PDA

View Full Version : A Google "something" needs to be deleted

W1GUH
09-17-2009, 02:56 PM
But I've no clue how to do it.

Somehow, I got something loaded in my computer from Google that intercepts web access and lets you know if the subject site has distributed malware. (Using lastest Firefox for Vista)

So far, so good, that seems pretty useful. The trouble is, I can't turn it off. The site that it's complaining is a pretty trusted site, and when I open up the "details" that Google sez explains the problem, every item says something like "This site hasn't disttributed malware for 90 days". In other words, what's the problem, Google?

There's an "ingore this warning" linky to click on, but by the time I do that, Google's prevente me from logging onto the site, effectively shuttind down that site from my machine.

Grrrrrrrrr....

I've NO IDEA how this "helpful" software wound up on my machine....I don't even know if it came as a Google or a Firefox update. (I sure wish that all software would, during the installation process, ask if you want automatic updates, instead of making that the default. Grrrrrrrr :evil:

I don't even know what it's called...there's no title in the message, so I don't even know what to search for.

Mostly rant...but I'd like to find info about this.

KG4CGC
09-17-2009, 03:00 PM
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Webmasters/thread?tid=1d2c20b46f3f1bb8&hl=en

Google is just playing Big Brother. Go back to sleep.

N1LAF
10-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Don't use google. On firefox, you can change search engines, there is a drop down menu to change search engines, you can use Yahoo if you like.

N1LAF
10-03-2009, 08:38 AM
In fact, I just added: Dogpile, Bing, AOL, and wikipedia

n2ize
10-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Don't use google. On firefox, you can change search engines, there is a drop down menu to change search engines, you can use Yahoo if you like.

Don't use Google is not a solution. There are reasons why some people may want to use Google. Case and point, I prefer Google as it enables me to do things I can;t do with the others plus, it returns better results in most cases.

I and thousands of others use Google without having the problems that Paul is describing. So there must be a way to fix the problem,

n2ize
10-03-2009, 02:25 PM
But I've no clue how to do it.

Somehow, I got something loaded in my computer from Google that intercepts web access and lets you know if the subject site has distributed malware. (Using lastest Firefox for Vista)

So far, so good, that seems pretty useful. The trouble is, I can't turn it off. The site that it's complaining is a pretty trusted site, and when I open up the "details" that Google sez explains the problem, every item says something like "This site hasn't disttributed malware for 90 days". In other words, what's the problem, Google?

There's an "ingore this warning" linky to click on, but by the time I do that, Google's prevente me from logging onto the site, effectively shuttind down that site from my machine.

Grrrrrrrrr....

I've NO IDEA how this "helpful" software wound up on my machine....I don't even know if it came as a Google or a Firefox update. (I sure wish that all software would, during the installation process, ask if you want automatic updates, instead of making that the default. Grrrrrrrr :evil:

I don't even know what it's called...there's no title in the message, so I don't even know what to search for.

Mostly rant...but I'd like to find info about this.

I think what you are seeing is not so much a Google issue as it is a Firefaux issue. Try starting here for answers

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/phishing-protection/

N1LAF
10-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Firefox and Google are in it together, its a coordinated effort. Using another search engine may circumvent this. There are other options than using Google exclusively

n2ize
10-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Firefox and Google are in it together, its a coordinated effort. Using another search engine may circumvent this. There are other options than using Google exclusively

Right, but that doesn't answer the original question. The question asked was how do you turn this off so this no longer happens when he does use Google.

N2NH
10-03-2009, 05:07 PM
In fact, I just added: Dogpile, Bing, AOL, and wikipedia

Dogpile is great. So is Metacrawler. Bing has distinct disadvantages but is very good. MS is great at learning from their mistakes. Bing will get better.

A quick note to Google ought to get a response on how to turn it off. If enough people do that, they'll get the message. What's the name of the program that Google loaded?

N1LAF
10-03-2009, 05:11 PM
I think there are two issues here - going to websites by direct address entry, and the lookup on Google. What I think is happening that if your page has certain errors, links to questionable sites, Google will not list your site, which is independent from Firefox. Follow the link above, and you will see people complaining that Google isn't listing them, you have a course of action to have your site rechecked by Google, but can take weeks to clear.

W1GUH
11-12-2009, 03:18 PM
This was one of those things that, I guess, fixed itself. I'd forgotten all about it until I was browsing this forum just now. Guess it was a non-problem? Been so long I only vaguely remember it.