PDA

View Full Version : Antenna Analyzer

N9MXX
08-23-2009, 12:53 PM
I am in the market for a decent Antenna Analyzer, and would like opinions on which one makes the most sense.

I don't want to spend a ton of money, but on the other hand I don't want to buy junk that won't serve my purposes either. I can't say I would be a heavy user of it, but I do like to tinker with antennas and my situation is that I don't live in a normal QTH, but rather one on wheels, so being compact and space conscious is always a concern. I would be using it mostly for the HF bands.

I have recently spoken with a couple people who own MFJ 259B's, and like them, but yet they both haven't used them more than occasionally.

Thoughts?

John

PA5COR
08-23-2009, 01:36 PM
I have the MFJ 269, 160M - 70 cm's

heavily used, home brew antenna's, baluns, LC circuits, even the old dipper works a lot.

If not by me, i lend them out all the time, club, other ham's

They do as advertised, save time, and give you direct view about how the antenna works at that time.

The 259 does fine, just no 70 Cm's if you don't need that.

N9MXX
08-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Cor,

Thanks for the info.

I was able to find a used one and put together a deal.

John

N8YX
08-24-2009, 09:13 PM
John,

I have a friend at work who owns a -259 which I occasionally borrow. It's a decent piece of equipment.

That said...I would really like a manufacturer to bring something out which covers 1-1000MHz continuously and has a vector plotting capability in addition to SWR/impedance displays...but so far, no one seems to be willing to market such an animal.

KU5Q
08-25-2009, 08:17 PM
I have the following;

* AEA Bravo; great build quality and very accurate for the price. More than necessary for ham radio.

* MFJ269PRO; typical clunky/junky MFJ build quality, but a great bargain for ham radio. Get the dip coils. Best for the money if you don't need "lab" accuracy.

* W5BIG/Array Solutions AIM4170; fabulous little piece of kit for the money. You need a PC to use it, but is extremely accurate, and does far more than I can list concisely here.

Good luck on your VIA choice!

W3VR