PDA

View Full Version : Meanwell Power supplies

W5BRM
08-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Has anyone ever tried this brand? I looked on Eham.net and there is only 1 entry made back in 2007. I see these on ebay and they have a good price but I can't find anyone who has actually used one. Here is thier website (http://www.meanwell.com) and here is an auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220411859643) on ebay.

Only one thing on the picture makes me wonder a bit. Notice the plug is only a 2 blade plug. No third prong for a ground at the outlet. I am not sure if that is standard for power supplies or not though.

Anyone ever tried?

kf0rt
08-27-2009, 09:00 PM
I've heard of the brand, but never used one... Seems like "Engrish" to me, but a quick check of the Mouser catalog suggests that they're above-board. Very large number of power products, and many of the "medical grade" variety.

Doesn't sound like a fly-by-night outfit.

W5BRM
08-27-2009, 10:11 PM
I've heard of the brand, but never used one... Seems like "Engrish" to me, but a quick check of the Mouser catalog suggests that they're above-board. Very large number of power products, and many of the "medical grade" variety.

Doesn't sound like a fly-by-night outfit.

OK Thanks. Yeah I think they are definitely an International company. I browsed through a bit of their website and a lot of the tech spec pages are either in Chinese or Japanese.

I was just wondering because the prices on the auction I see are extremely good for a brand new 20A power supply. Thats what caught my interest. I might try one when I get back to work and get some cash rolling in again.

Thanks for the reply

kf0rt
08-27-2009, 10:49 PM
I'd give it a shot... (but don't spend a lot)

Power supplies these days are a strange commodity. $2 toys come with $5 supplies, or so it seems. It's not hard to do DC power on the "cheap."

N8YX
09-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Meanwell supplies are widely used in industrial products, and I don't hear a lot of "bad" about them.

N7RJD
09-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Meanwell supplies are widely used in industrial products, and I don't hear a lot of "bad" about them.

Question would be is that because they hold up their end or is it because the brand on the piece of equipment is taking the heat for a failed supply?