PDA

View Full Version : The Island needs our help! Please take a moment ...

ad4mg
08-13-2009, 07:07 AM
On January 19, 2007, the "Island of Misfit Hams" was born on a dare from a moderator on the "other" amateur radio site. At that time, it was never anticipated that the site would literally explode on the amateur radio scene as it has. We began by being hosted on the free phpBB server, which allowed only the most basic features of the software to be used.

Later that year, Tony, KR4UQ, graciously offered space on the server that hosts his company's web site. We remained there until Tony informed me that we should prepare for a move to another server, as he was looking forward to selling his business, and a well deserved retirement. This is when Jeff, W4GPL, and his company, "The Linux Technology Group", graciously offered to host the Island forums and our companion web site.

Now, reality of the severity of the global recession has hit close to home. Without going into the details, Jeff has notified me that his business is suffering from the same poor economic times that has affected many of us here, and he is asking the amateur radio sites he hosts for help offsetting the costs of running his servers. Yes, Jeff is currently hosting other amateur sites in addition to the Island, all previously at no cost to any of them.

We enjoy a very prolific group in regards to the amount of activity generated by a mere 400+ members, and we do use a significant amount of bandwidth. Jeff and I spent several hours yesterday discussing the realities of the matter, and have ruled out moving to one of the "el-cheapo" web hosting sites as a possibility. The number one issue that came up is in regards to having root access at the server level, which allows us to do many creative things not otherwise possible. As an example of the bandwidth used, consider just our "emoticons". Each and every time one of us makes a post or reply, all of them (nearly 100k) are displayed. Multiply that by the number of posts and replies made each day, and consider that this is only the little smilies we all enjoy. We have custom themes, huge PM mailboxes, and a vast readership, all requiring bandwidth.

Now, the Island needs our help to stay on the excellent server on which we reside, the server that allows us so many customizations, with no downtime logged from the day we arrived.

We are offering the following paypal link for those who wish to offer something to help offset the costs of hosting our forums. You do not have to be a member of paypal to use the service. I have investigated the service, and in a one time situation, the paypal system will allow you to use a credit card to make a donation, and when the transaction is complete, none of your account information is retained, unless you opt to join the service as a member. Here is the link for offering a contribution to help keep our forums running:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=7444970

It should open in a new tab or window, depending on your choice of browser.

Reaching the decision to make this request was difficult for all of us involved. We had always hoped that we could operate the site totally free for all of our members. Sadly, the current economic conditions have dictated otherwise.

In order to avoid the complications of having "groups", dividing our membership into "paying", and "non-paying" as is done on other sites, all donations will be anonymous as far as our staff and members are concerned. We understand that not everyone will be willing or able to make a contribution, and we accept that without question.

We have chosen to approach only the immediate need for assistance, but we will leave the link active for future donations. If the situation changes, we will notify everyone of those changes. We considered all sorts of solutions, including ad banners (ugh!), and have decided to table these until the situation demands their reconsideration.

Please consider what our forums mean to you as an individual, and act accordingly. If anyone wishes to offer any creative solutions for offsetting the costs associated with running the site, please offer them, all will be considered. Please do not use this thread as an opportunity to express what you believe is wrong or right with our forums. If you are compelled to do so, we invite you to start another thread elsewhere for such discussion. We are receptive to such opinion, but just not here. We wish to remain focused on this immediate need, and distractions of that sort aren't going to help us provide you these forums in which to share your opinions with others.

On behalf of the entire staff, allow me to thank each and every one of you for being a contributor to our forums and web site.

Thanks in advance to anyone who wishes to offer help in keeping our forums alive.

Respectfully offered on behalf of our entire staff.

Best 73,
Luke - ad4mg

WX7P
08-13-2009, 07:26 AM
What is reasonably needed to not bankrupt Jeff and keep the Island alive per month?

WØTKX
08-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Yea... how about a gas gauge or donations thermometer. So we know what's needed.
http://halfwaytoconcord.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/fundraising.jpg

I'd sell band candy for this place... :snicker:
http://www.better-fundraising-ideas.com/images/fundraising-candy-bars.jpg

ad4mg
08-13-2009, 07:59 AM
What is reasonably needed to not bankrupt Jeff and keep the Island alive per month?
A very valid question, Dave. I asked Jeff the same question yesterday. Matter of fact, it was my first in a series of many questions.

