PDA

View Full Version : Latest project

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

N4VGB
11-01-2009, 09:56 AM
WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT???

You didn't know that Jerry/N9XR was a very sensitive person???

N4VGB
11-01-2009, 10:01 AM
I never was a big QJ fan. It's really just the looks of the QJ that don't appeal to me, I've known lots of guys who knew how to properly tune the QJ and made them work great on street rods. I like the looks of the Holley and it's the only one that I know how to tweak well. Getting the correct cams on the accelerator pumps was the only thing that ever gave me any problem on a Holley, it can be a little tricky at times with certain combos.

On a strictly street rod, I like to get that instant throttle response. :dance:

Still eating the popcorn, waiting for those new pics with the engine installed! :popcorn:
They can seem mysterious if you aren't really familiar with them, but they out-mileage the Holley a bunch.

I never really had much of a chance to become familiar with the QJ, I knew the old Holley lineup like the back of my hand and could get along with the old Carter AFB series fairly well. I never owned anything with a QJ.

N8YX
11-01-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm a Weber Guy... but I prefer injection...
Here ya go:

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/edl-35070_w.jpg

From what I understand, that system supports direct hookup of a nitrous bopple... :lol:

X-Rated
11-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Here ya go:

From what I understand, that system supports direct hookup of a nitrous bopple... :lol:
Looks like you left it on the ground, but with Dilmus standing right there, I ain't picking it up.

N4VGB
11-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Here ya go:

I know a couple of locals using the Edelbrock Pro-Flo on street rods, both are happy campers.

N4VGB
11-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Looks like you left it on the ground, but with Dilmus standing right there, I ain't picking it up.

You're safe Jerry, unless you look like the pic below???

X-Rated
11-01-2009, 12:07 PM
I thought I was looking into a mirror. Looks just like me, but I don't have that huge gut.

N4VGB
11-01-2009, 12:54 PM
I thought I was looking into a mirror. Looks just like me, but I don't have that huge gut.

OK Jerry, you were correct, you should definitely not bend over around me! :rofl:

X-Rated
11-01-2009, 05:19 PM

OK Jerry, you were correct, you should definitely not bend over around me! :rofl:
Parents should keep their children away from you, no doubt.

N4VGB
11-01-2009, 09:18 PM
[quote="X-Rated":1m76ygip]I thought I was looking into a mirror. Looks just like me, but I don't have that huge gut.

Parents should keep their children away from you, no doubt.[/quote:1m76ygip]

Only if their children look like the pom pom girl in the pic. :lol:

w2amr
11-03-2009, 04:00 PM
While brousing the tube I noticed this. A 6 second 200 mph 55 Chevy. WTF? :shock: :shock: :shock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iavfjvMjnwY&NR=1

N4VGB
11-03-2009, 04:59 PM
While brousing the tube I noticed this. A 6 second 200 mph 55 Chevy. WTF? :shock: :shock: :shock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iavfjvMjnwY&NR=1

Pro Street classes are WILD. NHRA tried to slow down the AA/F classes by making them run a lower percentage of nitro, they responded by dialing in more fuel and blower boost, so NHRA regulated the blower drive ratio and cut 320 feet off the 1/4 mile run and they only race 1000 feet now in AA/F. Made it a lot safer and still fun to watch.

Nobody seems to be paying much attention to the lower classes, they just keep getting faster and faster. That Pro Street bunch is a hoot to watch, some of the strangest combos you've ever seen and very fast. :shock:

w2amr
11-04-2009, 04:22 AM
I talked to the engine builder yesterday, He opened up the 350 and everything looks good. The cylinders have never been re bored ,so 30 over will be no problem. :dance

N4VGB
11-04-2009, 07:45 PM
I talked to the engine builder yesterday, He opened up the 350 and everything looks good. The cylinders have never been re bored ,so 30 over will be no problem. :dance

I presumed all would be well inside, being owned and maintained by you OM. :clap:

w2amr
11-06-2009, 03:38 AM
I watch this dumb show every night. Am I the only one?
[youtube:1py0q1cf]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x68ZHe0hM4[/youtube:1py0q1cf]

KG4CGC
11-06-2009, 03:54 AM
[youtube:jht756x9]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x68ZHe0hM4[/youtube:jht756x9]
Remember to spay and neuter your pets.

w2amr
11-06-2009, 05:14 AM
[youtube:1i0bhftf]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x68ZHe0hM4[/youtube:1i0bhftf]
Remember to spay and neuter your pets.
Not a clue, Unless it's some Bob Barker price is right thing.

KG4CGC
11-06-2009, 05:18 AM
It's a game show dude! Do you watch Peyton Place too? LOL!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyton_Place_%28TV_series%29

KG4CGC
11-06-2009, 05:20 AM
3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

I kid I kid. :lol:

w2amr
11-06-2009, 05:39 AM
Oh brother. :roll:

N4VGB
11-06-2009, 11:37 AM

I watch it occasionally. What really throws you off on the times is mostly the drivers. I've seen cars capable of much faster times run on that show and turn in surprisingly slow times compared to the cars capability.

Unless the show offers the owner/drivers a really fat payoff for breaking or wrecking it, I doubt very many run their cars as hard as possible.

W5GA
11-06-2009, 01:10 PM
That and Pinks....wouldn't miss 'em. Got to see Rich Christensen here in Tulsa a couple weeks ago at an Arm Drop Live event.....same as Pinks without the cameras or prize money. It was lots of fun, and I'd have loved to have competed, but a stock LT-1 wouldn't cut it.

N4VGB
11-06-2009, 02:11 PM
but a stock LT-1 wouldn't cut it.

Fun piece on the street though. :oops: :shifty

W5GA
11-06-2009, 02:30 PM

Absolutely. Amazing thing...the XYL says it's not fast enough. WOOHOO! :dance: :dance

N4VGB
11-06-2009, 02:51 PM

Absolutely. Amazing thing...the XYL says it's not fast enough. WOOHOO! :dance: :dance

Talk about a great wife! And an open door invitation to pep that LT-1 up a little. My XYL likes a vehicle with a little go to it, but not a real performance engine. :(

w2amr
11-06-2009, 03:20 PM
That and Pinks....wouldn't miss 'em. Got to see Rich Christensen here in Tulsa a couple weeks ago at an Arm Drop Live event
My favorite episode was when the dumb ass dropped that sport bike showing off.
:lol:

w2amr
11-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Watch out for those backfires dude. Ouch!
[youtube:14jea6aw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGcIJWnClz4[/youtube:14jea6aw]

N4VGB
11-06-2009, 04:06 PM
That and Pinks....wouldn't miss 'em. Got to see Rich Christensen here in Tulsa a couple weeks ago at an Arm Drop Live event

I saw that episode, OUCH! He looked far more embarrassed than injured. :lol:

KG4CGC
11-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Holy Fuuuuuuuu!

W5GA
11-06-2009, 04:08 PM
How'd I miss that? Which show?

N4VGB
11-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Watch out for those backfires dude. Ouch!

The popoff valve didn't work so well on that setup! :shock:

The guy is lucky it didn't take his head off!

W5GA
11-06-2009, 04:11 PM

Saw Shirley Mudowney do that once when she was still driving funnies. Blower must have gone 100' straight up.

N4VGB
11-06-2009, 04:12 PM

2 or 3 years back, it's on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmjCEPF4HGo

enjoy :D

N4VGB
11-06-2009, 04:15 PM

Saw Shirley Mudowney do that once when she was still driving funnies. Blower must have gone 100' straight up.

Those blown fuel cars were dangerous creatures back then. The new safety straps and now the replacement of the old popoff valves with blow out panels have tamed down the blower explosions to being manageable now.

They do still blow the whole body off the funny cars sometimes and the drivers of those beasts say a blower explosion still hurts inside the car.

W5GA
11-06-2009, 04:16 PM
What a hoot! That's Rich Christenson dumping the bike.

N4VGB
11-06-2009, 04:18 PM

He was very embarrassed, "Is it fast" he asked. :rofl:

Yeah Rich, it's too fast for you! :rofl:

w2amr
11-06-2009, 04:38 PM

2 or 3 years back, it's on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmjCEPF4HGo

enjoy :DI think it was the episode with the black or green 65 chevelle against the white corvette.

N4VGB
11-06-2009, 04:46 PM
You guys did know that "Pinks" host Rich Christensen is also now hosting an alien being inside his body!? :shock: :yes:

You can see his infection start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOII_Vsl5DA

I have no personal opinion on exactly what the mysterious things, commonly called rods, that are seen on both still and video shots might be, but I'm doubting alien origin. :D

N8YX
11-06-2009, 06:08 PM
My touring rig is very close in appearance to the one shown here; a bit more chrome, a trunk rack and other creature comforts have been added. It's also significantly more powerful from 1500-5000RPM than the stocker and will easily spin the back tire on dry pavement under hard acceleration:

http://www.hondamotorcycles-usedmotorcycles.com/images/houston-interstate-rightside-1.jpg

It was 28 degrees out this morning when I fired up and rode to work. Was into black ice on several of the ramps and overpasses, yet still managed to avoid getting the bike squirrelly. Cars weren't as lucky; there were wrecks in the area.

You ride on ice like you fly a B-52 with the "stick" (no autopilot), and you do both like you're miking the mouse:

Gently, or she'll get away from you.

Christenson needs to go take the MSF's Basic Rider Course and subsequently unlearn the ID10T Method of riding. Any fool can dump a sportbike, and I do mean any fool.

W5GA
11-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Any fool can dump a sportbike, and I do mean any fool.
In my limited experience, when treated with the proper respect the sport bikes are the easiest of all to ride.

N8YX
11-06-2009, 11:47 PM
In my limited experience, when treated with the proper respect the sport bikes are the easiest of all to ride.
This is correct, especially in the braking department.

w2amr
11-07-2009, 03:06 AM
You guys did know that "Pinks" host Rich Christensen is also now hosting an alien being inside his body!? :shock: :yes:

You can see his infection start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOII_Vsl5DA

I have no personal opinion on exactly what the mysterious things, commonly called rods, that are seen on both still and video shots might be, but I'm doubting alien origin. :DI knew something was wrong with that guy.
:snicker:

w2amr
11-07-2009, 03:18 AM
I have decided to stay with the stock cast iron intake manifold. Summet sells a remanufactured 750 Q-jet for about $300, which should do the job. :agree:

W5GA
11-07-2009, 08:11 AM
I have decided to stay with the stock cast iron intake manifold. Summet sells a remanufactured 750 Q-jet for about $300, which should do the job. :agree:
:agree: That'll get the job done. In fact, it oughta run like a raped ape.

w2amr
11-07-2009, 11:43 AM
:agree: That'll get the job done. In fact, it oughta run like a raped ape.And I should get decent mileage as long as I keep my foot away from the firewall.

N4VGB
11-07-2009, 05:43 PM
:agree: That'll get the job done. In fact, it oughta run like a raped ape.And I should get decent mileage as long as I keep my foot away from the firewall.

Yep, those tiny primaries of the QJ should provide economy and quick throttle reponse.

Those secondaries don't look so good for mileage though. :mrgreen:

w2amr
11-08-2009, 03:12 AM

Yep, those tiny primaries of the QJ should provide economy and quick throttle reponse.

Those secondaries don't look so good for mileage though. :mrgreen:No, but they will make AMR smile. :dance

N4VGB
11-09-2009, 02:06 PM
No, but they will make AMR smile. :dance

But.....but...... you'll be wasting a valuable natural resource and making a large contribution to air pollution. Shame on George.

:sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

W5GA
11-09-2009, 02:08 PM

But.....but...... you'll be wasting a valuable natural resource and making a large contribution to air pollution. Shame on George.

That does it....it's gotta be alcohol now!!!

N4VGB
11-09-2009, 07:17 PM

Shame on you Doug, everyone knows that gasoline is for the street, alcohol is for drinking and nitro is for racing. :dance

W5GA
11-09-2009, 10:32 PM

Shame on you Doug, everyone knows that gasoline is for the street, alcohol is for drinking and nitro is for racing. :dance
OK Mack, that would be methanol, not ethanol. God forbid we should burn good corn likker. :cheers:

w2amr
11-10-2009, 03:26 AM
I stopped at our local transmission shop yesterday. $650 for a rebuild. :agree:

W5GA
11-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Is that a 350 or a 400?

w2amr
11-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Is that a 350 or a 400?350

w2amr
11-12-2009, 04:07 AM
I just got the new chrome master cylinder from Ground Up Restorations and test fitted it to the new booster. Bling factor 9 Mr. Sulu. :dance:
http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/88780/20091112/005540.jpg

W5GA
11-12-2009, 09:23 AM
I just got the new chrome master cylinder from Ground Up Restorations and test fitted it to the new booster. Bling factor 9 Mr. Sulu. :dance:

That's puurrrttty!

KG4CGC
11-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Whoa! Big fat juicy!

w2amr
11-13-2009, 03:37 AM
More sh*t to deal with. With The engine, trans, and 3K stall torque converter I plan to use, I need at least a 3.30 rear end gear. I found the code stamped on the right side axel tube. The KD prefix means it's a
2.73 ~ 12-bolt (L48/350-4) Way too high, and it's not a posi.
:wall: I have to change the ring and pinion, and get a posi unit. I'll probably go with a 3.70 gear. Plenty of grunt, but I can still drive the car @ 50 mph without the engine screaming.

N4VGB
11-13-2009, 09:14 AM
I'll probably go with a 3.70 gear. Plenty of grunt, but I can still drive the car @ 50 mph without the engine screaming.

Good choice George, the 3.73 gear set was and still is very popular on street rods. You might want to check on prices and availabilty of a junk yard GM locker unit from a truck? I'm thinking a posi unit is going to be expensive compared to a more modern locker unit? The modern lockers still do the old clink and pop every now and then, but not nearly as much as the old style Detroit locker did.

The locker units save you on fuel mileage because they're just like an open differential most of the time and only operate when engaged, while the posi units are constantly in friction anytime one tire is covering a longer path than the other one and hurt fuel mileage.

The only real downside to the lockers is that you need to be careful on wet streets, a little too much throttle during a turn and one tire slips and that locker engages suddenly, making you lose the rear end of the car quickly. :shock:

W5GA
11-13-2009, 09:33 AM
More sh*t to deal with. With The engine, trans, and 3K stall torque converter I plan to use, I need at least a 3.30 rear end gear. I found the code stamped on the right side axel tube. The KD prefix means it's a
:wall: I have to change the ring and pinion, and get a posi unit. I'll probably go with a 3.70 gear. Plenty of grunt, but I can still drive the car @ 50 mph without the engine screaming.
At least it's a 12 bolt. For years now, GM has been putting 10 bolts in all the performance cars. Think they have a fairly high warranty repair rate? My LT-1 is a 3.55 10 bolt, combined with a 6 speed. I don't beat on it.

N4VGB
11-13-2009, 10:06 AM
At least it's a 12 bolt. For years now, GM has been putting 10 bolts in all the performance cars. Think they have a fairly high warranty repair rate? My LT-1 is a 3.55 10 bolt, combined with a 6 speed. I don't beat on it.

Go ahead and "beat on it" Doug (if you desire), it's very unlikely that with the stock LT-1 engine option you could damage the 10 bolt differential. It's a lot tougher than most give it credit for being.

Many of the 'stock' classes at the drag strip were forbidden from swapping rear ends and still running their cars under the 'stock' class. I know guys who have launched stock class GM cars with 10 bolt rear ends and the front end way up in the air for years. Admittedly axles are a different story, all run aftermarket axles.

N4VGB
11-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Hey George, have you lost anything? I can't even sit on the balcony and have a snack here in PCB, FL without these guys showing up and insisting they dine with me. Very rude and almost tame, they'll sit on your finger and eat from your hand.

KG4CGC
11-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Dude! Don't touch those! They'll give you, the AIDS!

W5GA
11-13-2009, 10:53 AM
At least it's a 12 bolt. For years now, GM has been putting 10 bolts in all the performance cars. Think they have a fairly high warranty repair rate? My LT-1 is a 3.55 10 bolt, combined with a 6 speed. I don't beat on it

Go ahead and "beat on it" Doug (if you desire), it's very unlikely that with the stock LT-1 engine option you could damage the 10 bolt differential. It's a lot tougher than most give it credit for being.

Many of the 'stock' classes at the drag strip were forbidden from swapping rear ends and still running their cars under the 'stock' class. I know guys who have launched stock class GM cars with 10 bolt rear ends and the front end way up in the air for years. Admittedly axles are a different story, all run aftermarket axles.
I appreciate the thoughts, Mack. But, I think you'll find that most of the guys running 10 bolts that live are automatic cars, in which case, yes you can beat on them a bit. Add a clutch, or a trans brake and it becomes a grenade waiting for a place to happen even with stock LT-1's. One thing most folks don't know is that there are 2 different sizes of ring gear for a 10 bolt. The ones used today are all 7.5"/7.625". In the past, GM also made a 8.5" ring gear version 10 bolt, and that is the one up to some abuse. Not to the level of a 12 bolt, but in a light car they seem to do pretty good. One of the problems of the F-body is it's in no way light even when you put one on a diet. I think the lightest I've heard of is about 3000lbs., and that's the guys running low 9's.

