PDA

View Full Version : Okay, Firefox experts...

kf0rt
09-02-2009, 04:52 PM
So, a few weeks ago, I was cruising some torrent sites looking for legal stuff ( :whistle: ) and hit something that started opening a brazillion windows. Had to power the box off (Win XP) to get it to stop.

Ever since, Firefox acts like it's deleting cookies when I exit (but it's not). The real symptom is that I have a few sites where I like to be automatically logged in, like here, iGoogle and a couple others. This no longer works and I have to log in every time. Settings sez cookies are enabled and deleted "when they expire."

I even upgraded to the latest 3.5 version of Firefox, no help there, it still does it.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Time to go "Chrome?" :dance: Gotta be some weird registry entry that got smashed...

KG4CGC
09-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Back the important stuff on another drive and reformat. Unless you're comfortable with digging around the registry. You could also look around "about.config" if you had a snapshot of the set up before you got your problem.

kf0rt
09-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Reformat would be a 2 week project here. Seriously, reformatting the drive would be my last choice. I keep all my data well "partitioned" and backed up, but reinstalling all the software is a mammoth task. This box has about 3TB of local storage, and it's tough to build from scratch (it's the server for the home theater upstairs).

Maybe uninstall Firefox, diss all the Firefox registry stuff and re-install? I'm pretty comfy with registry stuff.

I'll look into the about.config -- forgot about that -- thanks!

KG4CGC
09-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Yeah, reinstalling FF doesn't fix registry problems unless it's wiped clean.
You could look up registry errors for FF on the web. Just thought of that. Don't know what it would yield.

kb2vxa
09-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Just today I fixed a program that wasn't responding, could be this approach will work with Firefox without resorting to drastic measures. All attempts at repair/restoration failed so I uninstalled it, then deleted the folder always left behind. Next I removed any registry leftovers with CCleaner, then reinstalled the program from scratch, problem solved. Your bookmarks should be backed up to begin with and reloading the add-ons is no big deal.

"...and hit something that started opening a brazillion windows."
Next time don't go there? FYI Malwarebytes warns of infected IPs and halts access until you say otherwise, I tend to heed the warnings.

W2NAP
09-02-2009, 08:03 PM
reading this makes me glad i use linux

KG4CGC
09-02-2009, 08:04 PM
:lame:

WØTKX
09-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Perhaps this, maybe?

http://spillspace.com/2009/new-firefox-virus/

KJ3N
09-02-2009, 08:46 PM
reading this makes me glad i use linux

Reading this makes me glad I don't bother with torrent sites, or any peer-to-peer activity. :yes:

ad4mg
09-03-2009, 04:47 AM
Sounds like some type of malware, Rob. If you haven't already done so, download the free version of Malwarebytes, allow it to update, then do a full system scan.

Download Malwarebytes Free version on CNet (http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=malwarebytes&tag=srch&searchtype=downloads&filterName=platform%3DWindows&filter=platform%3DWindows)

If you're using the system restore, best to cut that off (this will delete all previous restore points), fix the problem(s), then re-enable it and set a new restore point. Many viruses will include copies of itself in the restore files.

Of course, a full system virus scan is in order as well.

Both scans are best done in safe mode, if possible, which will make removal of the nasties easier.

W4GPL
09-03-2009, 05:19 AM
How does Firefox behave in "Safe Mode" (not Windows safe mode)...

KG4CGC
09-03-2009, 05:32 AM
no toolbars or add ons which includes things like adblock

W4GPL
09-03-2009, 05:53 AM
no toolbars or add ons which includes things like adblockYeah, what I meant was.. does his problem still exist using that mode?

KG4CGC
09-03-2009, 06:09 AM
Oh. Sorry.
I would have to say that I'm 70% sure that it would still exist but I have nothing concrete to base that on.

N1LAF
09-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Sounds like some type of malware, Rob. If you haven't already done so, download the free version of Malwarebytes, allow it to update, then do a full system scan.

Download Malwarebytes Free version on CNet (http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=malwarebytes&tag=srch&searchtype=downloads&filterName=platform%3DWindows&filter=platform%3DWindows)

If you're using the system restore, best to cut that off (this will delete all previous restore points), fix the problem(s), then re-enable it and set a new restore point. Many viruses will include copies of itself in the restore files.

Of course, a full system virus scan is in order as well.

Both scans are best done in safe mode, if possible, which will make removal of the nasties easier.

I'll second this - my recommendation as well.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Had a similar thing happen last year, this program wiped out the problem completely where others failed.

n2ize
09-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Opera 10 is looking very good. Plus its written in Qt which makes it easier for me to debug if need be.

kf0rt
09-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Running the Malwarebytes scan now - thanks for the tip! I run the McAfee stuff in the background 100% of the time (it's "free" with my Comcast account, even though it's a total RAM hog).

Tried safe mode -- even with just about everything disabled, same problem, so Charles was right on that one.

Fortunately, I do all my bookmarks via the Google toolbar (love that, they're the same no matter where I am), so if the scan doesn't fix things, I'll probably try an uninstall / reinstall and see if that fixes things.

Thanks for all the hints -- I'll report back if I find anything.

kf0rt
09-04-2009, 05:22 PM
It's fixed. Had to uninstall using the "remove all personal info" option, then reinstall.

N1LAF
09-04-2009, 08:18 PM
It's fixed. Had to uninstall using the "remove all personal info" option, then reinstall.
Yeay!

Glad it wasn't a virus or spyware problem.

kf0rt
09-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Yeay!

Glad it wasn't a virus or spyware problem.

FWIW, the malwarebytes program found (and supposedly cured) 11 problems. Took about 2 hours to run on this box, but didn't cure the problem. It spent a lot of that time scanning my huge JPG photo archives. I suspect a registry glitch of some sort.

Now, I get to remember all those passwords I had stored. :rofl: