PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a windows emulator for linux?

W1GUH
10-22-2009, 11:27 PM
There's a few free ones out there, WINE is one example. http://www.winehq.org/

I'm using VMWare at work....but that one's just a tad expensive!

W2NAP
10-23-2009, 01:24 AM
i have messed with WINE. got a few games to run with it.

not to bad

KC2UGV
10-23-2009, 08:02 AM
WINE, or CrossOver. Crossover is the "pay-for" version, but when you pay, your "choice of software" gets put up higher on the list to make work. And, they dump every peice of code back into WINE.

I actually bought CrossOver so I could get QuickBooks higher on the list of things to make work. And now, it's come a long way.

N2CHX
10-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Wine, but I rarely have a need for it as I rarely have a need to run Windows programs.

n2ize
10-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Wine, but I rarely have a need for it as I rarely have a need to run Windows programs.

Yep, same here. It is rare that I run any Windows stuff.

W4GPL
10-23-2009, 02:22 PM
I use a virtual machine to play poker. It runs in Wine, but it's a little glitchy from time to time. So I use VirtualBox, which is currently free of charge from Sun (Oracle).

n2ize
10-23-2009, 06:11 PM
I use a virtual machine to play poker. It runs in Wine, but it's a little glitchy from time to time. So I use VirtualBox, which is currently free of charge from Sun (Oracle).

Wine is finicky. Some programs run great under Wine. Others run lousy and many don't run at all. I haven't tired virtual box. I'll have to add it to my list of things to experiment with.

KC2UGV
10-23-2009, 06:51 PM

Wine is finicky. Some programs run great under Wine. Others run lousy and many don't run at all. I haven't tired virtual box. I'll have to add it to my list of things to experiment with.

It's basically the same thing as VMWare. If you've used that, then VirtualBox should be easy. Only difference? You don't need to re-install virtualbox if you update your kernel. I hate that about VMWare.

W4GPL
10-23-2009, 06:53 PM
VirtualBox still has to rebuild the modules after time you update your kernel, but it uses a more of a dkms type system rather than having to rerun vmware-config.pl or whatever. VirtualBox's DirectX support is quite good too compared to VMWare.. I use it to run SlingBox when I'm traveling so I can watch my TV from anywhere.

Also VMware offers "VMware Player" -- it doesn't let you build new VMs, but you can get free images for various operating systems and go from there. So technically VMWare has a free of charge option as well.

n6hcm
10-23-2009, 11:11 PM

no, it's not--VMWare Server is free. (their products have messed up nomenclature.) however, you will still need a copy of Windows to load in your VMWare virtual machine.

W1GUH
10-24-2009, 10:43 AM

no, it's not--VMWare Server is free. (their products have messed up nomenclature.) however, you will still need a copy of Windows to load in your VMWare virtual machine.

Thanks for that info. My search was pretty cursory & I was probably looking at their "enterprise" stuff. I'll look a little more carefully. OTOH, the comments here about very little need for Windows is what I'm thinking, too. I'm not sure I want to take the time to get one of the emulators going...I'd guess that's at least a half day effort; I might wait until I really "need" to do it!

Thanks again.

n6hcm
10-26-2009, 05:26 AM
OTOH, the comments here about very little need for Windows is what I'm thinking, too. I'm not sure I want to take the time to get one of the emulators going...I'd guess that's at least a half day effort; I might wait until I really "need" to do it!

Thanks again.

i think this is a great strategy. the platform isn't, itself, unworthy ... you simply have to know where to look (and make some changes to your practice). most users can get by without having to make any fallbacks to windows.

KC2UGV
10-26-2009, 06:20 AM

Thanks for that info. My search was pretty cursory & I was probably looking at their "enterprise" stuff. I'll look a little more carefully. OTOH, the comments here about very little need for Windows is what I'm thinking, too. I'm not sure I want to take the time to get one of the emulators going...I'd guess that's at least a half day effort; I might wait until I really "need" to do it!

Thanks again.

To save you some steps, here's the link to VMWare server:
http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

You have to register for codes, but they're free and you can request up to 100 I think at a time.