If you visit sites like http://www.ls1tech.com you'll find the stories of 10 bolt failure are legion, even in stockers like mine. I'm saving my sheckels for a 9" Ford.

N4VGB
11-13-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm saving my sheckels for a 9" Ford.

The 9" Ford IS the standard hot rod rear end these days. All these hot rods that I'm looking at every day and probably 90% of them are using the 9" Ford. That has become what I most hold against it, it the standard now, common.

I've got one of the old style Halibrand quick change rear ends on the shelf that I've been saving for some future project for 25 years now, it'll probably be laying on that shelf the day I die. :roll:

Moser Engineering has kept the 12 bolt GM alive for those who love it, if not for them most of the GM guys would have been forced over to the 9" Ford probably.

Back to the car show! :dance

w2amr
11-13-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm saving my sheckels for a 9" Ford.

The 9" Ford IS the standard hot rod rear end these days. All these hot rods that I'm looking at every day and probably 90% of them are using the 9" Ford. That has become what I most hold against it, it the standard now, common.

I've got one of the old style Halibrand quick change rear ends on the shelf that I've been saving for some future project for 25 years now, it'll probably be laying on that shelf the day I die. :roll:

I remember those. My uncle ran them in his stock cars back in the 60's.

w2amr
11-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Hey George, have you lost anything? I can't even sit on the balcony and have a snack here in PCB, FL without these guys showing up and insisting they dine with me. Very rude and almost tame, they'll sit on your finger and eat from your hand.They look like Yankee pigeons. Probably moved down there to retire from New Yowk.

W5GA
11-13-2009, 04:08 PM
If I'm not mistaken, that's the one that would expire when going across RR tracks with power applied. :shhh

w2amr
11-13-2009, 04:35 PM
If I'm not mistaken, that's the one that would expire when going across RR tracks with power applied. :shhh He ran it in a 37 Ford sedan with an old Y block V8 on alcohol. 1/2 mile dirt and ashphalt tracks. I don't ever remember it breaking.

N4VGB
11-13-2009, 05:04 PM
If I'm not mistaken, that's the one that would expire when going across RR tracks with power applied. :shhh

:lol: That's a good way to break most old rear ends! :lol:

I've got confidence on this one, it came out of an old '30 something drag race car that ran an old 392 cube Chrysler hemi at our local drag strip for years, very fast car. The car crashed and didn't survive, the driver barely did. I bought the pile of junk cheap and made a good profit selling the engine, trans and a few other parts off it.

w2amr
11-13-2009, 05:31 PM

:lol: That's a good way to break most old rear ends! :lol:

I've got confidence on this one, it came out of an old '30 something drag race car that ran an old 392 cube Chrysler hemi at our local drag strip for years, very fast car. The car crashed and didn't survive, the driver barely did. I bought the pile of junk cheap and made a good profit selling the engine, trans and a few other parts off it.E-Pay, you'll get a billion dollars for it.

N4VGB
11-13-2009, 09:00 PM
E-Pay, you'll get a billion dollars for it.

Another guy told me that? :chin:

I can't imagine why, but apparently the old Halibrand is a very much sought after item? :chin:

Franklin and Winters still make the QC design and both are supposedly stronger than the old Halibrand. Must be like the Collins radio thing. :lol:

w2amr
11-15-2009, 03:39 AM
Wow, I'm getting quite an education on torque converters. I'm going to get it from a company called ATI. I have to give them the weight of the car, engine size, Camshaft lift and duration, Rear end gear ratio, and tire height. Then they will recommend the most efficient converter to use.

W5GA
11-15-2009, 07:29 AM
ATI has a pretty good rep on the hot rod forums, along with a couple others. I was surprised that not many have good things to say about B&M, TCI etc. for either their converters or transmissions.

N4VGB
11-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Wow, I'm getting quite an education on torque converters. I'm going to get it from a company called ATI. I have to give them the weight of the car, engine size, Camshaft lift and duration, Rear end gear ratio, and tire height. Then they will recommend the most efficient converter to use.

That's very good George, there has been quite a bit of talk here among rod builders about how clients will absolutely insist on using certain parts that are completely incorrect for the combination of parts used on their rod build, then blame the builder afterwards for the poor results. :yes:

w2amr
11-15-2009, 08:25 AM
ATI has a pretty good rep on the hot rod forums, along with a couple others. I was surprised that not many have good things to say about B&M, TCI etc. for either their converters or transmissions.I was surprised, the guy at the transmission shop told me never to use a B&M torque converter, He said they are junk.

w2amr
11-15-2009, 08:27 AM

That's very good George, there has been quite a bit of talk here among rod builders about how clients will absolutely insist on using certain parts that are completely incorrect for the combination of parts used on their rod build, then blame the builder afterwards for the poor results. :yes:
It's always best to follow the advise of the pros.

N4VGB
11-15-2009, 08:39 AM
So I'm wondering what the heck has gone wrong at B&M, once considered the premiere auto trans shop???

I have seen a lot of part boxes at this event marked "Made in China"! :sick

W5GA
11-15-2009, 09:10 AM
So I'm wondering what the heck has gone wrong at B&M, once considered the premiere auto trans shop???

Take a look at ePay and see all the Chinese stainless headers for sale at bargain basement prices. There's also a company selling aftermarket aluminum heads made there now, and posting some pretty good flow numbers for them. Not AFR's by any stretch, but not bad either.

https://www.patriot-performance.com/

N4VGB
11-15-2009, 09:46 AM

Take a look at ePay and see all the Chinese stainless headers for sale at bargain basement prices. There's also a company selling aftermarket aluminum heads made there now, and posting some pretty good flow numbers for them. Not AFR's by any stretch, but not bad either.

You could easily buy a set of AFRs and ship them to China, they'll quote you on cloning them in any quantity desired. That IS their SOP for breaking into any market in the world. :yes:

Not really big on innovation/design/engineering but excellent on 'monkey see, monkey do' type work. :yes:

Patent infringement??? What's dat??? :rofl:

w2amr
11-17-2009, 05:53 AM
I talked to the engine builder yesterday. I wanted to know the lift and duration of the cam we were going to use, so I could order a torque converter from ATI. He told me not to waste my money. He deals with a company called Pat's which is just outside Philly, who makes converters that are as good as anybody else at a much cheaper price. I called the guy and gave him all the particulars on the car, and he said he could build me a 3K stall converter that will handle 400 HP for $295. About half the price of an ATI converter. Maybe I can afford that chrome water pump now. :dance

ad4mg
11-17-2009, 08:21 AM
I talked to the engine builder yesterday. I wanted to know the lift and duration of the cam we were going to use, so I could order a torque converter from ATI. He told me not to waste my money. He deals with a company called Pat's which is just outside Philly, who makes converters that are as good as anybody else at a much cheaper price. I called the guy and gave him all the particulars on the car, and he said he could build me a 3K stall converter that will handle 400 HP for $295. About half the price of an ATI converter. Maybe I can afford that chrome water pump now. :dance
Chevy water pumps should be painted Chevrolet Orange. Ditch the chrome plated water pump (which is going to fail, just like the orange one, and cost more to replace when it does) and invest in a dual electric fan cooling system for the radiator. You'll cool the engine better, save gas, gain HP, and avoid those troublesome fan clutch problems. There are reasons the big boys don't spin big-assed fans with fan belts ...

And, all you'll ever see of that chrome water pump is the very top of it.

As you can see, I'm not a big fan of chrome plated engine parts. Valve covers, for example, look much better in anodized aluminum with a flat black trim, IMHO. If you want bling, use the chrome plated wing nuts for the valve cover bolts.

