PDA

View Full Version : Grande Glorioso Island...FT5GA

VK3ZL
09-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Chasing rare Dxpeditions from Southwest VK3 can be a real challenge on 160 meters...Lucky me caught up to the FT5GA group on Saturday morning just after my sunrise to make my country total 217 on 160 meters...

I don't bother with other bands but I made a point of listening through the HF bands and they have been fairly active ....

Do we have any devoted rare Dx chasers on the Island ? I have often wondered about the location of Hamisland on the world map....It might be a great place for me to set up a 160 meter station...Just think, a full set of 4 square 160 meter verticals steerable in 8 directions surrounded by sea....Makes my mouth water....A few beverage ants for rx and we would be all set up

I don't actively chase rare Dx, rather, try and work them when I come across them..After all these years on topband I still get a buzz from working another new one...I always send a qsl direct but I have never been interested in collecting wallpaper or awards etc..

As an offshoot, regarding my current avatar...I am constructing another new 160 meter amplifier this time water cooled..The picture is a water cooler I recently constructed, fitted to a Russian planar triode GS-31B which has 1kw anode dissipation...I will post further information as I progress...Object...No more blower noise in the shack and as I havn't ever tried water cooling before I decided to give it a go... ;)

Bob...VK3ZL...

KU0DM
09-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Been chasing them for days, but my R8 just can't make it. :(
Pretty devout DXer, prefer contesting though.

Just wish it was all as easy as VP6DX was. ;)

VK3ZL
09-22-2009, 06:54 PM

Stay in there Duncan....perseverence is the way to go... :yes:

73....Bob..VK3ZL...

KJ3N
09-23-2009, 02:37 PM

3B7C was further and still easier than this cluster fuck. :wall

VK3ZL
09-23-2009, 08:35 PM

3B7C was further and still easier than this cluster f***. :wall

Yes, FT5GA are not doing well on 160 meters unfortunately....I always seem to have a pipeline to the East African area on 160 meters and have worked most of the area ..My worst path is Polar to South America on 160 but I have most countries there now....

Bob..VK3ZL..

N8YX
09-23-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm as dedicated as my current antenna situation and the sunspots allow. Let me get a 5-square up for 160 and 80....logs and yagis for the other bands, and it'll be a different story altogether.

VK3ZL
09-24-2009, 02:30 AM
I'm as dedicated as my current antenna situation and the sunspots allow. Let me get a 5-square up for 160 and 80....logs and yagis for the other bands, and it'll be a different story altogether.

5 square ??? Now that would have to be a "Pentagon" ... It's fine to have some gain on the low bands but that situation is out of reach for most hams unfortunately....It is surprising though how many small antenna 100 watt hams I have worked over the years including quite a few mobile on 160 meters..One comes to mind, Jon AA1K...He has I believe at latest count 55 countries from his mobile...

Ah well, I guess we all have our crosses to bear.... :(

Bob..VK3ZL..

W5GA
09-29-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm off the air at the moment, recuperating from a move. Last year was my very first on TB and I managed 93 new ones (went in to the season with 5, worked at my brothers QTH) there with a kw and a dipole at 45'. One of those was an all time new one for me too, T33. I'm at the unfortunate point now of having confirmed all that I've ever worked, as I just got S0 in the mail last week. I don't need FT5GA for a new one, but band fillers would have been nice!

Stuck at 297 now, and waiting for something I need!

W7XF
09-29-2009, 11:35 PM

I know what u mean, Duncan. I bagged VP6DX on 12m with a 10m hamstick. And on 17 with the 20. Ducie was a turkey shoot. Probably could have done it with 5 watts. I just haven't really messed with 160 as yet. If I wind up moving with this new job and I can get a unrestricted piece of real estate, I will rebuild my inverted V so it will do 160.