Lacking a detailed analysis to go from, and to retain solutions to the specific needs of our site, Jeff estimated hosting costs for a site such as this on a fast, reliable server would run approximately $30 per month. He offered this as a low end estimate based on our needs.

We're certainly not looking to profit in any manner, we only wish to keep the site going without placing the burden upon any one person.

Certainly, cheaper solutions are available ... I had researched this before we moved from Tony's server, and hosting is available for as little as $5 per month, but sacrifices would have to be made.

Please let me stress that we don't expect anyone to place additional burden upon themselves in order to make a contribution, and large contributions, while welcomed, are not expected.

If 30 or 40 of us offer $10 - $20 each, we will have covered our share of the expenses quite nicely for about a year. This is only my personal observation. We haven't set any particular goal, and will graciously accept whatever we get. Jeff has assured me that we are welcome to remain on his server for some time to come, irregardless of what we are able to contribute.

Since I volunteered to head up this effort, I will gladly address any reasonable questions or concerns. Just allow me the time to keep up ... you guys have me vastly outnumbered! :D

ad4mg
08-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Yea... how about a gas gauge or donations thermometer. So we know what's needed.
http://halfwaytoconcord.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/fundraising.jpg

:lol:

You're the man, Dave!

I will gladly provide updates on contributions received a little later. Like I mentioned in the post above, we were unable to come to terms on a specific goal other than to use a year to gauge what we believe will be necessary.

W1GUH
08-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Yes, please, Luke, give us an idea of what's needed. I'm more than happy and eager to help out.

[edit] Oh, well, it's already there. Thanks, Luke.

WØTKX
08-13-2009, 08:55 AM
I see a future in Merchandi$e... :lol:

W4GPL
08-13-2009, 08:57 AM
http://kevinrothermel.typepad.com/kevinrothermelcom/images/spaceballs_large_11.jpg

PA5COR
08-13-2009, 09:21 AM
No paypal.
Do you mind if i send a donation (cash) to an adress of your choice?

You can PM mee about that, have lotsa dollars extra here for good causes

Looks like this is one. :snicker:

N7YA
08-13-2009, 07:30 PM
I like this place...consider it done. I wish i could pay for the entire year, but i sent what i could. :agree:

WØTKX
08-13-2009, 08:46 PM
I have sent something special to support your cunning plan... :yes: :clap: :monkeydance: :clap:

n6hcm
08-14-2009, 02:34 AM
done ... and a recommendation: while i don't really love ads and all that crap, affiliate programs are a good way to augment the coffers without being intrusive. amazon pays its affiliates a percentage of what's ordered through that affiliate's links. last year without trying very hard i picked up a few hundred $$ this way. there's no cost to the affiliate--if nobody clicks then you get a percentage of nothing ...

http://affiliate-program.amazon.com/

rot
08-14-2009, 05:45 AM
No problem.
:cheers:
rot

KA5PIU
08-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Hello.

We should be covered for at least a year at this point.
Yes, the economy is on the rocks, but I will do what I can when I can.

KB3LAZ
08-14-2009, 12:41 PM
I can't do anything until the end of next month. :oops:

ad4mg
08-14-2009, 12:59 PM
There's no time limit, and there's certainly no pressure to make a contribution. I understand that we're doing very well, thanks to the generosity of our membership!

KB3LAZ
08-14-2009, 01:22 PM
There's no time limit, and there's certainly no pressure to make a contribution. I understand that we're doing very well, thanks to the generosity of our membership!

That is good to hear but you know me. Come the end of next month I will give what I can.

WØTKX
08-14-2009, 01:57 PM

Well duh, you only had to ask. :bbh:

kb2crk
08-14-2009, 02:14 PM
i may be one of those tightwad hams but this site is worth it.
sent a little just now...
keep up the great work.

N4VGB
08-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Come the end of next month I will give what I can.

I tried that line on my wife for years now, she's never accepted it once. :oops:

ki4itv
08-14-2009, 05:36 PM
You guys should probably put the sticky to this thread??

All I could do to help now is stop posting.
Maybe things will turn around soon. I'm busting my ass and yesterday I think I actually broke it.
Time for Doan's pills again.

WØTKX
08-14-2009, 06:04 PM
'Sallright Babalouie, I think we're over the hump now... :D

http://www.tvacres.com/images/west2_quick_draw_mcgraw_gun.jpg

Must have been El-Kabong to the rescue! You were expecting Huckleberry Hound? :rofl:

[youtube:8z6jq5in]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmemBa1HAzU[/youtube:8z6jq5in]

N4VGB
08-16-2009, 07:23 PM
You were expecting Huckleberry Hound? :rofl:

No, that dog won't hunt.

Never fear, the mouse will save the day! :dance: :clap:

N7RJD
08-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Come the end of next month I will give what I can.

I tried that line on my wife for years now, she's never accepted it once. :oops:

Mine just says "That soon?"

W4GPL
08-29-2009, 09:32 AM
I hope I managed to send thanks to everyone who contributed. My e-mail is scattered between two laptops right now, so I fear I may have missed one or two of you. If I did, please know I certainly didn't mean to ignore your contribution.

Thank you to everyone who gave! We certainly solidified things for quite some time to come.

w2amr
09-05-2009, 03:08 PM
You were expecting Huckleberry Hound? :rofl:

No, that dog won't hunt.

Never fear, the mouse will save the day! :dance: :clap:
You forgot to get one with Obama's face on it. You're slipping.

w2amr
09-05-2009, 03:11 PM
I hope I managed to send thanks to everyone who contributed. My e-mail is scattered between two laptops right now, so I fear I may have missed one or two of you. If I did, please know I certainly didn't mean to ignore your contribution.

Thank you to everyone who gave! We certainly solidified things for quite some time to come.
You're lucky I donated BEFORE I figured out how many parts I need for the Chevelle project. :lol:

W4GPL
09-05-2009, 05:30 PM
:lol: No refunds. ;)

WØTKX
09-05-2009, 06:04 PM
:lol: No refunds. ;)

However, derivatives based on toxic forum arguments are available... :neener:

KB2SFH
09-30-2009, 10:32 AM
On January 19, 2007, the "Island of Misfit Hams" was born on a dare from a moderator on the "other" amateur radio site. At that time, it was never anticipated that the site would literally explode on the amateur radio scene as it has. We began by being hosted on the free phpBB server, which allowed only the most basic features of the software to be used.

Later that year, Tony, KR4UQ, graciously offered space on the server that hosts his company's web site. We remained there until Tony informed me that we should prepare for a move to another server, as he was looking forward to selling his business, and a well deserved retirement. This is when Jeff, W4GPL, and his company, "The Linux Technology Group", graciously offered to host the Island forums and our companion web site.

Now, reality of the severity of the global recession has hit close to home. Without going into the details, Jeff has notified me that his business is suffering from the same poor economic times that has affected many of us here, and he is asking the amateur radio sites he hosts for help offsetting the costs of running his servers. Yes, Jeff is currently hosting other amateur sites in addition to the Island, all previously at no cost to any of them.

We enjoy a very prolific group in regards to the amount of activity generated by a mere 400+ members, and we do use a significant amount of bandwidth. Jeff and I spent several hours yesterday discussing the realities of the matter, and have ruled out moving to one of the "el-cheapo" web hosting sites as a possibility. The number one issue that came up is in regards to having root access at the server level, which allows us to do many creative things not otherwise possible. As an example of the bandwidth used, consider just our "emoticons". Each and every time one of us makes a post or reply, all of them (nearly 100k) are displayed. Multiply that by the number of posts and replies made each day, and consider that this is only the little smilies we all enjoy. We have custom themes, huge PM mailboxes, and a vast readership, all requiring bandwidth.

Now, the Island needs our help to stay on the excellent server on which we reside, the server that allows us so many customizations, with no downtime logged from the day we arrived.

We are offering the following paypal link for those who wish to offer something to help offset the costs of hosting our forums. You do not have to be a member of paypal to use the service. I have investigated the service, and in a one time situation, the paypal system will allow you to use a credit card to make a donation, and when the transaction is complete, none of your account information is retained, unless you opt to join the service as a member. Here is the link for offering a contribution to help keep our forums running:

It should open in a new tab or window, depending on your choice of browser.

Reaching the decision to make this request was difficult for all of us involved. We had always hoped that we could operate the site totally free for all of our members. Sadly, the current economic conditions have dictated otherwise.

In order to avoid the complications of having "groups", dividing our membership into "paying", and "non-paying" as is done on other sites, all donations will be anonymous as far as our staff and members are concerned. We understand that not everyone will be willing or able to make a contribution, and we accept that without question.