Think about this ... Yoda was right about the heater core way back when ... :lol:

w2amr
11-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Gotta keep it old school. None of them fancy scmancy lectric fans for me. I am going to rebuild to rag joint if that makes you feel better. :snicker:

N4VGB
11-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Gotta keep it old school. None of them fancy scmancy lectric fans for me. I am going to rebuild to rag joint if that makes you feel better. :snicker:

Google hits for the term "rag joint" just went off the charts! :rofl:

KG4CGC
11-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Truth.

ad4mg
11-18-2009, 04:15 AM
Good idea ... maybe a fiberglass fan with a spacer in place of the fan clutch? :D

And a chrome water pump ... :roll:

w2amr
11-18-2009, 04:37 AM
Good idea ... maybe a fiberglass fan with a spacer in place of the fan clutch? :D

And a chrome water pump ... :roll:Don't have a fan clutch either. We ain't cooling a big block here.

ad4mg
11-18-2009, 05:45 AM

And a chrome water pump ... :roll:Don't have a fan clutch either. We ain't cooling a big block here.
No factory A/C on that puppy? Mercy ...

My 1969 Olds 442, W32 pkg, (400 cid, 355 hp) had factory A/C on it. Good thing, too, the interior was black. Sure wished I still had that ride!

w2amr
11-18-2009, 06:20 AM

No factory A/C on that puppy? Mercy ...

My 1969 Olds 442, W32 pkg, (400 cid, 355 hp) had factory A/C on it. Good thing, too, the interior was black. Sure wished I still had that ride!AC? We dun nee na stinkin' AC!

w2amr
11-18-2009, 06:23 AM

My 1969 Olds 442, W32 pkg, (400 cid, 355 hp) had factory A/C on it. Good thing, too, the interior was black. Sure wished I still had that ride!That would be worth a bunch today. I had a 65 Impala SS 4 speed. The thing that made it unique was the fact that it had a 360 HP 409 in it. Half way through the production run in 65 Chevy dropped the 409 and starting using 325 HP 396's . But most of the big block 65 Impalas I saw had 396's in them. I won a bunch of trophys with that car at Atco Dragway. It ran constant 14:20,s with street tires.

W5GA
11-18-2009, 09:19 AM
That would be worth a bunch today. I had a 65 Impala SS 4 speed. The thing that made it unique was the fact that it had a 360 HP 409 in it. Half way through the production run in 65 Chevy dropped the 409 and starting using 325 HP 396's . But most of the big block 65 Impalas I saw had 396's in them. I won a bunch of trophys with that car at Atco Dragway. It ran constant 14:20,s with street tires.[/quote]
Pretty good times for a boat. One of the kids I went to high school with had a 64 409 4 speed that he got from his grandparents. It was one of the faster cars in school. The quickest was a 69 Z-28 hands down. My '56 F-100 was in a different league. Not much you could do to a Y-block to make it fast and still live.

I wish I still had my 70 GTO, 455 4 speed.

N4VGB
11-18-2009, 01:40 PM
But without all of us who dumped our classic cars for a song before they were considered classic cars, how would Barrett-Jackson and their ilk make millions of bucks!? :cry:

:rofl:

w2amr
11-20-2009, 03:22 AM
I now have all the parts for the steering gear in my grubby little hands. Rebuilt steering box. New inner and outer tie rod ends, adjuster sleeves, drag link, and idler arm. I painted everything to match the frame, and I should have it all back on the car this weekend. The tranny shop called , and the th-350 is finished. I'll pick that up on Sat. Onward and upward.

ad4mg
11-20-2009, 05:21 AM
I now have all the parts for the steering gear in my grubby little hands. Rebuilt steering box. New inner and outer tie rod ends, adjuster sleeves, drag link, and idler arm. I painted everything to match the frame, and I should have it all back on the car this weekend. The tranny shop called , and the th-350 is finished. I'll pick that up on Sat. Onward and upward.
Did they put in a shift kit so you can chirp the tires when she shifts into second gear? :D

w2amr
11-20-2009, 05:25 AM
Did they put in a shift kit so you can chirp the tires when she shifts into second gear? :DChirp? This bi tch better smokem when it shifts into 2nd gear. :yes:

N2NH
11-20-2009, 07:56 AM
How about some pix George? It'd be great to see how the whole thing is coming along.
:agree:

N4VGB
11-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Did they put in a shift kit so you can chirp the tires when she shifts into second gear? :DChirp? This bi tch better smokem when it shifts into 2nd gear. :yes:

Chirp is what baby birds do in the nest. We're looking for............

w2amr
11-20-2009, 04:12 PM
How about some pix George? It'd be great to see how the whole thing is coming along.
:agree:I should have the steering finished this weekend John. I'll post some pix .

w2amr
11-22-2009, 02:28 AM
The steering is finished. I'll put the sway bar and front shocks on after the engine is back in, then the suspension will be done.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2638/4121229427_5b58bb6f26_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2616/4122001294_11e6ab3291_o.jpg

w2amr
11-24-2009, 02:53 AM
I picked up the transmission yesterday. I should have the Engine and torque converter by the end of the week. :dance

kf0rt
11-24-2009, 06:36 PM
A bit OT, but you guys might enjoy this short clip from a bud of mine, while waiting for George's next set of pix:

http://vimeo.com/7801309

Old Ford/Shelby racing dood from high school who mostly sends me RWN stuff in email. No pics of me in there, but I did shoot the B&W of him with his sunglasses and shit-eatin' grin behind the wheel of his Torino back in 1973 or so.

Gorgeous work, BTW George. I hope we all get a "virtual ride" in her when she's done.

w2amr
11-29-2009, 02:51 AM
I hope we all get a "virtual ride" in her when she's done.I was thinking that would be fun.
I got the front rotor/hubs and wheels back on. It's good to see it sitting on all fours again. If I pick up the engine and torque converter this week, I'm going to try to get the engine and trans back in the car next weekend.

W5GA
11-29-2009, 10:58 PM
I hope we all get a "virtual ride" in her when she's done.I was thinking that would be fun.
I got the front rotor/hubs and wheels back on. It's good to see it sitting on all fours again. If I pick up the engine and torque converter this week, I'm going to try to get the engine and trans back in the car next weekend.
Are you planning any dyno pulls, or just drive it?

w2amr
11-30-2009, 03:02 AM
Are you planning any dyno pulls, or just drive it?I think I'll just drive it.

KG4CGC
11-30-2009, 03:08 AM
Nuttin' rong wit dat.

N4VGB
11-30-2009, 01:00 PM
It's good to see it sitting on all fours again.

It must be good to be a car, I was down on all fours the other day and faced nothing but ridicule over the affair. :oops: :lol:

w2amr
11-30-2009, 03:47 PM
It's good to see it sitting on all fours again.

It must be good to be a car, I was down on all fours the other day and faced nothing but ridicule over the affair. :oops: :lol:You have my condolences.

w2amr
12-13-2009, 03:07 AM
The engine is finished and I'll pick it up next week. Here is how it all adds up. The stock 350 was rated at 170HP. The stock bore was increased from 4" to 4. 030". The stock stroke was 3.48" increased to 3.75" = 382.67 cubic inches. According to the calculator this brought the HP up to 370. Then increase the compression ratio from 8.5-1 to 10.5-1 and the HP goes to 392. Then add a high lift long duration camshaft, some head work, free flowing exhaust , and I'm looking at around 425 HP now. Which is exactly the number the engine builder gave me. With the new 3K stall converter and 373 gears, this thing should launch like nobody's business. :dance

KG4CGC
12-13-2009, 04:05 AM
But don't drive it over 40. OK?

N8YX
12-13-2009, 09:38 AM
But don't drive it over 40. OK?
I can't drive 55... :snicker:

N4VGB
12-13-2009, 12:51 PM
I hope the cops in George's area are a forgiving bunch! :lol:

I'm having visions of those nasty "license points" piling up quickly and the very sweet "collector car insurance" rates going to hell even quicker. :whistle

w2amr
12-14-2009, 02:45 AM
I hope the cops in George's area are a forgiving bunch! :lol:

I'm having visions of those nasty "license points" piling up quickly and the very sweet "collector car insurance" rates going to hell even quicker. :whistle
Old hot rodders usually know where to, and where not to. ;)

N4VGB
12-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Project on hold for Christmas I presume???

w2amr
12-23-2009, 03:02 AM
Project on hold till spring.

KG4CGC
12-23-2009, 03:18 AM
Even the bearing grease has solidified but no worries. The Spring thaw will be here before you know it, trickling in little by little until that last nut you tightened a couple of weeks ago, breaks free from, grease-lock.

w2amr
12-23-2009, 04:03 AM
Even the bearing grease has solidified but no worries. The Spring thaw will be here before you know it, trickling in little by little until that last nut you tightened a couple of weeks ago, breaks free from, grease-lock.
I'll have you know sir, there is no grease on my nuts. :snooty

KG4CGC
12-23-2009, 04:17 AM
I'll have you know sir, there is no grease on my nuts. :snooty
You're gonna love my nuts!

