PDA

View Full Version : Hams on Facebook

K9FON
10-16-2009, 07:02 PM
Any hams here that are on Facebook?

WØTKX
10-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Gulp. Yes. Recently. It's an interesting place, isn't it?

I have found some very dear old friends that I thought I would never talk to again.

Emails fly beneath the surface. Freaking amazing.

Wasting time in Farmville, growing Pineapples with a purple Mohawk. :mrgreen:

N2CHX
10-16-2009, 07:28 PM
I am but I'm keeping that a secret. :shhh: :snicker:

K9FON
10-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Im not ashamed to admit im on there. Even if i am a ham i enjoy talking to old friends both on Facebook and Myspace. .

N2CHX
10-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Im not ashamed to admit im on there. Even if i am a ham i enjoy talking to old friends both on Facebook and Myspace. .

I'm not ashamed to be on it either. It's just that up until now I've kept Facebook and ham radio separate. :lol:

n6hcm
10-17-2009, 04:17 AM
i had this stupid idea that i would use facebook like i use linkedin--as a means to make and maintain professional contacts. well, that totally lasted for about a week. i don't really use most of the "applications," though ...

at the moment, i have more than 500 "friends," but i actually know (for "know" = "having met face to face at least once") a fair number of these people ...

ki4itv
10-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Lynne (XYL) put up a Facebook page last year and we had lost friends falling out of the sky on us. People we haven't seen or heard from in 25 yrs. or more... some that we'd been really wondering about, and some...well, they obviously think they share a background with us.
I decided not to put a page up. I'll just use Lynne's as a filter instead. :lol:
Too much information.

WØTKX
10-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Yes, it's a slippery slope. I have not been there very long, and keep a "low profile".

Some of the reconnection is difficult, because the stories from people you cared about long ago can be heart wrenching and scary. Finding humor and compassion in spite of it all is astounding and humbling.

The power of social networking on such a large scale is pretty amazing and I'm an insufferable optimist...

Time Travel is very weird. It's all good (very). But, like wow, is all I got to say.

ki4itv
10-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Some of the reconnection is difficult, because the stories from people you cared about long ago can be heart wrenching and scary. Finding humor and compassion in spite of it all is astounding and humbling.

I'll say.
Finding out just how many of us aren't with the living anymore was a real shocker.

But, by far the biggest twilight zone moment I've had in years was calling a very close friend after he sent me his cell number through the Lynne/Facebook experiment;

We shared houses together, partied relentlessly, and played in RNR/Heavy metal bands together for years...YEARS. The last time I saw him was when we stopped by his new house in Tupelo, MS in 1997. Then he fell off the face of the earth.

I call him up at his request and ask what he was doing now. Baptist preacher was the answer, oh, and singing in gospel groups.
He made it clear we had little in common, the past did not exist to him at all and I found it a most uncomfortable conversation. I'm glad he came out the other side alive, but man...I could have used some prior warning. :rofl:

It was really freaky. No more Facebook for me thanks.

kb2crk
10-17-2009, 04:27 PM
i am also on facebook and myspace although i have not checked my myspace account in over a month. it is interesting how many people come out of the woodwork on there..

N2CHX
10-17-2009, 07:00 PM

I'll say.
Finding out just how many of us aren't with the living anymore was a real shocker.

But, by far the biggest twilight zone moment I've had in years was calling a very close friend after he sent me his cell number through the Lynne/Facebook experiment;

We shared houses together, partied relentlessly, and played in RNR/Heavy metal bands together for years...YEARS. The last time I saw him was when we stopped by his new house in Tupelo, MS in 1997. Then he fell off the face of the earth.

I call him up at his request and ask what he was doing now. Baptist preacher was the answer, oh, and singing in gospel groups.
He made it clear we had little in common, the past did not exist to him at all and I found it a most uncomfortable conversation. I'm glad he came out the other side alive, but man...I could have used some prior warning. :rofl:

It was really freaky. No more Facebook for me thanks.

Nice.

Haha! Imagine old friends finding me on Facebook? I'm like the other side of that; Baptist preacher turned lesbian. :rofl:

KG4CGC
10-24-2009, 04:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLefo0fn96o&feature=player_embedded

AE1PT
10-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Yes. I joined up with the full "social networking overkill" movement several months ago. It all began innocuously. Two of the agencies here in Knoxville that I am involved with decided to begin tweeting. Meeting dates and times, information releases, links, whatever can be squeezed into 140 characters. Fortunately, a lot of the various board members and other stakeholders bucked up and said enough--go back to email and the websites.

Then, a colleague strongly suggested that I create a Facebook site, and join a certain Big Tent group. That was a little over two months ago. Like the stories of others, I have been in contact with old high school friends from 35 years ago, old girlfriends, past co-workers I have not seen in 20+ years--and actually made a couple of productive professional networking contacts!

Some of the stories are happy, some very sad. I learned that one of my best friends of 30 years ago had died--and amazingly two that I had heard died were still quite alive and well. Some have such different and amazing stories telling the changes in their lives--others are still predictably stupid and doing the same things over expecting a different result.

I only check in about once a week--sometimes commenting on something, sometimes not. A few picture uploads to the galleries, and automatic notices when I post a new blog article. It is a way to find people out of direct convenience. Some friends appear no where else, others like myself turn up a dozen pages or more in a google search. A fun thing, but I know those who are addicted to it--either updating pages, commenting on friends activities, or playing around in various game and quiz applications.

If you like playing around in social networking of one sort or another--either for fun or to promote yourself and your work--you will not be terribly disappointed. If you are not that type, than it is a waste of your time and will quickly fall into "ghost" status...

N8YX
10-31-2009, 07:09 PM
I tried an interesting experiment with Facebook:

Created an account with an e-mail address which was generated specifically for the purpose - has never been used anywhere else - and limited my profile so only "friends" could see it. (Since I'm an overt SOB, I have no friends whatsoever, but I digress... :lol: )

Anyhoo...that particular e-mail account has consistently gotten the bejeebers spammed out of it.

The security geek in me has concerns over Facebook for this and a few other reasons. Information leakage and unauthorized disclosure when used in a corporate setting being but one of them...

WØTKX
10-31-2009, 07:26 PM
Yea, well yea. I notice odd vectors of spam all the time.

I am quite desirable as a life partner to lonely Russian women because of ham radio.

Colombian and Brazilian women are interested in me because of a motorcycle site in NZ.

I'm still waiting for the FBI to bust me for laundering money... that looks like it came from Facebook. :roll:

Burning chrome, before the 3D webspace metaphors are common...

http://www.dymaxionweb.com/kulturedrome/William%20Gibson.jpg

KC2UGV
10-31-2009, 08:04 PM
I am. Proudly. BTW, N8YX, did you see that computer world article on social networks and corporate settings? It was interesting, to say the least.

n4aud
11-12-2009, 09:57 PM
I'm on Facebook also. It has let me reconnect with a lot of people, family and friends, but I did have to quit playing the games on there, just too much time wasted.