We have chosen to approach only the immediate need for assistance, but we will leave the link active for future donations. If the situation changes, we will notify everyone of those changes. We considered all sorts of solutions, including ad banners (ugh!), and have decided to table these until the situation demands their reconsideration.

Please consider what our forums mean to you as an individual, and act accordingly. If anyone wishes to offer any creative solutions for offsetting the costs associated with running the site, please offer them, all will be considered. Please do not use this thread as an opportunity to express what you believe is wrong or right with our forums. If you are compelled to do so, we invite you to start another thread elsewhere for such discussion. We are receptive to such opinion, but just not here. We wish to remain focused on this immediate need, and distractions of that sort aren't going to help us provide you these forums in which to share your opinions with others.

On behalf of the entire staff, allow me to thank each and every one of you for being a contributor to our forums and web site.

Thanks in advance to anyone who wishes to offer help in keeping our forums alive.

Respectfully offered on behalf of our entire staff.

Best 73,
Luke - ad4mg

Count me in. I'm only too happy to support such an outstanding site. I just cant do it at least for the next month though till I free up some expenses :pray

W4GPL
09-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Count me in. I'm only too happy to support such an outstanding site. I just cant do it at least for the next month though till I free up some expenses :prayWe had a great response, and we'll need help again in the future. So if things are tight for you, don't sweat it -- look for our next request, hopefully not for another year or so. :) But many thanks for the thought.

KB2SFH
10-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Count me in. I'm only too happy to support such an outstanding site. I just cant do it at least for the next month though till I free up some expenses :prayWe had a great response, and we'll need help again in the future. So if things are tight for you, don't sweat it -- look for our next request, hopefully not for another year or so. :) But many thanks for the thought.

Ok, You twisted my arm to wait for the next request :cheers:

N2NH
10-03-2009, 01:55 PM
It's always great to have choices and having the Island has changed the way Hams can post on the Internet. Glad to be of support. Now hopefully I can find another job. The recent month of bad health means it's unlikely that I can return to my old job nor that I will get a paycheck for the month of September either.

W4GPL
10-21-2009, 03:27 PM
I just want to thank everyone again, we had a couple more donations over the last few days. Everyone has been very helpful in making sure the server costs will be taken care of. :cheers: to everyone!

W3MIV
12-22-2009, 05:58 PM
After an interval testing whether or not I shall remain a resident of this tiny bit of cyberflotsam, I am moved by the John Donne's admonition that "no man is an island, entire of itself."

I have made my decision. Merry Christmas, little isle.

W4GPL
12-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks! A very unexpected donation during the holiday season. Merry Christmas.

kf0rt
12-22-2009, 08:20 PM
After an interval testing whether or not I shall remain a resident of this tiny bit of cyberflotsam, I am moved by the John Donne's admonition that "no man is an island, entire of itself."

We (okay, me) hope that you'll drop in regularly, Albi. You have been missed, and I had to use the dictionary three times today to decode your posts. I've missed that.

Hope your holidays are whatever you wish them to be.

w2amr
12-23-2009, 03:11 AM

Humbug

KG4CGC
12-23-2009, 03:31 AM

Humbug
Is humbug a Ladybug with a buzzing mouth instrument?

N1LAF
12-23-2009, 06:50 AM
I can both disagree with Albert on the issues, and still greatly appreciate his presence on this site. Like with others, my dictionary gets quite the work out, and my vocabulary increases. As far as I am concern, Albert is a valuable member of our community.

Merry Christmas, Albert!

W3MIV
12-23-2009, 07:00 AM

Humbug

TU, George. That's my kinda sentiment. :agree:

W3MIV
12-23-2009, 07:03 AM
I can both disagree with Albert on the issues, and still greatly appreciate his presence on this site. Like with others, my dictionary gets quite the work out, and my vocabulary increases. As far as I am concern, Albert is a valuable member of our community.

Merry Christmas, Albert!

Thank you. I am nothing if not benevolent to Island members with amusing political notions. It is part and parcel of the Liberal Credo to stretch kindness like a fresh condom.

N4VGB
12-24-2009, 11:47 AM

Humbug

Congrats George, payback feels good doesn't it. :lol:

w2amr
12-24-2009, 01:07 PM

Humbug

Congrats George, payback feels good doesn't it. :lol:
It's too cold to pee on his shoe.

WØTKX
12-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Think warm thoughts... :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HT-zk1mYDo

[youtube:cgnzw8ld]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HT-zk1mYDo[/youtube:cgnzw8ld]

W4GPL
03-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Had some unexpected server costs the last few days.. :)

If anyone is in the giving mood, this is a good month for it.