N4VGB
12-24-2009, 11:57 AM

Sometimes I forget where you live. Winter slows down little but the grass growing down here. Even an unheated garage area can be worked in most of the Winter around here, today it's actually quite warm, officially listed as 50 degrees F right now but the sun is shining bright and clear making it feel much warmer. :whistle

w2amr
12-24-2009, 01:03 PM

Sometimes I forget where you live. Winter slows down little but the grass growing down here. Even an unheated garage area can be worked in most of the Winter around here, today it's actually quite warm, officially listed as 50 degrees F right now but the sun is shining bright and clear making it feel much warmer. :whistle
We have been in a deep freeze the past couple of weeks. It's supposed to get up near 50 Sat with rain. Maybe it will get rid of this GD snow.
I have everything I need to put the engine and trans in, except the weather.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2624/4211589582_1faf661469_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2754/4211589560_2a8ef1def9_o.jpg

kf0rt
12-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Take the plastic off that thang, George!

We wanna see! :agree:

w2amr
12-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Take the plastic off that thang, George!

We wanna see! :agree:
Nothing much to see except an orange block and heads. I'll post some shots when it's back together.

KG4CGC
12-24-2009, 03:08 PM
That tranny needs warning labels.

w2amr
12-24-2009, 03:09 PM
It does?

KG4CGC
12-24-2009, 03:11 PM
It does?
Yep, and pin stripes.

w2amr
12-24-2009, 04:06 PM
It does?
Yep, and pin stripes.
I'll have to run this by Luke. :think

w2amr
12-25-2009, 04:24 AM
Out of curiosity, I just totaled up the receipts on what I've spent on this project. Up to this point A little over $3800. Not too bad really.

ad4mg
12-25-2009, 06:24 AM
It does?
Yep, and pin stripes.
I'll have to run this by Luke. :think
Just a B&M Performance sticker will do. You did get the shift kit, I assume? 8)

w2amr
12-25-2009, 07:01 AM
Just a B&M Performance sticker will do. You did get the shift kit, I assume?

No, I told him I didn't want the thing slamming into gear. He said he modified the control valves for firm shifts, but it won't be objectionably harsh.

N4VGB
12-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Out of curiosity, I just totaled up the receipts on what I've spent on this project. Up to this point A little over $3800. Not too bad really.

:clap: Most excellent penny pinching George, by today's standards you've accomplished much for little! :clap:

w2amr
12-25-2009, 02:48 PM

:clap: Most excellent penny pinching George, by today's standards you've accomplished much for little! :clap:
Can you imagine what the tab would be if I had to pay somebody to do all the work?

N4VGB
12-25-2009, 02:58 PM

Can you imagine what the tab would be if I had to pay somebody to do all the work?

Easy one, something like this :shock: :sick

N8YX
12-25-2009, 03:41 PM

I shudder to think how much my out-of-pocket expenses would be for all of the work (both 'custom' and routine service alike) which I've performed on my bikes over the years.

w2amr
12-26-2009, 03:06 AM

I shudder to think how much my out-of-pocket expenses would be for all of the work (both 'custom' and routine service alike) which I've performed on my bikes over the years.
Our local Harley dealer gets about $200 for an oil change. How lame is it to have to pay somebody to change your motorcycle oil?

N8YX
12-26-2009, 07:19 AM
Our local Harley dealer gets about $200 for an oil change. How lame is it to have to pay somebody to change your motorcycle oil?
I work with a number of mid- and upper-management types who are owners of mostly late-model H-D touring bikes.

Almost without exception, these guys

A) Pay to have their bikes trailered to the dealer for service (in one case, less than two miles from residence)

B) Pay for routine maintenance items which any owner should know how to perform. (I don't consider oil or primary case/tranny lube changes to be rocket science, but they willingly open the wallet.)

C) Pay to have bike trailered back to residence upon completion of work.

One of my friends had cruise control installed on his '09 Ultra earlier in the year, before he moved away. An area dealership did the job...when the guy was cranking down the freeway and activated cruise control for the first time, it tripped a number of breakers and shut the bike off. Bike was trailered back to said dealership...inspection revealed an overlooked, pinched wire under one of the handlebar switch housings.

This is one of the reasons why I do my own work.

The only thing stopping me is the lack of a given specialty tool, and I've been buying (or making) those as I go along.

w2amr
12-29-2009, 03:26 AM
Whoops. I just found another stack of receipts totaling $735. The new total is $4535. Still not too bad though.

KG4CGC
12-29-2009, 04:29 AM
Whoops. I just found another stack of receipts totaling $735. The new total is $4535. Still not too bad though.
You know, if you had wound your own coils you could have saved a few bucks. :giggity:

w2amr
12-29-2009, 05:10 AM
You know, if you had wound your own coils you could have saved a few bucks. :giggity:
What can I say, I guess I'm just another appliance operator.

KG4CGC
12-29-2009, 05:16 AM
It can also be therapeutic.

w2amr
12-29-2009, 06:05 AM
It can also be therapeutic.
So can counting tires in a junk yard.

KG4CGC
12-29-2009, 06:23 AM
:giggity:

N4VGB
12-29-2009, 03:05 PM
A) Pay to have their bikes trailered to the dealer for service (in one case, less than two miles from residence)

B) Pay for routine maintenance items which any owner should know how to perform. (I don't consider oil or primary case/tranny lube changes to be rocket science, but they willingly open the wallet.)

C) Pay to have bike trailered back to residence upon completion of work.

My next door neighbor does that routine with his New Holland tractor, very expensive service. :yes:

I've been trying to talk him into letting me do it for him, should put a big smile on both our faces. I can probably do the routine service for half of what the dealer is charging him and make out like a bandit at the same time. :lol:

w2amr
01-01-2010, 02:58 AM
We used to throw these things in the trash.
http://www.ecklerschevelle.com/product.asp?pf%5Fid=608138&dept%5Fid=1889

kc7jty
01-01-2010, 03:39 AM
and that was the right move.

w2amr
01-01-2010, 08:23 AM
and that was the right move.
They were a step above vise grips on the transmission arms

kc7jty
01-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Foxcraft

http://squidsfabshop.com/muncrebu/images/rebuild28.jpghttp://www.camaros.org/images/pages/decoding/trans_muncie_code.jpg
http://media.apples4theteacher.com/images/icons/jester.gif

KG4CGC
01-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Don't hurt the splines!

kc7jty
01-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Don't hurt the splines!
http://www.fotosearch.com/bthumb/BCP/BCP119/BCP019-37.jpg
forget the splines, what about the pilot hole?

w2amr
01-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Foxcraft

http://squidsfabshop.com/muncrebu/images/rebuild28.jpghttp://www.camaros.org/images/pages/decoding/trans_muncie_code.jpg
http://media.apples4theteacher.com/images/icons/jester.gif
Them things are like gold now. Guys like us killed most of them.

N4VGB
01-02-2010, 04:47 PM
http://www.camaros.org/images/pages/decoding/trans_muncie_code.jpg

M22 "Rockcrusher" :D

kc7jty
01-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Guys like us killed most of them.
Yes, they could be fairly easily had for $100 in 1970 from a speed shop or wrecking yard. I had an M20 wide box from a 69 Z/28 in my 64 Chevy II.

had one of these too:
http://www.camaros.org/images/l30m20/l30m20-350engine.gif
stock (before I worked it up) 1967 Camaro 350/295hp.

W5GA
01-02-2010, 09:30 PM
You guys can keep the M22's. I'd rather have a real 4 speed, like these.

kc7jty
01-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Borg Warner?

N4VGB
01-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Borg Warner?

Ford Toploaders

w2amr
01-03-2010, 02:35 AM
Nothing like the sound of an M-22 Rock crusher, with those straight cut gears whining away. :yes:

KG4CGC
01-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Nothing like the sound of an M-22 Rock crusher, with those straight cut gears whining away. :yes:
The sound carries for quite a distance especially under ground cloud ducting. That when the atmosphere seems like it just drops and there is a ceiling just 30 feet over your head. The most obscure sounds carry for a very good distance and can also seem quite eerie.

W5GA
01-03-2010, 11:07 AM
I won't argue that, there was no doubt when one was around. And they get extra points for nostalgia, just 'cuz. Same with a Pete Jackson gear drive, or a 6-71 blower. I prefer reliability though. Like a Ford 9", you really have to work at it to dent a top loader.

