PDA

View Full Version : Linux + Wireless NICS

n2ize
09-19-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm having the dickens of a time trying to get a Broadcomm wireless network card in a Dell machine working under Linux. I did it a number of years ago using ndiswrapper. But now there are supposedly native drivers, both open source and proprietary available yet no matter what I try nothing works and it's starting to get very confusing.

I am willing to consider pulling the Broadcomm card and installing a wireless NIC that is compatible with Linux. Can anyone recommend any ? Either that or can someone point me to a good ndiswrapper howto so I can refresh my memory of exactly how it's done.

W2NAP
09-19-2009, 11:44 PM
i got a ndiswrapper cheat sheet for debian.

tomarrow i can write it up here

n2ize
09-19-2009, 11:55 PM
i got a ndiswrapper cheat sheet for debian.

tomarrow i can write it up here

Much appreciated. I'll look forward to it.

W4GPL
09-20-2009, 03:14 AM
Avoid ndiswrapper at all costs. Which Broadcom chipset is it?

n2ize
09-20-2009, 03:58 AM
It shows up as a Broadcomm BCM 4311, it's in an older Dell B130 Inspiron. Not sure of the chipset. Sometimes Dell OEM parts use a different chipset. I had that problem with a soundcard years ago. The thing is, it was working fine under ndiswrapper and Fedora 5.

W4GPL
09-20-2009, 04:57 AM
Are you using rpmfusion?

If so - do a 'yum install akmod-wl broadcom-wl b43-openfwwf'

Once you do that, Hal should automagically load the module after reboot and show up as wlan0. You can then use NetworkManager to connect to any AP you like, open, WEP, WPA, WPA2...

And as for ndiswrapper, there's such a thing as working fine and then there's working well. Ndiswrapper tends to be unstable, doesn't interact with with the more modern networking tools Fedora provides, and it's simply giving in to commercial work arounds. :)

Further reading on ndiswrapper and the controversy. http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/NDISwrapper_and_the_GPL

n2ize
09-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Are you using rpmfusion?

If so - do a 'yum install akmod-wl broadcom-wl b43-openfwwf'

Once you do that, Hal should automagically load the module after reboot and show up as wlan0. You can then use NetworkManager to connect to any AP you like, open, WEP, WPA, WPA2...

And as for ndiswrapper, there's such a thing as working fine and then there's working well. Ndiswrapper tends to be unstable, doesn't interact with with the more modern networking tools Fedora provides, and it's simply giving in to commercial work arounds. :)

Further reading on ndiswrapper and the controversy. http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/NDISwrapper_and_the_GPL

I did something similar last night but no go. But I didn't install all the packages you mentioned above. Since it's a fresh installation from DVD I'm going to apply the 500 or so updates and then install the rpmfusion repository then the modules you mentioned and we'll see what happens.

W4GPL
09-20-2009, 12:11 PM
What's it doing/not doing? Does wlan0 anything similar show up in 'ifconfig' or 'iwconfig'? You may need to try manually loading the module just to get started. I'm not sure if those packages put the hotplug configs in place or not.

n2ize
09-20-2009, 01:19 PM
What's it doing/not doing? Does wlan0 anything similar show up in 'ifconfig' or 'iwconfig'? You may need to try manually loading the module just to get started. I'm not sure if those packages put the hotplug configs in place or not.

No, wlan0 wann't showing up in ifconfig. Not sure if I tried iwconfig. Since I haven't done this in a while I may have forgotten some of the commands to use to check for my network devices. wlan0 was showing up in the GUI network configuration tools but beyond that it didn;t seem to know anything about my NIC or how to connect to it.

It's also possible that last night I might have installed the wrong modules. I'm going to try and clean things up and try applying the packages you listed above and see what happens. Right now I'm applying the 600 or so upgrades that follow a new installation...

I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for the help.

n2ize
09-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Okay, it's a No Go !!

If I enter "ifconfig" it shows me eth0 (the wired network) and lo (the loopback)

The output of "iwconfig" shows lo, eth0, and pan0 and says "no wireless extension" next to each.

If I clich on the Network manager icon it shows "Auto Ethernet" (which is check in use) and "System eth0". It doesn;t show anything about wireless networks.

The Network Manager tool lists "wlan0" but the "activate/deactivate" buttons are greyed out.

I'll look into it further and see if I can insert any modules that might work manually.

Beyond that I don;t know what to do other than try and go back to ndiswrapper. At least some wireless functionality is better than none at all.

If I try and install the modules manually , via insmod, it tells me they are not to be found. Where would they be located ? This is rapidly getting confusing. And at present I don;t have the time to read, "The Linux Kernel" from cover to cover. :(

W4GPL
09-20-2009, 02:58 PM
I haven't used a Broadcom card in quite some time, my old laptop had one and it worked. If you want to PM me, I'd be happy to SSH into the box and take a look for myself. I really really really hate people using ndiswrapper if they don't have to. :)

n2ize
09-20-2009, 03:26 PM
I haven't used a Broadcom card in quite some time, my old laptop had one and it worked. If you want to PM me, I'd be happy to SSH into the box and take a look for myself. I really really really hate people using ndiswrapper if they don't have to. :)

Good news... I had to install the modules manually via modprobe. Now I am seeing wireless networks in Network Manager. Now let me see if I can connect.

Bad news... The desktop freezes up after Network Manager connects to the wireless network. Froim what I have gleaned online it's some sort of bug related to NM.

Going to try to shut down NM and connect manually.

W2NAP
09-20-2009, 06:18 PM

Good news... I had to install the modules manually via modprobe. Now I am seeing wireless networks in Network Manager. Now let me see if I can connect.

Bad news... The desktop freezes up after Network Manager connects to the wireless network. Froim what I have gleaned online it's some sort of bug related to NM.

what about using wicd for network manager http://wicd.sourceforge.net/ (its prob in the fedora package manager)

n2ize
09-20-2009, 08:09 PM

what about using wicd for network manager http://wicd.sourceforge.net/ (its prob in the fedora package manager)

At this point I'm willing to look at anything that might work.

W4GPL
09-20-2009, 08:17 PM
It's highly unlikely that a user space is going to cause a lock up.. I wouldn't venture down that road just yet.

n2ize
09-20-2009, 08:23 PM
It's highly unlikely that a user space is going to cause a lock up.. I wouldn't venture down that road just yet.

Yeah, I suspect it's a "kernel" issue. Besides, wicd rpm's for Fedora are not to be found. And I'm not in the mood to start configing and compiling a tarball right now :)..

We'll give it another go as planned tomorrow or later this week.