Thanks as always!

PA5COR
03-17-2010, 11:52 AM
K, will tell the wife to stop bitching and do the deed :rofl:

KG4CGC
03-17-2010, 12:00 PM
About the end of this month, I should see something from that interest free loan I gave the government last year.

w3bny
03-17-2010, 12:28 PM
I guess I could do the right thing and hoe myself out for cash and prizes :giggity:

KG4CGC
03-17-2010, 12:44 PM
I guess I could do the right thing and hoe myself out for cash and prizes :giggity:
To the point where a little flag comes out that says "bang" on it?

w3bny
03-17-2010, 12:52 PM
I am a bunneh you know. :geek

How does that family guy scene go...

Do you like cake?

[youtube:27n78t75]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_dCOuSpl34[/youtube:27n78t75]

W4GPL
03-17-2010, 06:39 PM
I had a couple of e-mails asking me what it costs to run this place...

And there's no simple answer to that. We could -- in theory -- run HamIsland for little or nothing a month. We've been down that road before though, not having access to our own server caused us a lot of problems and we were unable to monitor the ridiculous amount of attacks against the site. This method lets us directly monitor the network traffic that hits the server/website and firewall it accordingly without having to rely on morons who make $9 an hour at web hosting tech support.

So we opt to have HamIsland on a server that I pay for out of pocket. The server hosts my personal/business website, several ham radio net websites, and HamIsland -- as well as a few commercial sites, yet we still take a monthly loss.

This month we had $320 extra in service fees do to an incompetent technician who couldn't figure out how to flash a RAID controller (don't ask, I'm still too steamed)...

The fact of the matter is, this server would exist regardless if HamIsland was hosted there or not, but it never hurts to have those who benefit from it's existence to kick in if/when they can. This is not some grand money making scheme -- of that I can assure you. :)

Thanks to everyone!

KG4CGC
04-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Done.
Super Happy!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/SuperHappy.jpg

W4GPL
04-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks Barkeep! Those bar tips are adding up, eh? ;)

KG4CGC
04-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Wait, what? I get tips? Damn! Where's the tip jar? I bet it's full!

W4GPL
04-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Thanks Barkeep! Those bar tips are adding up, eh? ;)Wait, what? I get tips? Damn! Where's the tip jar? I bet it's full!Umm.. nevermind.

w2amr
04-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Ya want a tip barkeep? Ok, never look directly into the sun. :monkeydance:

KG4CGC
04-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Stick it in the jar.

w2amr
04-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Stick it in the jar.
That's the best proposal I've had in a month. :giggity: :mrgreen:

WN9HJW
05-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Post Deleted

N8YX
05-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Instead of renewing my subscription to QRZ which expires in a few days, I just PayPaled the same amount to HamIsland.

I've only been a member here about a week but already this is becoming my preferred ham forum. Keep up the good work.

And as always, we thanks ya...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2237/2099244728_f1d9aec50f.jpg?v=0

N4VGB
05-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Instead of renewing my subscription to QRZ which expires in a few days, I just PayPaled the same amount to HamIsland.

I've only been a member here about a week but already this is becoming my preferred ham forum. Keep up the good work.

Suck up.

W3MIV
05-02-2010, 03:38 PM
I just tickled the pig for another contribution. Keep it rolling, gents.

W4GPL
08-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Had some unexpected expenses come up related to the server(s) this weekend. Anyone who is in a position to do so and would like to, please feel free to ring that bell. :)

As always, a big thank you to everyone who contributes!

KG4CGC
08-01-2010, 01:06 PM
It is that time of year again. IOMHFD: Island Of Misfit Hams Fund Drive. I expect to see Jerry Lewis on TV soon as well.

WØTKX
08-01-2010, 01:43 PM
We could come up with ideas for funding. Really funny swag has been done to death, but it might help.

May I suggest an official Islander Vest, just "logo-fy" a nerdy vest like this? (http://www.majorsurplus.com/Travelers-Vest-P15627C2038.aspx)

Get Albert and other "artsy types" to come up with design stuff? I'd love to help with the graphic toys I have here, but they are more for animations...
Charles has madd PhotoShop/Gimp skilzz.