N4VGB
01-03-2010, 02:18 PM
I won't argue that, there was no doubt when one was around. And they get extra points for nostalgia, just 'cuz. Same with a Pete Jackson gear drive, or a 6-71 blower. I prefer reliability though. Like a Ford 9", you really have to work at it to dent a top loader.

But you could have your Pete Jackson gear drive with straight or helical cut teeth, or more simply put noisy or quiet. Did anybody ever order the helical/quiet gears??? :lol:

I never heard of anybody around here going for the quiet setup! :rofl:

W5GA
01-03-2010, 08:46 PM
But you could have your Pete Jackson gear drive with straight or helical cut teeth, or more simply put noisy or quiet. Did anybody ever order the helical/quiet gears??? :lol:

Nobody that I ever met got the helical one. They wanted it more for bragging rights than for accurate timing. An interesting side note...you can't even use a gear drive in the newer motors such as my LT1. The gear drives and knock sensors don't play nicely with each other.

N4VGB
01-04-2010, 06:25 PM

Nobody that I ever met got the helical one. They wanted it more for bragging rights than for accurate timing. An interesting side note...you can't even use a gear drive in the newer motors such as my LT1. The gear drives and knock sensors don't play nicely with each other.

And then there was the problem of a cam button being necessary to hold the cam in place, since it tends to walk forward with the gear drive setup.

I never had any problem with any engine using a chain drive on the cam, link/plate or roller. Even my old '76 Ford van with it's 351W using a nylon toothed timing chain that all told me would bite me on the butt sooner or later, never failed and had 400K+ miles on it when sold.

I did put a Pete Jackson gear drive with a very nice die cast aluminum front cover on a 302" SB Chevy engine in a '57 Chevy once. The reason? Gear drive and cover were given to me free while building the engine. :lol: It looked real nice with die cast aluminum valve covers and a cast aluminum cross ram dual 4 barrel carb setup. It took me forever to get that thing to run correctly, turned out the correct way to tune those Holleys involved very odd and staggered jet sizes. :twisted: Otherwise some cylinders were rich, while others were lean at the same time!

w2amr
03-24-2010, 02:36 AM
Well, spring has sprung and it's time to get my ass in gear. The engine builder painted the engine Chevy orange using VHT paint. I painted the intake manifold Chevy orange using duplicolor. They don't match. I could paint over the duplicolor with VHT, but what if the paints aren't compatible? The last thing I need is to have the paint peeling off the intake after I get this thing done. Sooooooooo, I had the intake sandblasted last week. Now I know the paint will stick. I ordered A new Hays HD flex plate yesterday from Jegs. I now have everything I need to put the engine and trans back in the car.

N4VGB
03-24-2010, 11:24 AM
I now have everything I need to put the engine and trans back in the car.

The George picture show starts again. It'll keep your mind off the cigarettes also.

WØTKX
03-24-2010, 01:59 PM
All the cars I used to wrench on preferred Weber carbs... 'twas my Opel Disease. :rock:

I got pretty good at figuring those things out. Even put one on a Maverick with a straight six, after fighting with the stock stuff. Mostly because I could get them wholesale. :giggity:

Fuel injection rocks.

w2amr
03-24-2010, 02:46 PM
I now have everything I need to put the engine and trans back in the car.

The George picture show starts again. It'll keep your mind off the cigarettes also.
I think the red X was supposed to be a picture. :think

N9FE
03-24-2010, 02:51 PM
You got to put a 850 double pumper on er george. Then when you step on the foot feed it sounds like toilet flushing. Kaa WOOSH. You can also shift by the gas gauge instead of the tachometer as we used to say.

w2amr
03-24-2010, 02:58 PM
You got to put a 850 double pumper on er george. Then when you step on the foot feed it sounds like toilet flushing. Kaa WOOSH. You can also shift by the gas gauge instead of the tachometer as we used to say.
Nah, I'm going to use the stock cast iron manifold with a rebuilt 750 Quadra Jet.

w2amr
03-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Well they got some more of my money today. From Jegs I ordered the new Valve covers with chrome hold downs and wing nuts. Timing chain cover, air cleaner, chrome thermostat housing, chrome dist hold down clamp. I also ordered a rebuilt 750 quadra jet from Summet. I got all the gaskets I need from napa.

KG4CGC
03-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Well they got some more of my money today. From Jegs I ordered the new Valve covers with chrome hold downs and wing nuts. Timing chain cover, air cleaner, chrome thermostat housing, chrome dist hold down clamp. I also ordered a rebuilt 750 quadra jet from Summet. I got all the gaskets I need from napa.
Sounds like you're going to be giddy as well!

w2amr
03-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Sounds like you're going to be giddy as well!
I'm really chompin at the bit to get this engine together.

kf0rt
03-29-2010, 05:30 PM
A bud just sent me this video (Jay Leno's Garage), check it out...

http://widgets.nbc.com/o/47f1317f105123ad/498ebd00a62edaa0/47fe70d4555df05a/9e46bd46/-cpid/ba4377d3bfd6c81

w2amr
03-30-2010, 02:37 AM
A bud just sent me this video (Jay Leno's Garage), check it out...

http://widgets.nbc.com/o/47f1317f105123ad/498ebd00a62edaa0/47fe70d4555df05a/9e46bd46/-cpid/ba4377d3bfd6c81
Amazing.

w2amr
04-04-2010, 05:21 AM
I got the VHT part number for the paint the engine builder used, and order several cans of it. I painted the intake manifold again and it still didn't match the paint on the engine. WTF? So I repainted the entire engine. Yesterday I put the intake manifold and oil pan on. I also installed the new timing chain cover and valve covers. I'll put on the engine mounts , put the torque converter in the trans, and the engine and trans will be ready to go back in the car.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4488774915_223def1ffc_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4026/4489420976_d7e7b0cd3a_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2710/4489420954_a57f5bd7ce_o.jpg

ad4mg
04-04-2010, 06:26 AM
I got the VHT part number for the paint the engine builder used, and order several cans of it. I painted the intake manifold again and it still didn't match the paint on the engine. WTF? So I repainted the entire engine. Yesterday I put the intake manifold and oil pan on. I also installed the new timing chain cover and valve covers. I'll put on the engine mounts , put the torque converter in the trans, and the engine and trans will be ready to go back in the car.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4488774915_223def1ffc_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4026/4489420976_d7e7b0cd3a_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2710/4489420954_a57f5bd7ce_o.jpg
Cork valve cover gaskets, good choice! Neoprene lasts longer, but cork seals much better.

I see you painted the threaded holes for the water pump and mounting brackets on the front of the engine (or, at least it looks that way from the pic). Best to run a bottom tap through them to clean them out.

And, do yourself a favor ... use some anti-seize on the bolt threads for the stuff on the front of the motor. You won't be pulling these bolts again for years, and you'll thank yourself for doing so one day!

The engine looks terrific, George! I love the valve covers and timing cover. I was hoping you wouldn't go for the "all chrome" look!

ad4mg
04-04-2010, 06:29 AM
Oh, and paint a line on the timing tab, where the timing should be set, while you can get to it. I can see you now trying to get a Sharpie through all the belts and stuff to mark the tab ... :D

w2amr
04-04-2010, 06:57 AM
I will run a tap through all the holes I plan to use.
The new balancer has the numbers on it, all I need is the TDC zero on the timing tab. :agree:

w2amr
04-04-2010, 07:03 AM
The engine looks terrific, George! I love the valve covers and timing cover. I was hoping you wouldn't go for the "all chrome" look!

Tnx Luke, I wanted to go for something with a little different look. BTW, I also have the matching air cleaner . Flat black wrinkle finish, with the red Chevrolet and red bow tie.

N9FE
04-04-2010, 09:21 AM
I like the black as well.. Very nice george. Would be cool to make a video of that bugger firing for the first time.. The virgin start we used to say..

N4VGB
04-04-2010, 09:27 AM
I like da black valve and timing chain covers.

VHT was always good on the color match, dunno why you had that problem???

w2amr
04-04-2010, 09:53 AM
I like the black as well.. Very nice george. Would be cool to make a video of that bugger firing for the first time.. The virgin start we used to say..
I will make it so. :agree:

w2amr
04-04-2010, 09:54 AM
I like da black valve and timing chain covers.

VHT was always good on the color match, dunno why you had that problem???
I don't know either. Maybe the engine builder got a bad batch or something, but it wasn't even close.

KG4CGC
04-04-2010, 09:55 AM
I will make it so. :agree:
Aye.

