KA5PIU
10-27-2009, 03:58 AM
Hello.

Look at where this stuff is coming from, TEXAS!
Texas has its own military.
http://www.txsg.state.tx.us/
That is correct, Texas has an all volunteer military force.
I have met 3 members over the years.
The very first one I met was in Austin Texas.
This gent was to later form the Republic of Texas, a group that wants to have texas leave the union that is known as the United States.
The second one wanted to kill the pope in 1984 when the Pontiff came to San Antonio.
The 3rd one I met at the local Amateur Radio emporium, he wanted to buy a SINCGARS radio from me, and cheap at that! like I am going to be involved with that?!
I decided to see what the Texas State Guard was up to and posted a request to speak with a recruiter, nothing as of late.
What does this have to do with Amateur Radio? nothing but the radios and perhaps the frequencies.
Correct, Texas State Guard members use Amateur radios and frequencies, that is how I found out about them.
The current governer, Rick Perry, is very much like GWBushCo, almost the same brain patterns. :mrgreen:
The Minuteman project is another thing that runs heavy in Texas, but they push GMRS over the ham bands.
Not that I disagree with the minuteman project, but Texas employers are to blame for most of the troubles, they prefer Mexicans over even hispanics, cheaper and they can be pushed harder.
So some minor rules, like federal laws, should not be an issue. :yes:

n2ize
10-27-2009, 11:16 AM
When are these make beleive cops going to understand that law enforcement and public services don;t want to talk to them. They are unimportant little nobodies in the scheme of things. Law enforcement, emergency services, etc. are not interested in talking to them or their toy ham radios. It's time they stop overestimating their self importance and learn to accept their place in the scheme of things. Changing the rules isn't going to make them any more important. The cops don;t need them. The rules are good enough as they are now.

Johnne Lee
10-28-2009, 12:00 PM
I have yet to be able to read the .pdf that is referenced here, so...

Please take no offense.

I spent much of my adult life "...in harms way..." conducting "EmComm" for real! I have yet to meet a ham who I would allow anywhere near any of our operations area. My friends who are still in my former role have absolutely no interest in hams being affiliated with their current operations.

Ham radio is my hobby. It is called "Amateur" for a reason.

Just my humble $00.02 worth.

73s (I know I know...The OM used it and so do I) :lol:

N8YX
10-28-2009, 12:04 PM
I have yet to be able to read the .pdf that is referenced here, so...

Please take no offense.

I spent much of my adult life "...in harms way..." conducting "EmComm" for real! I have yet to meet a ham who I would allow anywhere near any of our operations area. My friends who are still in my former role have absolutely no interest in hams being affiliated with their current operations.

Ham radio is my hobby. It is called "Amateur" for a reason.

Just my humble $00.02 worth.

73s (I know I know...The OM used it and so do I) :lol:
+1 !

Almost without exception, every one of the PS-types I know (both ham and non-ham alike) wish to keep the services separate. I think the "DHS Grant Teat" mentality is responsible for most (if not all) of this current outbreak of whackerism.

kb2vxa
10-28-2009, 05:37 PM
Oh you NOTICED that? I was going to mention a Kewpie doll... :whistle:
Neat way for a group to get a station on the air without digging in their own pockets, it's been done and they'll do it again. Ironically they're following in the footsteps of countless PS agencies "upgrading" to radio systems that don't work having been sold a bill of goods by company reps we call salesmen. Can you see where this is leading or will the black eye be the one to make it clear?
Something about plug 'n play hams comes to mind but that's another can of worms...

N8YX
10-29-2009, 05:25 AM
Waiver for employee communications during disaster drill issued by the FCC:

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2009/10/28/11165/?nc=1

Good thing...or bad?

n0eq
10-29-2009, 07:28 PM

Good thing...or bad?

My personal opinion? It's all pretty meaningless.

There are hams that want to think, want desperately to think,
that they are somehow needed in the case of an emergency.
But they aren't. They really aren't. They might be needed
for other things and their own ability to communicate might
come in handy. But all the nonsense about "when all else
fails a bunch of donut eaters will be able to communicate"
falls into the "so what" category with me.

If you want to play cops and robbers, go become a
reserve deputy. If you want to be a fire doggy,
go become a volunteer fireman. But don't try and
convince me that you're going to save the world
because you've got a 2m radio and a simple ham license.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com (http://www.n0eq.com)

kb2crk
10-29-2009, 08:17 PM

Good thing...or bad?

My personal opinion? It's all pretty meaningless.

There are hams that want to think, want desperately to think,
that they are somehow needed in the case of an emergency.
But they aren't. They really aren't. They might be needed
for other things and their own ability to communicate might
come in handy. But all the nonsense about "when all else
fails a bunch of donut eaters will be able to communicate"
falls into the "so what" category with me.

If you want to play cops and robbers, go become a
reserve deputy. If you want to be a fire doggy,
go become a volunteer fireman. But don't try and
convince me that you're going to save the world
because you've got a 2m radio and a simple ham license.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

http://www.n0eq.com

well put banana man

W3WN
10-29-2009, 09:13 PM

Good thing...or bad?
Look at it this way...

The waiver was applied for. Therefore it is recognized that employees operating Amateur Radio on behalf of their employer during working hours on paid time (in other words, we're not talking about breaks or lunch, but as part of their duties) is normally not permitted under FCC rules.

The waiver was approved, not dismissed. Which means that the FCC officially recognizes this as well.

Precedent has been set. "They" can't argue now that "they" didn't know.

Ergo: This is a good thing.

VK3ZL
10-30-2009, 04:40 AM
I am a professional Communications Officer for the Victorian Country Fire Authority responsible for the Southwest Region of Victoria...I am an amateur radio Advanced license holder....One is a serious community committment the other is my chosen recreation and hobby...The two do not mix and have no relationship to each other...

I wonder how many of you have any idea of how a devastating and sudden disaster unfolds usually in minutes without warning, causing huge loss of life and destruction over a large area...Think of a small nuclear explosion over a mid sized city..Even the best technology we have these days will be overwhelmed for the first few hours...Believe me..

I have had that kind of experience twice in 30 years in huge bushfires...I believe I wrote on this subject in an earlier thread...Take my advice and if you feel so inclined to be a would be hero, leave your ham radio at home, join a State or Federal emergency agency as a volunteer and get properly trained in all aspects of disaster and emergency service..

After you have experienced a couple of real disasters you will realise exactly what I am talking about..You will come out of it feeling really humbled...

Bob..VK3ZL..