Callsign Embroidered Alpha Hotel Undies? (http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/duluth-ingenuity/buck-naked-underwear/buck-naked-underwear.aspx)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp3vLTmretk

I would proudly wear both, at hamfests. :mrgreen:

Podcasts, media? Remote RX/TX hosting and management? A cheaper, better CQ100?
There's a lot of VOIP power available, right now.. :dunno:

There is, of course, b00bies! :mrgreen:

Yes, I sold band candy... :wall:

KG4CGC
08-01-2010, 01:44 PM
QRZ has (or had) a ladies thong.
How about a IOMH banana hammock?

WØTKX
08-01-2010, 01:58 PM
OOOOhhhh, bananas! :drool:

PA5COR
08-01-2010, 02:12 PM
HamIsland Server & Software Costs$25,00$25,00

Betaalmethode:
betaalmethodeCreditcard : MasterCard XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-6064€19,70 EUR

Bevestigingsnummer: 0VD284029H599763U

Done

NA4BH
08-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Done.......... Hope this helps.

W3WN
08-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Dan KB3HVN does nice work. And it wouldn't be hard to come up with an appropriate logo, to wit:3153

Wouldn't be hard at all to change the wording.

If the group likes the idea, just let me know...

N8YX
08-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Dan KB3HVN does nice work. And it wouldn't be hard to come up with an appropriate logo, to wit:3153

Wouldn't be hard at all to change the wording.

If the group likes the idea, just let me know...
That would be uber-cool.

K7SGJ
08-01-2010, 07:17 PM
I like it!

W4GPL
08-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks guys! We just about covered the expenses incurred over the weekend, you all always pull thru! I'm going address everyone who chipped in personally, but until I have a chance, just wanted to express my immediate appreciation.

Edit: As for the TV shirt idea, might not be a bad way to go, we'll mull it over. :)

PA5COR
08-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Just pay the rent, nothing more to it really...

W4RLR
08-05-2010, 10:16 PM
I sent in another donation, keep it in the kitty for future emergencies.

KA5PIU
08-16-2010, 02:08 AM
Hello.

We should be covered for at least a year at this point.
Yes, the economy is on the rocks, but I will do what I can when I can.

Hello.

My annual $50 is in.
To Jeff at LTG.

Thank you.

KC2UGV
08-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks guys! We just about covered the expenses incurred over the weekend, you all always pull thru! I'm going address everyone who chipped in personally, but until I have a chance, just wanted to express my immediate appreciation.

Edit: As for the TV shirt idea, might not be a bad way to go, we'll mull it over. :)

Should be pretty easy (Minimal investment, minimal return however) if you go through something like Cafepress.com

W4GPL
09-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Should be pretty easy (Minimal investment, minimal return however) if you go through something like Cafepress.comYeah, that's more or less the way I'd go. We have a web design company making up a new logo for us as we speak, as soon as that's done and I have something high res to work with, I'll see about making up a couple of t-shirts, mugs, and bumper stickers via them or one of their many competitors.

And if I haven't replied to you personally just yet, thanks again to all -- I'm woefully behind on e-mails.

W4GPL
10-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Unfortunately, we had some unexpected hardware costs today -- *turns pockets inside out* :) Didn't break the bank, but anyone who was thinking of donating, now isn't the worst time.

As always, thanks for the support!

NQ6U
10-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Done and done, Jeff. Glad I was able to help out this time around.

W4GPL
11-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks Carl!

NQ6U
11-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Thanks Carl!

My pleasure--truthfully. I wish I could have sent more but times are tough here.

W4GPL
11-01-2010, 03:47 PM
I hear ya.

W4GPL
11-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks to everyone who recently make a couple of contributions, very cool of you all.

W4GPL
12-29-2010, 04:31 PM
We had a couple of Island Santas who helped contribute over the holidays, thanks again -- especially considering so many people are crunched this time of year.

KG4CGC
12-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Is the PP account and addy in the first post still valid?

W4GPL
12-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Is the PP account and addy in the first post still valid?Yup.

W4GPL
12-31-2010, 07:44 PM
Here it is: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=7444970

Just so no one has to go digging for it.

W4GPL
01-14-2011, 09:59 PM
A bit of a status update...

We're in the process of moving the two servers HamIsland work off of, which will put us at about 1/4 of current cost. Sometime in mid-Feb, I'll be installing those servers, which will likely mean a bit of downtime -- probably a full day. I'll update everyone as the time nears.

Thank you for everyone's support.

ki4itv
01-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Thank you for your tireless efforts in making hamisland a home.

PA5COR
01-15-2011, 12:05 PM
^What he said x 2.
;)

NQ6U
01-15-2011, 02:43 PM
^What he said x 2.
;)

Fuckin' A.

W4GPL
01-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Woohoo, new servers ordered. Still no install date though.

WØTKX
01-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Fuckin' A.

'eff a Q, it's got a tail. :mrgreen:

W4GPL
03-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Just another quick update -- we have the new server installed at the new location, but unfortunately haven't had a chance to migrate everything. I expect to do it next weekend (April 2nd) so there will be probably about 6 hours of downtime while we transfer all the settings/databases/etc.

WØTKX
03-27-2011, 11:21 AM
OMG, we're all gonna suffer the shakes...

NQ6U
03-27-2011, 11:28 AM
SIX HOURS?? I dunno if I can take it, man!

ki4itv
03-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Damn, that means I'll have to get on the radio. :doh:

VE7DCW
03-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Just another quick update -- we have the new server installed at the new location, but unfortunately haven't had a chance to migrate everything. I expect to do it next weekend (April 2nd) so there will be probably about 6 hours of downtime while we transfer all the settings/databases/etc.

A chance to show up QRZ in their pitiful attempt at server management....... this will be nice! :-D

NA4BH
03-27-2011, 10:54 PM

OK, we need a cellphone number so we can still text. :rofl: :rofl:

Best of luck with the change

W4GPL
03-30-2011, 07:41 AM
Unfortunately, yet another delay on getting the new server up and running.. The old one will remain online, obviously. I'll update you all as soon as I know more. :(

NQ6U
03-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Unfortunately, yet another delay on getting the new server up and running.. The old one will remain online, obviously. I'll update you all as soon as I know more. :(

Damn IT department. Probably playing WoW again...

W4GPL
03-30-2011, 11:25 AM
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/104291/living-to-win

NQ6U
03-30-2011, 12:22 PM
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/104291/living-to-win

So, that's your IT department, then? ;)

W5RB
03-30-2011, 02:23 PM
So, that's your IT department, then? ;)

http://files.myopera.com/Aleksander/posts/south_park_wow_computer_lab1.jpg

W4GPL
04-08-2011, 08:00 AM
I don't know that we're in that good of shape. ;)

FYI everyone.. I added an easy access 'donation' button at the bottom of every page. Easier than sifting through the thread looking for a link. Thanks everyone!

W4GPL
11-08-2011, 04:59 PM
The Island's budget is tight this month. Now is an excellent time to increase the coffers.. *hint, nudge* ;)

Everyone is always awesome, we're not in a crisis, but things remain expensive without much relief.

W4GPL
11-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks to those of you who sent in contributions in the last couple of days, I promise to address you personally, I just haven't had a free moment to do so. It's much appreciated. We were able to cover this month's expenses thanks to your generosity.

W4GPL
11-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Again, we've had some contributions come in that I haven't been able to acknowledge -- I'll get to you ASAP! Thank you all!

https://forums.hamisland.net/paypal

N8YX
11-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Done.

I have some Kenwood parts/donor rigs here which would make for a good source of components for someone, or they could be repaired. These may go up for Island auction in the Swap Meet area and the proceeds raised (minus shipping costs) used to fund the joint.

XE1/N5AL
11-27-2012, 12:57 AM
I realize that I'm commenting on a three year old posting, but how did you band guys get to sell candy? I mean, that's something that people would actually buy! We in the orchestra were always stuck with selling fruitcake that was excessively laced with preservatives.

PA5COR
11-27-2012, 04:04 AM
After paying the bills these month i'll see what i can do ..

KB3LAZ
11-28-2012, 07:50 AM
I realize that I'm commenting on a three year old posting, but how did you band guys get to sell candy? I mean, that's something that people would actually buy! We in the orchestra were always stuck with selling fruitcake that was excessively laced with preservatives.

Fruit cakes work well in place of the rubber blocks used to clean a sander. They also work well as bricks, doorstops, and much more. I think that my family has regifted the same fruit cake for 20 years or so as a running gag.

W4GPL
12-11-2012, 03:43 PM
We want to upgrade to vBulletin 5 - lots of neat new features.. contributions needed. :)

NQ6U
12-11-2012, 03:44 PM
We want to upgrade to vBulletin 5 - lots of neat new features.. contributions needed. :)

I'll get on PayPay as soon as I get home.