WØTKX
04-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Diggit! :agree:

Here's some inspiration for yer anticipation, eh?

[youtube:69ko4xsc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyh2yUE-5ZQ[/youtube:69ko4xsc]

KB3LAZ
04-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Okay so I have this pretty blue car with an orange engine block. Is there a story behind why GM used such a god awful color rather than using a matching block or a port polished color?

KG4CGC
04-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Okay so I have this pretty blue car with an orange engine block. Is there a story behind why GM used such a god awful color rather than using a matching block or a port polished color?
I believe the colors were decided long ago when nobody gave two shats. The manufacturers decided what they would all use as an aid in identification. Since then, it is just the tradition.

KB3LAZ
04-04-2010, 11:51 AM
I believe the colors were decided long ago when nobody gave two shats. The manufacturers decided what they would all use as an aid in identification. Since then, it is just the tradition.

Every time I open the hood of my car it reminds me of the summers of my youth picking oranges in my grandfathers backyard in Bradenton. Ofc this causes me to remember getting bitched out by a beach cop for trying to smuggle clams off of the beach in a sand bucket. I was 9...he was a dick. Could have just said "Son you cant take living creatures home from the beach please dump them out". But no!! I got read the federal riot act so to speak on attempting to smuggle feral creatures into another state in my sand bucket. Ofc I didn't tell him that while still in Florida the creatures were indicative and that they would only become feral creatures once taken across state lines. Then again I was nine. :neener:

Hum, this has nothing to do with cars. So I have ADD, what of it? :rofl:

w2amr
04-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Diggit! :agree:

Here's some inspiration for yer anticipation, eh?

[youtube:30bb1st1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyh2yUE-5ZQ[/youtube:30bb1st1]
Tnx, but I have plenty of inspiration and anticipation. What I need is more time and money.

WØTKX
04-04-2010, 11:53 AM

:rofl: And maybe a little PTSD from that last girl, eh?

You better talk to the bartender...

w2amr
04-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Okay so I have this pretty blue car with an orange engine block. Is there a story behind why GM used such a god awful color rather than using a matching block or a port polished color?What is a port polished color?

KB3LAZ
04-04-2010, 11:56 AM

:rofl: And maybe a little PTSD from that last girl, eh?

You better talk to the bartender...

:rofl: Na, Im much better now that I have moved on but this one is only 32 and she is a co-worker. :shhh

KB3LAZ
04-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Okay so I have this pretty blue car with an orange engine block. Is there a story behind why GM used such a god awful color rather than using a matching block or a port polished color?What is a port polished color?

Looks blueish to grey in color. So its not a real color but I figured that you would know what I meant.

KG4CGC
04-04-2010, 11:59 AM

Looks blueish to grey in color. So its not a real color but I figured that you would know what I meant.
You mean the color that steel takes on after it has been VERY heated?

KB3LAZ
04-04-2010, 12:02 PM

You mean the color that steel takes on after it has been VERY heated?

Yea but shiny.

KG4CGC
04-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Even painted header pipes at the manifold tend to change color. The chrome ones turn the color you describe.

KB3LAZ
04-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Even painted header pipes at the manifold tend to change color. The chrome ones turn the color you describe.

I know my super comp hooker headers on my roadrunner turned this color. Seems that many crate engines are already this color. Skipping the waiting process and going for the end results? :lol:

WØTKX
04-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Tnx, but I have plenty of inspiration and anticipation. What I need is more time and money.

My stupid New Yorker with "big block TNT" could do that low speed squeal-o-torque.
And it was a coppery brown/orange color.

What the hell is wrong with orange? My fastest ski socks are orange! ;)

Orange is really cool with indigo blues, high contrast... :popcorn:

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2811/4461/7027230036_large.jpg

KG4CGC
04-04-2010, 12:10 PM

I know my super comp hooker headers on my roadrunner turned this color. Seems that many crate engines are already this color. Skipping the waiting process and going for the end results? :lol:
Maybe from the dyno test before shipping? Where's Mr. Owl? We need to ask him.

w2amr
04-04-2010, 12:12 PM

I know my super comp hooker headers on my roadrunner turned this color. Seems that many crate engines are already this color.
It's think called bare metal, Soon to be rust brown. :lol:

KG4CGC
04-04-2010, 12:18 PM

I know my super comp hooker headers on my roadrunner turned this color. Seems that many crate engines are already this color.
Nah, just spray used cooking oil on them.

w2amr
04-04-2010, 12:22 PM

My stupid New Yorker with "big block TNT" could do that low speed squeal-o-torque.

Must be a generation gap thing. :sick

KB3LAZ
04-04-2010, 12:22 PM

No, from the description they have some kind of clear coat on them.

KB3LAZ
04-04-2010, 12:23 PM

Must be a generation gap thing. :sick

Naw, there is a generational gap between you and I and I still find that god awful ugly.

w2amr
04-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Thank God, I thought it was just me. :lol:

KB3LAZ
04-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Every time I hear this song I think of a good old American muscle car. On a side note my car has never denied me entry. :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bomv-6CJ ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bomv-6CJSfM&feature=related)

w2amr
04-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Well Guys, it was a very productive Sat.
I'm happy. :rock: :dance:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/4508027393_b68f4eb5b7_o.jpg

KG4CGC
04-10-2010, 01:58 PM
You gonna drive it to Sout Kacalacky anytime soon? We got the Rebel Diner that does a stars and cars, (read as stars and bars).
Nebermimb.

N4VGB
04-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Just in time for the next Barrett-Jackson auction!? :lol:

Those numbers matching cars bring the BIG MONEY ya know? :lol:

NA4BH
04-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Well Guys, it was a very productive Sat.
I'm happy. :rock: :dance:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/4508027393_b68f4eb5b7_o.jpg

Well, there's your problem. Somebody stole the front of the car. :rofl:

w2amr
04-13-2010, 02:39 AM
Ok, so you guys aren't interested. That's cool. :agree:

ad4mg
04-13-2010, 03:49 AM
What? You did it ... promising a video of the startup. We're waiting on that!

Aren't interested ... 456 replies and almost 1500 views. I'll be muttering to myself about this all day. :think

w2amr
04-13-2010, 04:05 AM
What? You did it ... promising a video of the startup. We're waiting on that!

Aren't interested ... 456 replies and almost 1500 views. I'll be muttering to myself about this all day. :think
Take two of something and call somebody in the morning. You'll be fine. :lol:
One month without a ciggie, help. :wall

w2amr
04-13-2010, 04:26 AM
I put the balancer on Sunday, and there seems to be a lot of room between the back of the balancer and the timing cover. But, It sounded like it bottomed out when I put it on. Oh well, if the other pullleys don't line up with the one on the crank , I got a fargon problem.

ad4mg
04-13-2010, 07:03 PM
I put the balancer on Sunday, and there seems to be a lot of room between the back of the balancer and the timing cover. But, It sounded like it bottomed out when I put it on. Oh well, if the other pullleys don't line up with the one on the crank , I got a fargon problem.
I hope the woodruff key didn't get cockeyed in the keyway. That would "feel" like it bottomed out, when it really didn't. Maybe you should pull it and have a look ... doesn't take but a few minutes!

w2amr
04-14-2010, 02:44 AM
I hope the woodruff key didn't get cockeyed in the keyway. That would "feel" like it bottomed out, when it really didn't. Maybe you should pull it and have a look ... doesn't take but a few minutes!
You're probably right. The key looked straight when I put the balancer on, but it could have moved I guess. Before I pull it off again, I'll measure the distance between the front of the balancer and the crank. Then I can figure out if it's up against the timing chain sprocket on the crank.

