PDA

View Full Version : CBers - gotta love 'em !

N8YX
10-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Was listening to a popular area channel this afternoon with the general-coverage receiver...heard one of the locals out yard-saleing and describing his "finds" to the channel's inhabitants:

"Got myself a neat ham radio!"

"Whadya get?"

"Somethin' 'Crafters"

"Hallicrafters?"

"Yeah, that's it!"

"Boy, that is a nice one!"

(I'm thinking this guy fell into an SR-400 or SR-2000...)

"How much you pay for it?"

"Ten bucks."

(Damn. What did I do with that old CB of mine? I gotta hook it up and make this guy an offer...)

"What model is that Hallicrafters?"

"It's an S-38."

(Nevermind.)

"Got me another good deal at the same yard sale!"

"What was that?"

"Picked up a Radio Shack DX-300."

"Ain't never heard of one o' them!"

Newbees: Bringing entertainment to a radio near you! :snicker:

kb2vxa
10-05-2009, 02:02 PM
There is the up side, if he touches the chassis of that S-38 and a solid ground at the same time you may never hear him again. :twisted:

KJ3N
10-05-2009, 03:03 PM
CBers - gotta love 'em !
Ah....... no........ I don't.

I don't have this obsession with 27Mhz that some hams seem to have. :roll:

N8YX
10-05-2009, 05:17 PM
It's good that they leave 10M alone in your area. Here, they don't - either by bootlegging directly in the allocation or by splattering from outside via a POS 'export'-type radio.

I like to keep tabs on who has set up shop in the area; I don't want to be accused of RFI by someone who happens to see "all those antennas" then jumps to conclusions when their toaster starts talking to them. Further, there is absolutely no reason that the CB clowns should be just 10/S-9 on their fundamental (27.ish) frequency and still generate S-4 - S-6 splatter into 10....or for that matter, have an S-9 spur which is 910KHz removed from their 'channel' and smack-dab in the 10M subband.

KJ3N
10-05-2009, 07:43 PM
It's good that they leave 10M alone in your area. Here, they don't - either by bootlegging directly in the allocation or by splattering from outside via a POS 'export'-type radio.
I wouldn't know if they do, or if they don't. I haven't spent more than 2 hours on 10m in the last 6+ years. Nothing there for me, based on the last couple of times I was there. Too much CB-ish behavior from people who apparently have callsigns. :roll: :disagree:

W2NAP
10-06-2009, 02:12 AM
I wouldn't know if they do, or if they don't. I haven't spent more than 2 hours on 10m in the last 6+ years. Nothing there for me, based on the last couple of times I was there. Too much CB-ish behavior from people who apparently have callsigns. :roll: :disagree:

seems the cb'ish behavior is getting to be on all bands :-|

n0eq
10-06-2009, 11:07 AM

I heard a ham on a local 2m repeater a few nights ago
finish a QSO with -
"You've got the one, W7xxx, we're on the side"

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com (http://www.n0eq.com)

KJ3N
10-06-2009, 06:06 PM

Not were I hang out.... when I'm on, that is.