10-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Solution looking for a problem?

http://forums.qrz.com/showpost.php?p=1737698&postcount=1

W3WN
10-20-2009, 01:14 PM

Is this for real?

I'm looking at the CSS web site, and I just am totally flabbergasted. They have GOT to be kidding.

KC2UGV
10-20-2009, 02:00 PM
And this is better than DigiPup how?

N2NH
10-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Well it is well past time when these programs became Windows compatible. OTOH, is packet still used? Outside of APRS, I don't see it at all.

WØTKX
10-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Oh what the heck. Put a few more features in there, and you won't need the OP anymore.

Just think, no more wackers... :snicker:

KJ3N
10-20-2009, 06:12 PM

And here I thought it was going to be a thread about D-Star. ;) :lol:

WØTKX
10-20-2009, 08:39 PM
There's some loose talk among some folks here about putting some old school BBS door games up on packet. With ANSI twirling cursors. Because we can. ;)

kb2vxa
10-20-2009, 11:11 PM
"OTOH, is packet still used?"
Barely.
"Outside of APRS, I don't see it at all."
That's why I've been using a Telnet connection to a BBS in Australia for the last several years. Last week the sysop shut it down leaving the APRS node so I switched to one of the few remaining. The US network collapsed a decade ago followed by the UK and now Australia is going down the tubes, packet is all but dead now.

Here's the kicker:
"MFJ and Creative Services Software announced today that EmComm Ops™ for MFJ, a packet only, 32-bit host mode program for the MFJ-127x series of TNCs has been released."
MFJ no longer markets them. :rofl:

N7YA
10-21-2009, 03:58 PM
"True multitasking means that EmComm operators can send and receive packet communications while simultaneously relaying messages to families and rescue personnel in e-mail,” said Rick Ruhl, W4PC, CSS president and chief architect of the company’s software suite. “And in emergency situations where communications infrastructure has been compromised or conditions limit reliable radio operation, messages can be noted in a text or Microsoft Word file, then imported into EmComm Ops to be re-transmitted at a later time when conditions improve. Operators can also export messages to a file to document communications. Of course, simple Windows cut-and-paste is also supported.”

If the communications infrastructure is down, it will save your messages for a later time....when its too late to help anyone. Thats a helpful feature. I have a few questions that werent answered in the story...can this system be operated with big fat ham-hands, holding a coke and a Jack In The Box breakfast burrito? Can it be carted around to make the user look more important while wandering aimlessly around HQ pretending to be a "first responder"? Will it fit in the dash of a mid-80's model K car in such a way as to be obvious to all that he is a really important "Emcomm OP"?

Want good emcomm? A 6v cell, some solar panels, a small rig and some wire...all fits in a backpack. No "communications infrastructure" to fail, just the ionosphere, and if IT goes down, its game over anyway.

I also like how the guys name is very similar to "Rick Roll". :lol: ...but i digress, im not here to pick on the mans name. :shhh

N8YX
10-21-2009, 04:29 PM
I also like how the guys name is very similar to "Rick Roll".
Too close to "bankroll" for me ... :shock:

N7YA
10-21-2009, 07:07 PM
HA!! Would you like a cigar? You've earned it! :lol:

kb5wbh
11-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Well it is well past time when these programs became Windows compatible. OTOH, is packet still used? Outside of APRS, I don't see it at all.

Packet is still around and alive. Here is a link to a website I take care of. www.arhams.org/packet (http://www.arhams.org/packet) The node status shows up red or green in real time via the BPQ32 node software we use. Depending on band conditions some nodes show red (offline) but they are still on, they just don't make it into the node lists of the 3 BPQ32 nodes in Ar, 1 in Mo and 1 in TN that send node list reports to the server.

I'm sure there are other areas of packet activity. If anyone wants telnet access to any of the 3 packet bbs's in Arkansas to read and send packet messages just let me know. I can set that up too.

Mike kb5wbh

N5RLR
11-30-2009, 12:26 AM
"...Want good emcomm? A 6v cell, some solar panels, a small rig and some wire...all fits in a backpack. No "communications infrastructure" to fail, just the ionosphere, and if IT goes down, its game over anyway...
I nominate this for Epic Post Of The Decade. :bbh:

kb2vxa
11-30-2009, 08:43 PM
I'll second it.

W2NAP
11-30-2009, 10:27 PM
3rd'ed it

N7YA
12-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Im glad you guys agree. I see theres still old school hams out there without being old farts. :agree:

OldFatSailor
12-06-2009, 07:26 AM
I resent that! I am an Old Fart!

N5RLR
12-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Im glad you guys agree. I see there's still old school hams out there without being old farts. :agree:
One can employ low- and/or high technology to a practical degree and have a reliable setup. IMHO, building in too much tech can lead to trouble. Witness trunking radio systems and Winlink, for example.

Not that these aren't good per se, but depending too much upon the "machinery" can lead to disappointment. :naughty:

Oh, and I'm approaching Olde Pfhart™ status. I've earned it. :snicker:

W3WN
12-06-2009, 06:51 PM
< snip >Oh, and I'm approaching Olde Pfhart™ status. I've earned it. :snicker:
You're going to join the Phone Handler's Amateur Radio Trarnsmitters Society? Sorry, we closed membership in that years ago...

N7YA
12-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Must have forgotten where you put the membership applications? :lol: :stirpot:

W3WN
12-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Must have forgotten where you put the membership applications? :lol: :stirpot:
No, no, no, that happened with the proposed Procrastinators-Hilltoppers Amateur Radio Society... we never got around to remembering where we put the apps, or even if we remembered to create them in the first place, so the Hilltoppers finally called the merger off.

Phone Handler's Amateur Radio Trarnsmitters Society was an inside joke amongst a few of the (then) younger members of the WPA Phone & Traffic Net. This goes WAY back to when the WPAPTN had it's annual meeting at the Breezeshooter's Hamfest at the long-gone White Swamp, er, White Swan Amusment Park (now the location of an interstate interchange); this was so far back, I was still married to the first one. Anyway, at the time, we were all too young to be President, and most to young to be a Senator. One of the, ah, more seasoned traffic handlers told us, jokingly, that we were all to young to be traffic handlers because we weren't all old, ah, gasbags... we disagreed, and very quickly the acronym was fleshed out.

And now those of us who are left are on the other side of the scale. Life has it's little ironies, doesn't it?

N7YA
12-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Indeed it does. :lol:

The Procrastinators-Hilltoppers amateur radio society MUST the forgetful ones since they misplaced the T. Without it, they are just a Phars (sic). :lol:

Either way, theres something to be said for OF's, ive gained some of my best tricks for DXing from the OT's who made honor roll several times over.

W3WN
12-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Indeed it does. :lol:

The Procrastinators-Hilltoppers amateur radio society MUST the forgetful ones since they misplaced the T. Without it, they are just a Phars (sic). :lol:

Either way, theres something to be said for OF's, ive gained some of my best tricks for DXing from the OT's who made honor roll several times over.
OK, you got me. I meant to type "Radio Transmitters Society," not "Radio Society" in my haste.

10 cream pies to the face personally delivered by Soupy Sales to me!

N7YA
12-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Aaah, there we go...that makes sense. And save a couple of those pies, ill slice up some bananas and strawberries mix them in! mmmmm