N9FE
04-14-2010, 08:09 AM
It's a thing of beauty george. Everything is so clean though. And no block and tackle hanging in the tree. My ma used say tree ornaments. She'd come home and if there was no motor hanging in the tree she thought we'd left home or something..

w2amr
04-14-2010, 01:46 PM
It's a thing of beauty george. Everything is so clean though. And no block and tackle hanging in the tree. My ma used say tree ornaments. She'd come home and if there was no motor hanging in the tree she thought we'd left home or something..Man does that bring back memories. We had a big old cherry tree in the corner of the yard that pulled many engines. :D

N9FE
04-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Forty years later and i betcha grass still don't grow under that tree. Yep that tree seen many a motor, tranny and clutch job.. To many to count..

w2amr
04-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Forty years later and i betcha grass still don't grow under that tree. Yep that tree seen many a motor, tranny and clutch job.. To many to count..
The tree is long gone. But I remember how the biggest branch had grown around the pullin' chain. :lol:

w2amr
04-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Good news, I put the water pump on today. The groove in the pump pulley lines up with the groove in the crank pulley. I'm good to go. :agree:

N4VGB
04-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Well George, it looks like my Camaro will be moving to a new home soon. A guy made me an offer today that I can't refuse (no, it's not like a NJ offer of the same type). :rofl:

I'm kinda moot on the sale. :chin:

Already informed the wife that another hot rod is coming, I'm just not sure when or what? I'm leaning towards something in the 30s-40s, mild street rod for cruising and travel to car shows. :chin:

Now hurry up and finish the Chevelle project! :cheers:

w2amr
04-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Well George, it looks like my Camaro will be moving to a new home soon. A guy made me an offer today that I can't refuse (no, it's not like a NJ offer of the same type). :rofl:

I'm kinda moot on the sale. :chin:

Already informed the wife that another hot rod is coming, I'm just not sure when or what? I'm leaning towards something in the 30s-40s, mild street rod for cruising and travel to car shows. :chin:

Carlisle or Hershey, and take a trailer with you. :agree:

ad4mg
04-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Good news, I put the water pump on today. The groove in the pump pulley lines up with the groove in the crank pulley. I'm good to go. :agree:
Good deal! I've had to take a small file to those damn keyways before when some numb-nut would use a sledgehammer to drive the harmonic balancer on ... the metal in crankshafts is extremely hard, but it's interesting how easily that keyway is damaged. :wall

NA4BH
04-14-2010, 06:53 PM
The first time I put a harmonic balance on a motor, I looked at it. It had stamped on it "Malleable". I didn't know what that meant at the time, but it sure was soft. :P :lol: I was 14.

W5GA
04-14-2010, 10:51 PM
The first time I put a harmonic balance on a motor, I looked at it. It had stamped on it "Malleable". I didn't know what that meant at the time, but it sure was soft. :P :lol: I was 14.
Bet it taught you how malleable you were too!

w2amr
04-16-2010, 04:20 AM
I treated myself to a chrome one wire.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Proform/778/141-657/10002/-1

KG4CGC
04-16-2010, 11:29 AM
I treated myself to a chrome one wire.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Proform/778/141-657/10002/-1
it's purdy

w2amr
04-17-2010, 06:32 AM
This past week I put on the balancer and bottom pulley , fuel pump, water pump, thermostat housing, and Alternator.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/4527445289_1fe8cfa42e_o.jpg
I know somebody is going to yell at me for the chrome Alternator and fuel pump. . :lol:

ad4mg
04-17-2010, 06:42 AM
This past week I put on the balancer and bottom pulley , fuel pump, water pump, thermostat housing, and Alternator.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/4527445289_1fe8cfa42e_o.jpg
I know somebody is going to yell at me for the chrome Alternator and fuel pump. . :lol:
and power brake booster and master cylinder and thermostat housing and ...

Sincerely,
Somebody :D

She's lookin' pretty good, George. A few more hours of toil and trouble and you'll be good to go! Break her in properly, now ... don't baby it, but don't abuse it! :agree:

N9FE
04-17-2010, 06:45 AM
A little chrome is OK , But ya know. Some guys just go way overboard. Waitin for the FIRE up !

w2amr
04-17-2010, 06:56 AM
Miles to go before I sleep. I still have the header issue to deal with. And, I have to buy a new radiator, P/S pump, starter, belts&hoses, and inner fenders. I can't drive it with this 2:73 gear or the 3K stall converter will be very unhappy. And I'm running out of fundage again. :wall

N9FE
04-17-2010, 08:29 AM
We used to wrap the headers with newspaper and masking tape to "try" to keep them clean.. The key word there is try.. 3000 degree white header paint was the ticket then.

N8YX
04-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Rule #1:

If it doesn't move, chrome it.

Rule #2:

If it moves, smack it 'til it stops...then chrome it.

:yes:

Looks good, George!

N4VGB
04-17-2010, 04:21 PM
And I'm running out of fundage again. :wall

Check out the Community Reinvestment Act via your local ACORN office, I think there may be funds for hot rodders there. Maybe some of those grant dollars? :whistle:

In all those billions of dollars of GivMint grants for BS, there's gotta be some $$$ for hot rodders Geroge? :lol:

w2amr
04-20-2010, 05:06 AM
I ordered these Monday, Looks like a pretty good deal.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9001-9/Application/?query=Model%7cCHEVELLE%7cEngine+Size%7c5.7L%2f350

W5GA
04-20-2010, 11:17 AM
I went to an uncoventional gas meet 2 weeks ago (CNG centered), and a guy there had a pristine '66 Goat that was CNG powered, with a cammed 455 Poncho motor and 3 "carbs" on an original progressive linkage. COOLAGE!!!
Just don't plan on putting anything besides a sack lunch in the trunk, it's full of CNG tanks. Here's a vid of the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFukrnn1xrM

w2amr
04-20-2010, 02:07 PM
I went to an uncoventional gas meet 2 weeks ago (CNG centered), and a guy there had a pristine '66 Goat that was CNG powered, with a cammed 455 Poncho motor and 3 "carbs" on an original progressive linkage. COOLAGE!!!
Just don't plan on putting anything besides a sack lunch in the trunk, it's full of CNG tanks. Here's a vid of the car.

You do that schitt to a Plymouth Volare or Ford Fairmont, not a GTO for christsakes.

KG4CGC
04-20-2010, 02:13 PM

You do that schitt to a Plymouth Volare or Ford Fairmont, not a GTO for christsakes.
George! I'm really surprised at you!
Who The Fsck is going to go out to see a fscking Volare? CNG or whatever the flavor may be?
You can't sell a product with a Volare or a Fairmont unless you are promoting your own personal birth control. In that case, IT IS 100% EFFECTIVE!
:rofl:

N4VGB
04-20-2010, 04:34 PM
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9001-9/Application/?query=Model%7cCHEVELLE%7cEngine+Size%7c5.7L%2f350

Ceramic coated headers are cool and look great, BUT ya gotta handle 'em gently while installing. One hard ding on something and they're liable to chip off a piece of ceramic. :sick: :cry:

w2amr
04-20-2010, 04:43 PM

Ceramic coated headers are cool and look great, BUT ya gotta handle 'em gently while installing. One hard ding on something and they're liable to chip off a piece of ceramic. :sick: :cry:
I will be very careful.

w2amr
05-02-2010, 05:28 AM
As of this morning. The new chrome upper radiator support still hasn't come yet..

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3502/4570109657_136bdb13b4_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/4570747244_218c8daaf4_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/4570132657_cdc41f4c72_o.jpg

w2amr
05-03-2010, 05:02 PM
I decided to deep six the old points dist. I'm going with a 4 pin HEI unit.
http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/hei.htm

KG4CGC
05-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Smart :)

N9FE
05-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Looking Damn good george.

KU0DM
05-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Think it'll be done by October George?
I'd love to have that as my first car :yes::rock:

N4VGB
05-03-2010, 07:11 PM

Good choice, still looks vintage correct.:agree:

N4VGB
05-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Think it'll be done by October George?
I'd love to have that as my first car :yes::rock:

Do you lapse into fantasy land often?

Oops, I forgot, Libertarian.

KU0DM
05-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Do you lapse into fantasy land often?

I like to pay a visit to Fantasy Land every now and then, figure you must get lonely. Being the sole permanent resident and all.

KG4CGC
05-03-2010, 09:51 PM
George, did you use to work for GM?

N4VGB
05-03-2010, 10:51 PM
I like to pay a visit to Fantasy Land every now and then, figure you must get lonely. Being the sole permanent resident and all.

Not me, Ron Paul is King there.:lol:

He scares me!:scared:

ad4mg
05-04-2010, 04:09 AM
Good choice! I imagine a set of points are fairly pricey these days, and GM's were always hell on those things!

My 69 Olds 442 had a insatiable appetite for both gas and points (back in the day) ... :lol:

W5GA
05-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Good choice! I imagine a set of points are fairly pricey these days, and GM's were always hell on those things!

My 69 Olds 442 had a insatiable appetite for both gas and points (back in the day) ... :lol:
It's not that, Luke... I bet his dwell meter bit it, and he can't find a new one.

N4VGB
05-04-2010, 12:44 PM
It's not that, Luke... I bet his dwell meter bit it, and he can't find a new one.

Now dat's funny!:rofl: