PDA

View Full Version : Much butt-hurt over CQWW!

N8YX
10-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Being heard and seen elsewhere.

Best argument thus far for keeping the bands contest-free during the weekend?

"I totally agree with (call sign withheld) there are to (sic) many contests. Many of us who work during the week have no time for the radio due to family jobs etc so weekends are the only time to get on and get out.It sems every weekend there is either an Rtty CW or SSB contest."
Gee...I work a full 40 at the very least, have a family...help out with The Island and at a number of other sites 'round the Intarweb...and still manage the time to radiate a little RF during the weekdays.

Also enjoyed are the comments regarding the WARC bands..."can't use them; no propagation!" and the nets: God/Gawd/Ghod forbid someone should interfere with the daily meeting of the Possum Colon Net! :shock:

AF6LJ
10-25-2009, 03:39 PM

"I totally agree with (call sign withheld) there are to (sic) many contests. Many of us who work during the week have no time for the radio due to family jobs etc so weekends are the only time to get on and get out.It sems every weekend there is either an Rtty CW or SSB contest."
Gee...I work a full 40 at the very least, have a family...help out with The Island and at a number of other sites 'round the Intarweb...and still manage the time to radiate a little RF during the weekdays.

Also enjoyed are the comments regarding the WARC bands..."can't use them; no propagation!" and the nets: God/Gawd/Ghod forbid someone should interfere with the daily meeting of the Possum Colon Net! :shock:
Seventeen meters has been hoppin lately.

W4GPL
10-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Damn contesters are ruining ham radio, dang nabbit! :wall:

Nevermind the fact that 20 meters would have been absolutely empty this weekend if there hadn't been a contest. Put the teeth back in and take the wife out for dinner, ffs.

WØTKX
10-25-2009, 04:09 PM
God/Gawd/Ghod forbid someone should interfere with the daily meeting of the Possum Colon Net! :shock:

Awwwphooie. Is Mikey mixing too much tequila with the prozac again? Or is it that gent from Michigan still addicted to unending raging rants of mankind's stupidity? Crusty being too Crustacean? :roll:

Silly Snarling Possums, I actually miss them. They do get pretty silly about fighting for their spot on the dial, some of us have the sense to move and or just flip to USB and ride it out. Sometimes CW.

Contesters are just being contesters, why fight about it? Oh, right. It's a Contest!
:whistle:

The mellower nights can be outstandingly good... :cheers:

ki4itv
10-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Arguments made by the self-absorbed.
I usually give them a pass. They're usually hot to expound on some colostomy or weather information, of which I have other sources for.
Live and let live, I say...unless you think you're dying, then there's 75M after dark.
:snicker:

N8YX
10-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Someone decided to play the ol' "Contesters are jammin' the MMSN!" card.

And N2RJ just pulled and threw down the ol "ace-up-the-sleeve":

"Yeah and yet the same boaters who "depend" on the MMSN don't care when they fire up Pactor and hammer away at PSK31 or CW QSOs.

Talk about a bunch of hypocrites."
Bravo, sir. :agree:

ki4itv
10-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Ryan can swing a hammer on occasion.
I think he hit the nail this time.
:agree: :clap:

KJ3N
10-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Am I supposed to give a shit? I simply ask, because I don't. :roll:

ki4itv
10-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Am I supposed to give a shit? I simply ask, because I don't. :roll:
Gotta do it anyway, might as well give it to somebody.
Just tell them to consider it a gift. :rofl:

WØTKX
10-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Once in a while an idiot savant of the heart hits a home run.

Miraculous! :shock:

WX7P
10-25-2009, 08:45 PM
Ryan can swing a hammer on occasion.
I think he hit the nail this time.
:agree: :clap:

Yes, he can. But only when he sticks to radio topics. Otherwise... :disagree: :disagree: :disagree:

WX7P
10-25-2009, 08:50 PM

I guess it doesn't occur to some of these nincompoops that ham radio is an international hobby and contesting is part of the international ham radio experience. 99% of the world doesn't know about or give a damn about some of these silly nets.

I used to check into the GERATOL net back in 1990. They would always just shut down during any major contest. You never heard the whining from those members. Not sure what they're like now, but back then they seemed to "get it'.

N8YX
10-25-2009, 09:27 PM
I guess it doesn't occur to some of these nincompoops that ham radio is an international hobby and contesting is part of the international ham radio experience. 99% of the world doesn't know about or give a damn about some of these silly nets.
But...but...the Inter-continental Traffic Net lies ready and waiting to pass that oh-so-important Radiogram(tm) to the far corners of the earth! :shock:

I used to check into the GERATOL net back in 1990. They would always just shut down during any major contest. You never heard the whining from those members. Not sure what they're like now, but back then they seemed to "get it'.
Any NCS with half a brain will make contingency plans for contest weekend. Some of the more savvy types will even accommodate the stray contester who wanders onto the net frequency and needs one of the participants for a multiplier. A little good will goes a long way...

As far as the notion some of them have regarding contesters interfering with ongoing emergency communications - on purpose, yet - let's just say with the seeming glut of whackers in the hobby these days, it would probably be a case of a$$es and elbows to see who could actually make contact with the affected party. In other words...there would simply be too much "help" show up on frequency.

W3WN
10-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Here's the thing.

Most contesters will not deliberately interfere with a net or ragchew in progress.

Key words/phrases:
-- Most contesters; the vast majority, but like everything involving human beings, it just takes a tiny percentage of anal orifaces to muck things up for everyone else
-- deliberately interfere; propagation does change, and sometimes that causes unintentional interference. This is not unique to contests, something that the screwballs seem to forget
-- in progress; Not every licensed amateur in the world has memorized every frequency where the POOSSLQ net, ad infinitum ad nauseum net, and all the rest hang out. So sometimes a contest station will be parked on a frequency for significant time, and suddently a Very Important Net Station informs him that the POOSSLQ net is about to start and said contester MUST vacate the frequency? And then they wonder why the contester gets torqued off at them?

I won't deny that some contesters are jerks (or worse). I know quite a few. There's one particular M/M contest station in driving distance... well, I'd never accept an invitation to operate from there, because of the antics said station's owner and operators pull on the air (not that I ever expect said invitation, since he & I have had a few run-ins). There are quite a few that think only of themselves and no one else, or who become would-be lawyers and look to split hairs on the letter of the "law" (contest rules) and ignore the spirit of the contest, to say nothing of good amateur practice.

But even with that, and everything it implies, in mind... you can't tell me that every band and every mode was consumed by the contest. And you can't tell me that no nets operated, or no ragchews took place, on the "traditional" bands this weekend. Yes, the bands were crowded (wasn't it great to hear 15 open like that?), but not THAT crowded.

I'm just sorry that I ended up spending so much time listening, as a raw throat kept me from making more than a few token QSO's (my daughter was diagnosed with the Flu on Friday, and it hit me for the bulk of the weekend).

W5GA
10-27-2009, 12:14 PM
I think the attitude of 'too many contests' is multi-part. A lot of the net folks think that receiver design apexed at the KWM-2, and it's filtering capability. A lot of them really believe that the world is arm-chair copy and don't own either filters or headphones, or when to use either one vice a speaker. And most of them are not technically cognizant enough to understand that you will have interference issues in crowded band with a TS-50/FT-101/SB-104 and their ilk no matter what. They also don't understand that the guys with 6 over 6 over 6 beaming EU can't even hear them, no matter where they are.

N8YX
10-27-2009, 01:40 PM
The denials and angst keep right on rolling, gang.

Justified, of course, in the minds of some because - apparently - they're too bloody cheap to install a type-accepted marine SSB set in their motor vessel in case of emergency.

:wall

kd7msc
10-27-2009, 04:59 PM

Justified, of course, in the minds of some because - apparently - they're too bloody cheap to install a type-accepted marine SSB set in their motor vessel in case of emergency.

Hey N8YX I like the quote :D There is so much more I have to say to that whacker.

73, Sean

N8YX
10-27-2009, 05:21 PM

Hey N8YX I like the quote :D There is so much more I have to say to that whacker.

73, Sean
Sean,

Occasionally I'll pick a fitting one from here and there 'round the Net. :lol:

Speaking of nets...I am not "anti" net, nor am I "pro"-contest. What pisses me off is when a net attempts to operate under false pretenses in an effort to camp out on (and hold) a frequency.

"Emergency frequency"? There had damned well better be a declared and ongoing emergency, for reasons I've stated earlier.

It sounds like the net manager needs to reel a certain 5-land NCS in a tad. Failing to do so is going to send a loud and clear message to everyone regarding the net's motives.

kd7msc
10-27-2009, 08:02 PM
I really felt like telling that guy that John Bobbit called and wants to know where his dick head is.... :D

N8YX
10-27-2009, 09:04 PM
I really felt like telling that guy that John Bobbit called and wants to know where his dick head is.... :D
Probably trying to figure out who at the ARRL he ought to sue over the next contest.

For those over here who missed the phun:

http://asciibaron.dyndns.org/radio/af5t.mp3

kd7msc
10-27-2009, 09:39 PM
I am suprised that I have not heard from a mod over there yet for calling him a jack ass. My guess is they think he is a jack ass too.

Edit: http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=107651&highlight=KD4WDG He has been at this for a few years. He even states in this thread that he owns a Henry 3K Console amplifier along with all of his other HF equipment. What do ya bet he is a bootlegger too? I dont think that Henry will like being ran at 200 watts PEP or less...

N8YX
10-28-2009, 04:47 AM
I am suprised that I have not heard from a mod over there yet for calling him a jack ass. My guess is they think he is a jack ass too.

Edit: http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=107651&highlight=KD4WDG He has been at this for a few years. He even states in this thread that he owns a Henry 3K Console amplifier along with all of his other HF equipment. What do ya bet he is a bootlegger too? I dont think that Henry will like being ran at 200 watts PEP or less...
...and you know what the FCC says about "possession", right?

That linked thread needs a LOT more tinfoil. Terrorists? DHS? Pirates? What the hell has his city been fluoridatin' the water with? :think

KJ3N
10-28-2009, 06:41 AM

...and you know what the FCC says about "possession", right?

That linked thread needs a LOT more tinfoil. Terrorists? DHS? Pirates? What the hell has his city been fluoridatin' the water with? :think
I think his "Armature Community" is wound too tight. :lame:

W3WN
10-28-2009, 09:23 AM
I think the attitude of 'too many contests' is multi-part. A lot of the net folks think that receiver design apexed at the KWM-2, and it's filtering capability. A lot of them really believe that the world is arm-chair copy and don't own either filters or headphones, or when to use either one vice a speaker. And most of them are not technically cognizant enough to understand that you will have interference issues in crowded band with a TS-50/FT-101/SB-104 and their ilk no matter what. They also don't understand that the guys with 6 over 6 over 6 beaming EU can't even hear them, no matter where they are.

Yupper.

And then there are those self-serving kvetchers, like a certain person who's trying to bring back the good old days of AX.25 1200 baud packet, who will complain about contesters causing deliberate interference, because... and read this carefully...

there's this one station on the right coast working someone in EU, on the same frequency that this other station on the left coast is working someone in AS. Now, the two coastals can't here each other due to propagation.

Yet, one of them is deliberately interferring with the other because... he's sitting somewhere in between, and he can hear both stations, but only wants to hear one of them.

So obviously, the other one is deliberately interfering with... him? :bs:

ki4itv
10-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Not the first time propagation has got in the way of a good argument.
But, that was the first time I've seen it happen on the internet. :lol: